Imalent DX80 Gen2 .. need help to test for faults

I was just reading on the german forum that someone successfully made their half lit dx80 emitter work again by leaving it on turbo until step down. Seems a little risky if you ask me, but he says it worked for him.

It should still be under warranty if you just received it. Imalent will probably ship you a new light free of charge Wheb they receive the one with the defective xhp70.2
As much as that light cost it’s completely unacceptable to have a half lit emitter on a new light.

I doubt they will not fix it or send you a new one. But if they give you issues, saying your a member of BLF and cpf. Goes a long way since we are their main customers.

I haven't told Imalent about the defect but I guess I should. Only one of my emitters is half lit, but it's still a bummer. Imalent does have a 5 year warranty.

If that is true, they may have reflowed an emitter using the heat from the turbo mode.
And if that is the case, (it shouldn’t happen) it would mean that there is a poor thermal path somewhere.

We know the 8 cells in the pack are configured as 4S2P

IF the 8 XHP-70’s are wired as 2P4S, then each ’70 with it’s 4 dies could be configured as 2S2P.
Half of an emitter not lighting up would mean that 1 of the pairs of die in series does not have electrical continuity.
If the 8 emitters ARE wired as 2P4S, one die of one emitter not having continuity could affect the other 3 in series

I know, that last thought is hard to follow. I just had trouble following my words in proofing it.
Can someone explain it better?

I'm trying to follow what you just said, but having trouble! Right now one of my emitters is half lit only, so on the XHP70.2 emitter, 2 of the 4 little emitters are not lighting up in any mode. Also, a corner of the next emitter seems to be not fully lit, but it's just the corner. Funny thing is that its so bright, I would never noticed anything was wrong. If it stays the way it is, it doesn't bother me, but if starts to spread, then yeah, it would be annoying.

Experience this today with my 6 months old DX80. Never dropped, never got wet, rarely used.

Tightened the lamp and battery.

Cycled from low , high and turbo.

On turbo the light smoked followed by a pungent chemical stench.

Quickly took the light apart and place the batteries outside in fears of it exploding

Is this another QC issue of the DX80?

Yep. Quality control problem.

Goodness it was a very bad shock!

For a moment i believed that the batteries were going to blow.

Crap company. I’ll never buy anything from them again.

Agreed!

This is my 3rd DX80.
First 2 had half lid led.

Hope warranty covers

No.

While their quality control problems are crap for such an expensive product, their quality control on lower end lights is actually much better for some reason.

Probably because they don’t have to spend so much money on so many emitters and a separate 8 cell battery pack and the expensive electronics to control the power.

Now we know why the Plight X9R and Acebeam X70 are much more expensive: they have much better quality control.

you have a faulty dx80 as well?

If warranty doesnt cover then what have you done to your light

No I don’t have a DX80, but I do have an Imalent HR20. Excellent well built little light.

My most powerful light is a MT09R.

Edit: Change The to My

I had one of those. It was a piece of garbage. It flickered, and the end with the dial fell off. Plus they didn’t even know how to spell USB. If I remember correctly, they spelled it USD.

I bought Imalent DX80 a few months ago from Gearbest from EU warehouse for $ 216. So I did not have to pay VAT or other customs fees. I was probably lucky. My Imalent works correctly. All LEDs, OLED display, charger are functional. The last time I used it tonight. I also have Imalent HR20, DM21T and DN70. They also work correctly.

It’s the first time I read about the DX80 failing after a while. All problems I read about 2nd+ generation were related to OLED display not working, and half lit leds.

seems that i am the only one who ha a DX80 that works great with no issues? ( I know they have some problems with the heat controlling with this light for the output versus the size, so i limit the time running it on maximum modes. So far i used it for some time, and knock-on-wood mine has been a flawless performer.

I have one also which works very well.I had put once it at turbo till it went down to next lower level and nothing bad happened.
It seems that I am a lucky man… :slight_smile:

I am a lucky one too.

I’ve had my DX80 but I recently bought one about 2 months ago and been using it regularly no problems… but I think they probably ironed out all their problems by the time I got one.

It’s really not luck… if you’ve had it for 3 months or more and no issues then you have a decent one….