Hunting/weapon light

So dedomed and dd u3 m2 beats out u4 m1? This seems odd. No?

No, not odd to me. Seems about right. :question: :slight_smile:

Hmm… Ok, I must have had the wrong perception of the m2. Good to know.

I think the M1 and M2 have similarly sized reflectors.

“To me”, most of the difference between the M1 & M2 is how they look. Personally I like the M1 much better.
I think the main difference here comes between domed & dedomed.
Dedomed wins……… :slight_smile:

They do, very similiar. :+1:

I’m not sanguine on the idea of dedoming LEDs anymore. First, they get cooler in CT (vaguely recall ~1500K, eg, 4500K → 6000K), and there’s that nasty green tint-shift.

With the HI versions of XM-L2s already out, and with specced CT and tint right out of the tin, why even bother to dedome anything anymore?

I did it because I already have all the spare parts and don’t need to buy anything…… and I’ve never done it before so I thought I would do something new for me. And if I don’t like it I’m only out a few bucks and my time.

I also decided to build two lights at the same time, Convoy M1 and a C8. Both will be speced the same with the only difference being dedomed on the M1. Should be about as close as I can get for a good comparison.

In my experience with the M1 it doesn't focus the dedomed emitter as well as the M2.

The M2 has a deeper and slightly narrower reflector than the M1.

At first I thought the M1 would have to out throw the M2 just because it's bigger but the M2 beats it.

I wish the M1 had a deeper SMO reflector designed for Max throw with an XPL HI. I also wish it was able to accept a forward clicky. It would be my perfect gun light.

To me it seems the current M1 reflector is optimized for a domed XML/XPL and the absence of the forward click switch takes it out of the tactical/hunting categories, imo...

Not trying to start any arguments here but…………

After a lot of testing with the Maxtoch 2X when we were getting everything lined out for the final production it was found that the XM-L2 U4 1A at 4.5 amps , made almost exactly the same output as the XM-L HI (meant XP-L HI) with 6 amps on it. (both were at or around 360K lux)
We did not get any “Green” tint with the factory dedomed emitter and I have had 95% of the U4 1A emitters I did myself come out with a nice tint to them and no “green tint” on those either. The 5% or so that come out different are usually more of a yellowish than green shift for me , more like a warmer tint I guess you would say.

The last C8 I modded with a U4 1A I dedomed myself , used FET driver and has nice tint and makes 500 plus yards of throw with 4.89 amps at start.

Here are a couple of pictures of both the Maxtoch 2x with factory dedomed 1A straight out of the box and the Thorfire C8 with dedomed 1A.

2X 260 yards

2X 500 yards (far treeline)

Thorfire C8 140 yards to Barn

Thorfire C8 500 yards (far treeline)

This part “17MMFWDCLK-PCB” from RMM with a little filing on the O.D. of the board and a switch boot without the rubber stub inside will turn your C8 into a forward clicky. I have not tried this with a M1 yet to see if it’s the same, but I can do a swap this weekend to see if it works.
I used a Solorforce boot just because I had a spare.

You know I haven't even thought to try that. I have an extra maxtoch fwd clicky somewhere...

I think the switch is the same size as the one in the XinTD C8 , but not certain. I used a Maxtoch Forward click switch in my Xin though and it works fine.

+1 . The U4 1A is nice after dedome. I've noticed the XPL V6 1A is pretty good too. Not quite the same as the XML2 but pretty good.

It works just fine after a little massaging with a dremel and razor.

Thanks velvetant. I'm sure if it fits the C8 it'll fit the M1.

Sometimes we just need someone to shove our nose in the right track.

Just tried the maxtoch fwd switch in the C8 and the M1. It's staying in the M1 once I get it bypassed. You have to open up the hole in the washer, knock down the pcb diameter just a smidgen, and trim off the rubber in the boot. From what I can tell this switch would fit any convoy tailcap except the metal S2+. It'll also fit the Kronos X6.

My new favorite pistol light! Convoy M1 with quad XPL HI with momentary fwd tactical switch.

I really don't need the gun cause this thing will make your eyes bleed.

Looks nice. What quad optic is that?

Good to know thanks for the info on the fit.

Khatod

Got them both built to the same specs:
3 mode, L M H with high @4.5 amps
XM-L2 U4 1C
Bypased both springs and swapped to 22ga from driver to emitter.
Set to come on always on high.
fully potted.
Quick check shows good focus, no donut hole with the dedomed m1. Yellow tint was to be expected and a little to yellow for my taste.
Will get out tonight and see how they compare for throw/spill.
I also have a M1 I built some time ago at 3.7 amps XM-L2 U4 1C not dedomed I will compare to the dedomed M1.
All fresh LG 4.35 3200 batteries