Has your LED light bulb been hacked?

I like

I found a bulb the other day that runs on Bluetooth instead of WiFi. I too has a app and seems pretty neat. I am sure it could be hacked also. But it would be pretty easy to spot and catch the 16 year old in your bedroom with the laptop doing it. :slight_smile:

Contrary to popular believe, its not hard to connect to bluetooth over long range. Class 1 is up to 100mW, 100 meter. And since its 2.4GHz you can also add any wifi antenna to boost whatever bluetooth adapter you have.

Hopefully they didn’t get any maple syrup on the keyboard!

Gotta change my post #. 0:)

A LOT of WPS implementations are trivially hackable even if they have been turned off! Seems like Off does not mean OFF.

BTW, I was looking at my firewall logs and my system gets probed from all over the world at least once a minute. A lot of attempts lately from Germany where the CCC hacking convention is going on.

Here’s a cute live map of worldwide hacking attempts:

http://map.ipviking.com/

Point is the flaw was publicly disclosed in 2011.

We don’t know how long ago USB hardware started carrying malware clandestinely — I expect people who have boxes of old hardware and cables are going to have some imteresting surprises if they check back, and I hope some of them put dates on the stuff. Could be a few of these USB malware devices have been around for quite a while.

But it’s sure exploded since 2011. Just a few from the first page of a Google search:

Health warning: Now e-cigarettes can give you malware …
www.theguardian.com › Technology › Malware
The Guardian
Nov 21, 2014 - That might be a USB port plugged into a wall socket or the port on a … and when plugged into a computer’s USB port the malware phoned …

New Apple-targeting malware is unlike anything experts …
www.cbsnews.com/…/new-apple-targeting-malware-unlike-an…
CBS News
Nov 6, 2014 - The cybersecurity provider has named the malware WireLurker and said it monitors devices connected by a USB cable to an infected computer …

Researchers turn USB cable into attack tool - CNET <<<<<————-FIRST DISCLOSED IN 2011

CNET
Jan 19, 2011 - … click the mouse in order to steal files, download additional malware, or do other things … It’s a viral type of compromise using the USB cable.“.

vectored via USB: WireLurker is ‘new brand of threat’ [u]

Computerworld
Nov 6, 2014 - Calling it, “an impressive malware attack,” Jeremy Kirk dox the warp and weft … [It] waits for when an iOS device is connected by a USB cable.

New Flaws in USB Devices Let Attackers Install Malware …
www.eweek.com/…/new-flaws-in-usb-devices-let-attackers-install-malwa…
Aug 1, 2014 - In the MACTANS case, USB was simply used as the transport cable for the malware, but the point is the same. Anything you plug into a device, …

yes same here. What happened to the simple days where you put a bulb in a socket and flip a switch to turn it on or off.

They were banned by the gooberment…

Which goobermint? It spreads a tad wider than any one goobermint.

Whats funny is they were banned by the “freedom” and “business friendly” party because their corporate friends asked them to do it since they were low margin items

Other businesses have the clout to get deals made with other countries that allow them to sue foreign governments for banning the sale of deadly poisons in consumer products

So it’s about time to turn to candles…

someone will find a way to hack those too eventually.

Oh yeah, a long time ago I worked on an active firewall distribution using SNORT (more or less an interactive self defending firewall distribution called SmoothWall), it’s amazing how much port sniffs and hits are going on constantly, common exploits and other things that propagate the web…

Leave it to an entrepreneurial spirit to circumvent the ban
http://www.newcandescent.com/

Love that ipviking site….it’s what NORAD would be seeing during a nuclear weapon exchange more than likely

Shall we play a game…

Oh joy, another light bulb to hack:

An article with lots of links to some nifty real-time attack maps… The Kapersky one is rather nice… the Norse one is probably the most informative.

There’s also a USB wall charger that sniffs the RF link on various wireless keyboards, decodes the crypto (what there is of it), and relays all your keystrokes to the bad guys. The charger does not need to be connected to anything. It also has a battery in it so it does not even need to be plugged in. Sweeeet…