Help w/ best BFB 2xAA

Good choice :wink:

I use eneloops but they aren’t very much, about $10 for 4 or $20 for 8 when I buy them on sale.

Best LSD rechargeable there is. Low voltage sag under load. Does not leak within reasonable horizon, very good reputation. Only a few bucks more then others, but you have batteries for 5 years or more so the price paid per use is really low anyway. Just my 0,02 $ from a guy who lives in a country where they are unreasonably expensive if you can find them (Cheapest online is 3,85 $ per batt. if you buy 12)

But they are the hassle free solution.

You are correct, but i prefer to have a light that maintains its brightness, if you are going to use predominantly AAs, many people would be very annoyed with a light that loses brightness the moment you put freshly charged batteries in it. As a backup having AA capability is an excellent feature, but as a primary mode of power it makes the light look bad and annoys the hell out of me.
I agreed with you before i bought it, now i see the 3AA capability as being a last resort not a primary use.

So I’ve been playing w/ my new PA40 this evening. It’s been interesting taking it out as we have a lot of smoke in the air from forest fires, and you can see zillions of particles dancing in beam.

I think it’s going to be exactly what I wanted. Being a new Scout Master, I wanted something that would have good ability to flood, some throw, and durable (i.e. I want it to last a LONG time and put up with a lot). I think this will do that. I do take good care of my stuff IMO, but with scouts around all bets are off!

Bumping this thread up one more time. There are some good recommendations in here. I just want to see if there are any other lights that I should consider in the 2xAA form factor. I too, am looking for something cheap (less than $30) with a preference for a NW emitter if possible. It’s meant to be for in-car use to hang around with:

Car 1

• Catapult v1
  • MG P-Rocket (XM-L)

Car 2

• Big Head K8
  • MG P-Rocket (XP-G)

If there are no further suggestions, I’ll purchase two Sunwayman R20A’s from Int’l Outdoor. Yes, I know they’re not NW, but I do like the stated run times along with a cool looking strobe.

As the subject says, my PA40 is gone (and 4 eneloops). :frowning: As my three year old would say, “I sad”.

I was on a trip to Boise and had it in my pack as I liked having in w/ the great moon mode to be able to get up in the night with out waking others up. Well I’m 99% certain I left it on the night stand, and someone that works for the hotel decided that dishonesty is the best policy. I emailed with a link to PA40 photos, no response. The next day I talked w/ the manager (who seemed indifferent) and he tells me he checked their lost and found and nothing with that room number or discription is there. This is BS to me. They have my cell phone and as soon as it was found they should have called me! Anyway, I think I’m just as sad, and maybe even a little more sad about the dishonesty than I am about the PA40.

So, again, I’m on a quest…as I save up again. I did check and it looks like altatac is not sellling the PA40 for $40 anymore…which is o.k. as I don’t have the $$ right now. My next light will be AA powered again (I like the flexibility, etc. and have other, new eneloops from the package I got right after buying the PA40), and maybe another PA40 as I really liked it.

I appreciate the help here, a lot and look forward to exploring options. My thanks to you all!

BTW, anyone need the extra gasket, switch cover, holster, and case for a PA40?

You may want to check this thread about 2*AA lights— > Brightest 2xAA cylindrical

As I was re-reading my original post that started this, I may just end up with a 2xAA or a single due to costs of initial purchase. I did like the long run times I had with the PA40…heck, I was still on the first charge on the eneloops (after the initial playing with it, see how fast it would really run down, etc.)!

Thanks…I’ve been reading that one already, and I subscribed.

Man that sucks! Sorry to hear about this. I say you should just save up for another PA40 and maybe you'll come across another good deal. I've come to the conclusion that the PA40 is one of the best all purpose lights (which is "high-power"). I don't own one (yet).

-Garry

That so really sucks so hard. Sorry about your loss.

Any opinions on the L2?

The flexibility of different power sources would be nice. If I go this route which bulb/pill would you recommend, keeping in mind I’d be running eneloops on it primarily. BTW, I really like having a very low mode.

Thanks.

The Problem is that the eneloops will rattle inside the host, because it’s a L2 host suited for 18650.

If you want to use 2 eneloops choose the SF XP-G R5 low voltage drop in.

Yes, true, nikanon…I’m not sold on the idea, just brainstorming. I could put a few thick rubber bands on the AAs if I want it and without the rattle. Also heard of taking thin tube PVC (or some type of pipe) to make a sleeve. I’d have to research more to figure out the details.

The more I research other options I think maybe I’ll just wait to find a good deal (around $40) on a PA40. Although the C88 is appealing at international outdoors.

I really like mine and it seams like they always get overlooked. Nice build quality, nice clip 1aa

Any one have any experience w/ the 4sevens quark “x” AA2 tactical and the aa2 Turbo (non-X)? I’m looking at the two on the goinggear.com closeout deals they are running. To me the XPG, turbo version looks like it will run longer, and throw farther with that bigger head?

The XML in the “x” version will be brighter, but what else? XMLs are floodier, right? The difference in brightness isn’t that big of a deal to me.

Thanks for any input in advance.

Scoutmaster,

Funny you should ask about those two quarks. I just jumped on the deal myself for the AA2 X and AA2 turbo xpg.

If you wait a few days I'll post my impressions, but then again the sale might be over by then.

Here's what struck me about these two:

* AA2 x (xml) Yup...it's going to be floody, real floody. Also from what I hear it's got pretty decent output. I don't have a use slated for this one persay, but bought it because it was cheap (future mod maybe).

*AA2 Turbo (xpg) - This one piqued my attention because of the slightly larger head and the reflector already set up for the xpg. As it sits stock, it should be a good 2xAA thrower...but I do have an extra xpg2 NW that I plan on swapping in there. If it responds anything like my last xpg2 mods, it'll be worthwhile.

Sorry to hear about your PA40, and if you order either of the above two remember the coupon code"winteriscoming" at checkout. Good for 10% off

-Match

Hey match. Any idea how easy/hard they are to mod?

From what I’ve read so far, the head is secured with blue locktite. In my experience, a little (or a lot) of heat from a propane torch will help to loosen things up enough without causing any damage to the head. I haven’t had a head not open up with that method. Although, truth be told, I did melt the plastic centering ring on my LD01 because I reassembled it with red locktite (I incorrectly thought I’d never want to take it apart again -whoops).

These will be my first two quarks (turbo and x) and hopefully will ship out soon if not today. So, if all goes well I’ll throw a post up next week on the operation.

Take it easy,
Tim