Headlight Confusion

First I thought it was just the British. They have car terminology that is different from the Americans. Like petrol vs gasoline, boot vs trunk, gearbox vs transmission etc etc. But during my quick search I found this page:
https://www.greenandwhiteauto.com/services/outside-the-car/spring-headlight-replacement.html
They appear to use the term headlight for the whole light, and headlamp specifically for the actual bulb inside the headlight… I find that a little odd. Or maybe they just want multiple search hits, just like suggested above.

The French have really confusing car terminology…
Essence = fuel
Gazole = diesel
Feux (means fire) = light
Vitesse = gear
Transmission = broadcast…

My wife is from France and we travel there often. Took me some time to remember which was diesel and which was gasoline. Never sure what to put in the rental car when it’s a non-diesel car.

Gazole, Gasoil, or Gasole = diesel
Sans Plomb = gasoline (with varying amounts of ethanol)
Super Carburant (not sure what it is)

You’re right, Gazole is with a z.
Carburant could be fuel for kerosine heaters. (not sure)

They’re gonna make it all the same throughout Europe, i forget how exactly.
I think with a letter and a number.

Oh, by the way, in my language (Dutch) a headlamp is a “hoofdlamp”, “hoofd” = head, a human head in particular.
A headlight is a “koplamp”, “kop” = head, but for animals and objects (or derogatory for humans).
So there’s no confusion between the 2 in Dutch.

Super is leaded gasoline
Super Sans Plomb 95/98 is unleaded gasoline with various octane index

EDIT :
headlight = phare (de voiture)
headlamp = lampe frontale (front meaning forehead)

Before you enter a tunnel a sign says: “Allumez votre feux” doesn’t it? Light your fires. :laughing:

I wish i knew that when i telephoned to the hotel when i forgot my headlamp in my room…
“Lampe de tête” is what i said… :person_facepalming:
They didn’t understand…

What do folks in places that refer to a flashlight as a torch call headlamps?

super carburant - a substitute for leaded petrol for older cars.

Well technically thats not true, it is not leaded anymore, since they found out lead is quite poisonous it is an additive to replace the lead.
In The Netherlands you can’t even buy it anymore. Even 98 octane is getting rare

Headtorch?

When we took our curly-tailed Akita out to run alongside the bicycle,
we’d velcro-strap a blinking red LED to her upright tail.

Drivers would slow down, point, and laugh hysterically shouting “tail light! tail light!”

That looks so cool with your pup running joyfully beside you till the day she sees a squirrel and cuts across your front tire while you're doing 20+ .

Ask me how I know ??

I landed face first in someones yard with my fist balled up against my chest .

Either broke ribs or just bruised my heart , Next day I woke up wishing for a way to get out of bed

Only two bike crashes I ever had were both dog related ….Mans best friend /squirrels worst enemy

Uh, oh.

The Headlight of the Future Is a Laser

| from the blinded-by-even-more-distant-oncoming-traffic dept.

| https://soylentnews.org/article.pl?sid=19/01/15/2218222
———————————————————————————————————————————————

[1]Bloomberg:

Most people don’t turn on their car’s headlights and think, I wish they were brighter. Shuji Nakamura is not most people.

The Nobel Prize-winning illumination scientist has spent the past five years developing a laser-based lighting system. His company, SLD Laser, says the new design is 10 times brighter than today’s LED lights, capable of illuminating objects a kilometer away while using less power than any current technology. And unlike a regular, dumb headlight, the laser can potentially be integrated into current and forthcoming driver-assistance systems.

Do headlights need to be brighter?

Discuss this story at: SoylentNews Comments | The Headlight of the Future Is a Laser

Links:

1. Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

2. The Headlight of the Future Is a Laser: SoylentNews Submission