Has anyone got the Convoy L2 from FastTech?

I have found the same thing, and with XP-E you end up with 3 distinct stages in the hotspot.

As for tint: I think I may give cutting the dome off anther try… or try find a coating that will prevent the change in refractive index that seems to be the cause of the loss of blue light.

In regards to how many Sink-pads I have: I ordered 20 of each (XML and XPG) but it now looks like I will be getting 15 XML and 25 XPG (Nitro ran out of XMLs so can’t resend my full order). Looks like I will have extra XPG boards… otherwise you can order more yourself: get in touch with “vestureofblood”, he sells them for $2.40-$2.25 each + $4 shipping (USD). I ordered mine off him only 1 week ago and Nitro is yet to resend me order so they are probably awhile away yet (I’ll try get them tracked this time).

One quick tip with reflowing: Cree recommend a 3°C per second heat change for the LEDs… I let mine sit in the frying pan until up to temp before dropping them in the liquid solder. There is a company just down the road from where I am studying who make PCBs: I might take a bunch of Sinkpads and XM-L2s etc to them and see if they can reflow them for me.

The convoy L2 arrived:

ALLOT of torch for the money. GITD tailcap, anti-reflective lens, almost floorless finish. I cant think of one detail I would change.

If your after a torch that throws well for its size (and weight) this is not it. On the other hand… I think the host will be well capable of dealing with the heat a XM-L2 (on copper) at 6+ amps will be putting out. I just wish that could be achieved easily with a single 26650 as then this thing would be a monster.

I am a bit disappointed by the lack of any real extra throw compared to my JM26… but things are in motion to change that. :wink:

Nice.

Probably one of those lights that doesn’t have as big a ‘wow factor’ as smaller form factor throwers, but its not really the point of xml2, just look at the tn31mb, if that had the xml2 id have one by now.

Ive upgraded my multimeter with huge 30amp plus leads (alternator charge leads off an old car - had them lying around) and my DD c8 is drawing 4.2 amps at full charge, dropping like a stone quickly. Stock 2.98 amps and a60 1.65. Much better readings :slight_smile:

You may get 6 amps out of 2 18650’s yet :slight_smile:

Be nice to see this fully modded beside a zy08 fully modded, I think I know what my next purchase will be!

Chris

Hi Manual, thinking of purchasing one of these lights in the near future. How does the build quality compare to the JM26?

Today available as a host only, interesting...

Indeed.

It appears that quite a few Convoy lights are now available as hosts.

Build quality is very good… threads could be slightly cleaner but that is the only thing I can fault with the light. On par with the Jm26 I think.

I have also taken a couple of quick tail-cap measurements:

1x 18650 (unprotected panasonic 3100mAh, 4.1V ) = ~2.7A on high
2x 18650 (same batteries at 4.1V ) = ~1.3A

Assuming 90-95% driver efficiency the LED is getting around 2.3 - 2.6A which would explain why throw is fairly equal to the JM26 ( L2 hotspot is slightly smaller, spill is within a smaller angle and slightly brighter).

the l2 host has gone up at fasttech

I just wish they’d put up the driver dimensions it “looks” like the 3.5a 3mode driver from intloutdoor will fit. I’d just like to be sure. There is also the two 5a drivers I have, one or other of them may be persuaded to fit. fasttech also has xm-l2 cw available, t6 binned unfortunately but you could order everything to build up an xm-l2 l2 if you wished.

Shame I’m going to be skint for a while because I’m into building one of these now.

Hey, Gords! FT lists the driver as an LD29 which means it’s a 20mm driver.

yep, id got that, its the allowable deapth I’m interested in the driver I like is 19mm 21mm contact board but relatively deep. contact board is easy but the deapth is not :wink:

Gotcha. Sorry dude. :wink: I’m betting it will fit since I can get the 4A version to fit in a p60 pill. The 5A is no taller and I’m sure there is at least that much room in the pill.

You could always remove the LED base from a p60 pill and insert it into the existing L2 pill. You will have plenty of room for sure plus the base of the 5A driver will fit perfectly into the base then.

ah, no another 5a driver, I want this two cell its the toroid that will be the issue…

Well, aren’t I sailing the fail boat today while trying to help you? :stuck_out_tongue:

What driver are you planning on using? Got a link? You probably already posted a link to that too but what the heck. May as well go down with the ship today since I appear to be the failboat captain today. :D

give us a minute

here you go

I’m on a new browser, not sure I like it yet…

Whoa! That is a biggun’, isn’t it? Way taller than the one I was thinking of. Anyway, if I was to have an L2 I’d be running it in shorty mode simply because I don’t care for long lights. In my case, the 5A driver I thought it was would be a better choice. :wink:

What browser are you testing out?

I’ve downloaded firefox android. The galaxy browser doesn’t scale very well so blf was a bit too scrolly. This is better for that but the text editor buttons have gone tiny.

I’ll give it a bit and see how I feel.

I agree on the choices, I’ve come to like 2*26650 lights as well as little pocket rockets so for this one, I’d want it two cell at all times. I just like the heft of a traditional light as well as appreciating the use of my small lights for work.

Speaking of pocket rockets, have you noticed the m2 is available as a host too? I’m thinking of sticking a 3up xp-g2 in one with the 5a driver we were discussing originally. Looks pretty doable to me. :slight_smile:

I saw they have almost all the Convoys in host form. Shame only a couple are priced properly. The M2 is almost as pricey as a turnkey model. Not sure how they come to those prices unless Cree XM-L's and Nanjg drivers are pennies to buy and install. I figured the S3, M1 & M2 would be in the $10 range like the S2 and C8 are. Makes no sense to me.

AFA the M2, the problem would be in finding a proper TIR lens in a p60 size. The Carclo triple's are 20mm (perfect for the S3) and would require some serious build up of the head on an M1 or M2. Would look kind of silly with that small lens in that big body but I guess it would have great thermal potential. ;) But then who am I to talk? I'm building a Micromag with a triple XP-G2 and direct drive high mode. At least it will have med and low. LOL!

I was kind of thinking of doing similar to chicago x’s magic fire mod with a trim ring to reduce down to 20mm, the m2 is still cheaper than the d5 host I love. Although the d5 lends itself better to a tripple.

We appear to have done this to the thread 0:)

I got a c8 convoy today, best quality I’ve had in a c8 so far, so its understandable this thing is so well built :slight_smile:

Chris