Hobby King soldering station in stock

If anyone is interested (well in the US), I just 5 minutes ago received a flyer in the mail from MCM electronics showing what looks like another Hakko 936 clone (a review calls it a 900M clone, and MCM lists it at 50W while Hobby King says 60W) for $19.99 when using "source code: A303B" (it's a coupon code off my flyer). I tried it and it works. Shows $9.49 for shipping for a total of $29.48 shipped (unless you're in Ohio and then you need to add tax).

-Garry

do you have the link garry?

Oops! Sorry! Left out an important part, eh? Here you go. Comes up $29.99 until you add to cart and enter the source code.

-Garry

Picked one up Garry. Should be here much quicker than HK.

Nice find!

Thanks Gary! Now the question: do I get this or wait for the HK model? HK is cheaper, albeit not by much, but no telling when it will be in stock.

It appears to be the same exact thing with a different label. Every thing about it looks just like my hobbyking version.

I’m in the same boat. I had some Hobby Chargers, etc., SKU’d up on their site and when I saw the shipping charges I backed out. My reasoning was if they have a warehouse in Honk Kong then why can they not ship with competitive rates. So now I will try and get by with my Weller station that is held together with Duct Tape, and give this one a try. Think we need to add a decent soldering station to the Fasttech request list.

That Fasttech iron might be just the trick for a second iron. Useful for applying dual-end heat on stubborn components like large SMT resistors.
Discussion on that item shows it was rated for 220V but works on 120V… waiting to see if they do post the wattage on 120V.

relic, good spotting, thank’s for the head’s up on the AC Volts! When I saw the US Plug I never bothered to look further. I wonder if they made a typo as you’d think anything with a US Plug would be 110v.

What is wrong with your Weller station? You may be able to get replacement parts for it. Could be cheaper than buying a new station.

Good idea as actually I have 2. One suffered some mass trauma, and the other just didn’t seem to get hot enough anymore, and I never really investigated further. Following your idea I should see if I can make one good one out of the 2. Thanks for that.

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't even realize that until I saw them side by side.

Also, MCM has alternate shipping for only $4.99. I picked the FEDEX next day. The only thing I'm not sure about is the cheaper shipping are all labelled as "collect" whatever that means Total including Gary's coupon code is $24.98. Seems like a no brainer.

Alternate shipping from drop down menu

*****EDIT: Forget the cheaper shipping rate. I just read the fine print:

HK solder station back in stock - $30.88 shipped in US. Just ordered!

Soldering Station with Adjustable Heat Range

Specs Power Supply:
Power Consumption: 60W
Input Voltage: 110v
Output Voltage: 24v AC
Dimensions: 170mmx93mmx20mm
Temperature Range: 200c~480c/392F~896F

Specs Soldering Iron:
Power Consumption: 24v Ac-50w
Heating Element: Ceramic
Cord Length: 1.2m

PRODUCT ID: Sold-ST-USA

Hill, I thought you bought the one from MCM? It's still on sale too BTW.

-Garry

i just ordered one for 30.88 shipped

Gary, I passed on that since I could not get the ultra cheap shipping rate (see my previous post Edit). Ultimately, the price works out the same ($30ish) so there was not savings in waiting for the HK model to be restocked. HK has pretty steep shipping charges unfortunately, otherwise I could have saved a few bucks. I am really in need of a newer, higher wattage iron, so this purchase is certainly worth it.

Link here

Or a bit cheaper from eBay

not sure if they are same models though..

Looks the same! Thx.

I found this site for tips

Which one do you use the best for SMD?