Hexbright, An open source flash light.

Yes, I need to get more beam shots up... stupid day job taking up all my time.... Wait asecond! I need to take beam shots at night!

As far as cost, at $60 you get a complete light delivered to your house, color of your choice, 500 lumens powered by XM-L T6. The processor is a little more high-end.

The body is not a tube and has some real strength to it without being heavy.

I think $60 is a pretty good deal, but I realize the look might not be for everyone.

Welcome to BLF Terry, looks to be a nice project you have going :)

At which point the light becomes another "me-too" product out in the marketplace.

Honestly, I think for the price you're getting a solid product with the ability to set your own modes. Not bad at all really. And I dont mind the looks either, and the color choices are nice too.

just my humble opinions ...

before i speak to the light itself - pledging ?? i am sure you are a standup person but its a bit odd to me. if genuine i wish you success

price wise not sure why the extreme price difference between the 2 formats - i use both battery types and they both have their place

regarding the form and design

1. solid thick aluminum - whats not to like here. the first thing i will do with mine is throw it off a 5 story building < stress test : D

eh hmm , seriously the design is good. could be more pleasing aesthetically but function seems very good. Personally a fluted design , cross hatched would be very cool.

you may want to sell some tapped blanks or kits.

2. usb chargable - very good

3. programable - again good but how about infinatly adjustable with memory- just thinking cost

best of luck , let us know when you are selling them outright

also , send a protoype to somone here , Match or Don for testing etc

Yeah, I really, really actually want to throw my lights out a window to stress-test them myself!

I looked at some fluted vairations but I kept coming back to the simple look. It really grew on me. I really like your suggestion of offering blanks for hobbyists to machine their own externals. Gotta thing about that...

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions!

-Christian

This flashlight will have almost limitless programming possiblilities. You will be able to completly rewrite or add to the code running on the microcontroller to do what ever you want! We will also create a repository where other users can post their code and a forum to support it.

For those less comfortable programing there will also be an interface for adjusting constants without the need to reprogram the light. This will limit the changes you can make but still make it adjustable.

Terry

Terry[at]hexbright.com

Thats good. If you had to write code I would think your customer base would be pretty small, well I wouldnt be one. If I could plug the light into the confuser and check mode boxes on or off and use some kind of slider to set as many brightnes modes as I want, I would like it. Even if you were confined to a certain number of output modes it would blow in my opinion. I would like to be able to make it a single mode one day and twelve different levels of strobe the next. Twelve different levels of strobe? Maybe I would learn to program for that so I could share it with Boaz.

And, if it has a non-disco mode, then you need 27 half-presses, turn the light off for between 9 and 9.4 seconds then turn it on and off 6 times :bigsmile:

One of the great things about kickstarter is that you can crowdfund you patent as well. Hexbright may be open source, but that cool handle design should be patent protected. More details here: http://bit.ly/kikpat

One of the great things about kickstarter is that you can crowdfund your patent as well. Hexbright may be open source, but that cool handle design should be patent protected. More details here: http://bit.ly/kikpat