Guide: how to flash ATtiny13a based drivers (NANJG, QLITE, etc.) with custom firmware

I still use WinAVR to install AVRDUDE. WinAVR download | SourceForge.net

Note the warnings about the installer potentially damaging your PATH variable. I don’t remember if this is a real or imagined problem, but I suspect that it’s real. Before you run the WinAVR installer you should look up how to get to the Windows PATH variable and copy and paste it into Notepad or similar. After installing WinAVR go back to that place and copy the new ruined one. In Notepad combine that with the new ruined one and then paste that whole thing back in place of what WinAVR put there.

Hmmm, I see that this is intended as a replacement for WinAVR, which hasn’t been updated for years. Maybe I should be using MHV AVR Tools myself!

Hoop’s link appears to be the official webpage for this project, so IMO shouldn’t be changed to some ‘free software downloads’ type website. It appears that they are simply having a DNS outage )or are in the middle of a hosting/DNS change).

You are probably right.
In other news, I really can’t get this to work. Everything installed correctly and I’ve gone over my clip pin order 5 times, but AVRDude still says “target doesn’t answer”
edit: I guess the 6th time is the charm. now it appears to be working

Pilotdog68, that’s got to be the single biggest hurdle in this process for most folks: getting AVRDUDE to stop giving error messages. Either “target doesn’t answer” or “avrdude: Expected signature for ATtiny13 is 1E 90 07” can be maddening.

The pictures and instructions in the OP are spot on, but it just so happens that the wires on the connector end of my cable were the exact opposite (flipped) of what the op had. So I kept rechecking the clip end, because that seemed the most likely place for me to have made a mistake, but it wasn’t there. It’s working now, so whatever

I can run a Windows machine, I have a selection I can borrow, but I normally use the dreaded Apple mac now.

Any one know off the top of their head if there is software to do the same on a Mac? Yes I can search, but if any one knows ?

You use the same software for flashing, AVRDUDE. For compiling or writing code talk to ToyKeeper. She uses Linux, many of the tools she uses should be available for Mac. That said, you very likely want an IDE - she could be using something which you will not comfortable with such as VI or Emacs + compiling on the command line.

Good job Hoop putting this together! I started doing something similar with a Word doc so when i get my hardware in I would be ready. You just saved me some time.

Any idea why my clip is working perfectly with one mcu, but on a different one it can’t find it? They’re both attiny13’s, nothing blocking a good connection, the chip is working fine in the light but avrdude can’t find it.

Try removing the MCU from the PCB.

ugh… I really didn’t want to do that.

I’ll try it, but why does it matter with one but not the other? they’re identical qlite’s

I’ve had the same problem, but I do not know why.

I put up videos here showing how to strip/assemble the PCB by hand: iPhone ready - Nanjg stripping and A17DD-SO8 building videos

Is it ok to program the attiny13a while the driver is connected to the led?

Yep. You can actually program them while the flashlight is on. LED will typically flash during the programming process. Not that I like doing this, but I’ve forgot to turn them off a couple of times.

Thanks for posting!!!

So I flashed a few firmwares, all went ok. Now when I connect the clip to the Attiny the light on the usbasp goes off and Windows makes the “usb device disconnected” sound. Is it something wrong with the chip on the driver? Driver does not work either now.

Typically that’s because the clip is shorting 5v to GND. Check your wiring.

I haven’t changed the wiring since succesfully flashing other firmwares.

I recommend that you check the wiring anyway.

It’s difficult to kill these drivers, but you say the driver doesn’t work now. USBASP seems to indicate a short. … and a short would certainly keep the driver from working.

You are very right. Tried on other drivers and it works like it should. So I have a short on this driver it seems.

Can you post clear photos of the driver?

If I didn’t see any obvious shorts I would remove the ATtiny13A and attempt to clip to that directly.