I'm considering a zoomie for a work-EDC, looking for quality options

Heres a link to the mod thread. I use the burl because it’s tough like oak but doesn’t split easily because there isn’t continuous grain anywhere and I can make the ID and OD whatever I need. Tools have had wooden handles for as long as we’ve had tools. Some will like it on a light, some not, not a problem. Being a carpenter I already have an affinity and a personal bias for it. Since I first saw EDC’s Match modded Micromag I’ve enjoyed doing similar work, the wood is just the most recent form it’s taken. Last year I picked up a 2AA light from orchard that supposedly uses the led lenser style optic. The host is meh but I picked it up anyway on the chance that it would make a decent addition to a 2 x 14500 minimag with a buck driver.

A decently built zoomie that I like to give away (lightly modded) is the Supfire A2. It is super-cheap at Hobbyking.

Features:
-Elegant looking
-Well built
–18650 cell
-Electronic switch
-So-so user interface with decent modes
-Low frequency pwm
-USB-port for in-light charging

It helps improving the spot modus and the tint by replacing the XM-L2 led for a (possibly dedomed) smaller led on a copper board (XP-G2 or Nichia 219C)

djozz, I thought I had never heard of that light, but then I remembered your thread about “how to mod a muggle light”. :slight_smile:

I just re-read through the description on HobbyKing - looks decent but unfortunately the unavoidable strobe modes are an instant deal-breaker for an EDC.

What is your current preferred zoomie for you? (not for muggles) Is it still the i3 that you mentioned several months ago?

Yes, my favorite is still the i3, although it is funny enough maybe a bit too small. I gave it away to Mitko btw, and atm I carry a heavily modded Ultrafire AT-007 (under $5 AA zoomie with $20 worth of parts and many hours of work, love the 700lm flood and the 42kcd throw :smiley: ). But I’m going to re-make my i3 (I have bought 2 more for modding), but now with N. 219C R9050 sm353 led

Zoom lights are the only way to go for EDC imo