How did you come up with your screen name?

I design bridges and back when there was a mainframe computer and one printer in our building, you had to use a username so they would know where to deliver the output. So “br” means the bridge design department. And most people used their initials for the rest, but since my name is only 3 letters (and my initials are a little confusing since “Ted” is short for “Edward”), I used my name and it became “brted”. So this has been my username since 1990. 22 years! And I still work in the same joint.

Taken from David Eddings , The Books of The Belgariad.

Since the nineties I used just Oldie. The first forum where I used it for was for the game Bridgebuilder. Later when I wanted to use it again in bigger comunities, Oldie was already taken by another member. Insted of adding just any odd number I decided to add NEA, which is the abbreviation for the airport of New Caledonia. I was living there for then years and came back to europe one year ago.

I've used my handle since the interwebs were born and I joined my first message/bulletin board. I've been a cyclist for 23+ years and used to ride 5-6 times a week, so it was meant as if I'm here, I'm Between Rides.

Cycling is my first addiction, Flashlights come second. Funny thing though, I hang around here way more than I do on any cycling forums.

My friends always call me Johnny, Mac, or Johnny Mac. Started with CigarJohnny in other forums years ago but have changed to JohnnyMac since.

I’ve been atbglenn ever since I started riding mountain bikes in the late 80’s. atb stands for “All Terrain Biker”. Although I’m not much of a rider these days, I still use the name.

Me around 1992

Cool thread.

Everyone has called me Big E since high school I’m 6’5” 280. When I signed up for XBOX online of course Big E was taken since I have been drag racing motorcycles since the 80s I figured I’d add 1320 a quarter mile is 1320 feet. So I carried the name over from XBOX online.

Mine started in Alaska 10+ years ago because I loved fishing waaaay too much. When the reds (red/sockeye salmon) were running in the Kenai/Russian rivers, we would make what we called 'suicide runs' -- where we headed out right after work, drove 2.5 hrs. to the Kenai or Russian river, fished all night long then drove 2.5 hrs. back in time to take a shower and get to work. We did that 2 to 3 times week while the reds were running which usually was for 2 weeks. I can't wait to get back to Alaska someday and do some salmon and halibut fishing.

I have wondered about that one. I like it.
Mine is pretty boring. Lang is the first part of my last name and C,J&L are the first initials of my three children. I could be more creative but I have used that for so long that I am stuck with it now.

Mine is too obvious. The older I get, the more I feel “Old School”. I still love candles better than any other light. The way they flicker and the shadows they cast in a room is better than just about any other light. Candles and the old oil lamps. I grew up with that stuff before we had electricity in the house, so I guess it has always seemed more natural to me, since it was all we had during my early years.

Old-Lumens wasn’t taken, which I was surprised at and even more surprised it wasn’t taken at CPF or any other flashlight forum, so Old-Lumens it became.

Nice Klein there, stud. You still have it?

My nick is originated back to 1996 when I joined the company where I still work. The company was small (around 50 persons) and user names were usually two letter initials. However "th" was already in use, so they offered me "te".. I didn't like it and asked for three letter alternative "the" (which did sound kind of cool: the@...). At that time I used to sign my posts "--the"

Later, when OneName (iName / XNS) concept was developed, I jumped in early enough to register nick "the" there. Those names were prefixed with "=", so my nick was "=the". As the system originally removed the trailing equal signs, I started using more symmetrical form "=the=", which I'm still using [even though no one uses iNames and the system doesn't support trailing "="s any more].

Some forums, like this, don't support equal signs in nicks => I need to use the alternative form "_the_".

That was a long story and probably no one cares, but I decided to tell anyways.. ;)

I haven’t the slightest clue. LOL!

Dang Glenn, you look pretty studly in that picture.

Well, I can get kinda exited even from cheap things, so…

Now when you ask, I digged my mind deeper and remembered something long forgotten…

I also remember this “phrase” being used as to describe price on M.A.D. Magazine back in the 90’s.
Usually it says just “cheap”. Spot the magazine, that has the “Cheap Thrills” -quote = win a prize!

example “super cheap”

I used to get extremely bored in the summer. I would even watch HGTV and the cooking shows. And one time on a cooking show they said something about cilantro. I liked that word, but not the c, so i change it to Sintro. That happened about 4 years ago.

I am just a huge Douglas Adams fan.

Ford Prefect was the earth name assumed by a visiting alien because he felt its commonality would help him fit in. (At the time of publishing in the UK, the Ford Prefect was a very common car).

Thought it would be a good tag for forums.

Years ago I needed a unique user name and I looked up and saw my toolbox, brand name Homak. So I combined my initials, DC with Homak, and voila! dchomak.

(this is a cool thread)

I’m a pipe smoker and briar is the wood used for pipe bowls. It must be aged (… and so am I).

Mine was derived from an arcangel,which is my namesake and I also have a darkside too so thus the combination of 2 names gave me this.