How much do you consume electricity?

Batteries. They have 2 uses, not only for night time but when demand exceeds the 5.5kW I can produce from the panels.

About 2000kWh per year for my 38 m2 apartment. Not used for heating.

But 2000kWh cost me about 750$(or 0.37$/kWh).

This debate had me thinking - is kWh used all around the world? I thought the US hated the metric system ;)

No they are using whph (wheel horsepower-hour) in US and A :D

LOL.

I have a pretty significant electric bill. I was expecting a serious reduction in my electrical consumption when I built my new house in 2008 but unfortunately the opposite happened. I use forced hot air heat in the winter and central air in the summer, I have a large electric hot water tank(which needs to go)and I run a Hepa filtration system in the bedroom all year. Were I live on the coast we have extreme cold in the winter and extreme heat in the summer.

In October which is an average consumption month I used 30kWh at a cost of ~$150 my usage peaks in August and February at 37kWh about $200.

Are you sure about your figures? It looks to me as though there is a zero missing. My solar set up can produce that in a single day.

I am not sure how the power company calculates this, I took it right off the bill without doing the math. Perhaps I use 30kWh per day that would seam more realistic since 1kWh is like running a 1000 watt bulb for an hour x 24hrs would be 24kWh per day.

Hey back on topic! Can you use LEDs? =P

In BC, the residential rate is $0.0667 CAD per kWh is you use less than 1350 kWh in 2 months, and $0.0962 after that. Seems a lot cheaper than most of you.

http://www.amazon.com/Sunshine-Systems-LEDGP14-GlowPanel-Light/dp/B001N4K2QE

Only "a lot cheaper"? ;)

Only "a lot cheaper"? ;)

I'll charge all my batteries and send them to you, poor thing lol.

Two last months have been a bit cold, some 900-930KWh consumed per month. Maybe 150$ or so, been heating with wood like a pyromaniac :)

Electric companies recently changed the billing from annual average divided to 12 months -> every months total paid per consumption.

This means, that on winter some people are getting pretty nasty "tickets" like 300-400$ / month.