How to change account user name?

Welcome to the BLF ma_sha1.

Love the work you do, awesome stuff.

If there ever was a guy who was purely only into throw, it would be ma_sha1. At PF18 I had brought a few high output lights (puny by his standards) and he merely glanced at them with but the slightest bit of interest and asked "Does it throw?" I shook my head no and he was like "Pffft!" LOL

Glad to see you on this forum ma_sha1!

Oh man. I'm really sad I missed PF18. That's not even an hour away for me. That's too bad. I guess that's what I get for not reading anything on CPF anymore lol. I bet that was really fun!

Ill keep an eye out for next year though.

Welcome ma_sha1,good to see a fellow throw junkie here! enjoy!!

-

Challenge: I would like to see a light made out of a zippo

Glad to see you here too TurboBB, Your lumen pipe tool was impressive!

Sorry about that, I was also a PF Rookie, I might have been too pre-occupied with the shoot outs.

Welcome aboard, ma_sha1! Good to have you with us. I like your mods!

Hi ma_sha1 :)

Welcome here at the more reliable and more relaxed site :)

Thanks magpap!

Hi, Dr. Jones,

Glad to run into you here. Can you take a look into this thread, post 117 & later?

I built my Mega Blaster thinking MegaRay style being Elliptical + lens & it worked wonders. However,

as it turns out MegaRay set-up is actually parabola + two lens, folks are confused on how would that work.

Would the throw still be dictated by front lens diameter, regardless of how small the parabola is?

This is like sending parallel lights through a monocular, didn't know this would work.

The two lenses form a beam expander (like bshanahan14rulz said), collimated beam in, collimated beam (with bigger diameter) out. The fun however is: While the beam diameter (at the lens) increases, the divergence decreases. To be more precise: The product of lens area (A) times beam divergence solid angle (Omega) is constant for a beam throughout an optics system. No-one ever asked what my avatar image means... it means exactly that :)

Throw is still only depending on front lens diameter and source luminance (and losses), you could even omit parabola and concave lens, just put the arc into the front lens' focus, and it would throw the same (in principle; not accounting for the losses due to imperfect lenses, scattering and absorption). However that setup waste a lot of light, because only a fraction of light would hit the front lens; the result would be much less luminous flux (lumen) in a much thinner beam, but with the same spot intensity and throw.

Parabola and concave lens together work just like a pre-collimating lens in a lens based thrower.

A hearty, warm welcome to the inventor of the human lathe! You changed my world as far as mods.

You will find it light years away from CPF in terms of attitudes.

This makes it 3 of us-you, Old Lumens and myself for lathe-free mods!

Rich

Dr. Jones, thanks for the answers. If there is a google link to the equation in your Avatar, I'd love to do some reading. My wild a*s prediction of the throw of this Mega Ray is dictated by front lens diameter only tuns out to be true :).

Hi dropmuller,

Thanks for the welcome & kind words!

Hi and welcome to BLF, ma_sha1.

I see a familiar nick. Good to see you here bro.... Sheesh your 260W swan blaster is still not done yet?

I'm taking a little break from the flashlight biz. Into astronomy nowadays.

That's why it's called Swan Blaster, I can't handle another project like this.

I need to replace the front lens, but looks like a custom AR coated Borafolat will cost $600 no matter where I go. I am working on a solution with more reasonable budget...

That beam shot was taken with the messed up front lens, with melted center blocking lights

@ma_sha1: It's often called etendue, and "A * Omega" is the simplified version...

Hey ma_sha1

Welcome to BLF. Glad to see you made it! I'm a huge fan of your mods at CPF. Anything new on the drawing board?

Hill

Hiill, Nice seeing you here too,

Yea, I have a Baby Monster 219 in my head :)

Hi ma_sha1, welcome to BLF! I have seen many of your mods in CPF and very much inspired! :D