Hoop's 2019 Old-Lumens Challenge Entry : "The Sentinel" : Machine Made Category

Just one word :

WOW !

Have you ever thought of documenting the build in video ? This is so awesome i can see it go viral (and eventually make some dineros)

Man, that was my first thought as well: Here’s a man who believes “Go Big or Go Home!” This is probably the most out-of-the-box entry ever. It’s as much performance art as illumination. Can’t wait to see this build progress.

Not really.

12/31/19:
OK, so a bit of a wrench in the works… my landlord wants the house/shop that I am renting back so a relative of his can live here. I have to move out by February 1st and then set up shop somewhere else. In light of this, I may decide to build something considerably simpler for the OL contest.

Ouch!

Don’t you have a 6 month contract, any way you look at it that just bites! I’ve heard of this before on Quora and just couldn’t believe it, thought it wasn’t real. My Dad co-owned a Lumber and Construction business with his brother. Dad ran the Lumber Yard and his brother managed carpenter crews. They built houses and carried the note and rented houses as well (typically a smaller house taken in trade to build a larger house was rented or leased with an option to buy) for over 35 years. What you described above never ever happened and I would have thought it illegal, certainly immoral at the very least.

Best of luck to you in what is obviously a nasty situation.

It’ll be worth the wait, I’m sure!

BTW, found the squidly arms for The Sentinel: magnetic snake light service thing?.

It’s ok, it’s not a nasty situation for me. I do not have a lease agreement at all, just a handshake and month to month payments, so the law in Washington state only requires 20 days notice but I’ve been given more notice than that. I have known the owner of the place where I am staying for 3 years or so, and done a fair bit of machining work for him, and we are somewhat friendly, which is why I was able to be here without any lease agreement. His current predicament ain’t so great, but me, I have no such burdens.

And on the bright side, I do not have to pay rent for January since that was paid for when I moved in, and I get my security deposit back too. I have arranged another place to move to already. Time to call some crane companies.

Have fun moving Hoop. :slight_smile:

Haha, thanks. Fortunately I do not own much.

Sorry to hear.
My first house was a rental, I got along well with the owner, but he could never decide if he wanted the house back or not. I think 3 or 4 times per year he would tell me I to leave when my 6 month lease was up so he could move back in. Then the next week his plans would change and I didn’t need to leave. Geez. The stress.

Edit: I remember now, he was living with his girlfriend. So I think every time they had a fight, he would end up back at his parents place or something like that. Haha.

Given you had to move house and this is a monster build I guess this one will be rolling over to next year :wink:

I am going to try and make it happen by the end of the contest. I should have a solid three weeks in February that I can put into it.

wow, that is effing impressive.

:+1:

How is it going Hoop ? We understand your time constraints and hope you are doing OK. :slight_smile:
That is an awesome light you are working on. :wink: