Imalent unveils R70C – R90C – MS12

Haha, now you have a big bell

How can u be happy with a light that has such shitty quality ? i would be furious if i spent that much money and had those problems, i dont understand imalent, havent they learned anything from dx80? lumens isnt everything… its like a car has 1000 horse powers, so what? it has to be durable and not break down after a few miles also, so imalent should really focus on quality and not lumens because they clearly are not in the same league as acebeam or olight…

U will probably have to send the whole thing back to banggood since it costs so much idk…

I haven’t use turbo mode for no more than 30 seconds. You can hear the noise coming from the head… the sound is definitely broken cooling fan…

I sent email and YouTube link to banggood… hopefully they send me a new head…

Yes. Lol.

I turn on the turbo mode and then 15000 high mode, the fan came on… its loud… there is some broken piece.

It sounds like when it’s powered up the electromagnetic field stabilizes and centers the fan blade and it can spin with minimal contact against something. Then when powered off the fan blade tilts and rubs this thing again. Kind of like a bushing on one end of the motor has broken or fallen off/came loose and the fan blade is now tilted.

Very sorry to hear. Hopefully BG gets you a full refund without issue.

Our DX80 took a dump in less than two weeks.

And I actually felt good about almost making it two weeks since my brother-in-laws DX80 was dead on arrival! :person_facepalming:

Neither of us will ever own another Imalent.

I don’t think that ever happened with the DX80, did it?

It seems like a few people got replacement heads for free and a few people bought replacement heads at a discounted price.

Thanks… i know its a pain to deal with the banggood… lol… i contacted banggood through skype about my broken astrolux mf04s… so far no response… i also have this broken ms12 to deal with BG… i am not mad. Will give update.

This easily could have been solved if you could just open the light, and replace the fan directly by unplugging the old fan, and plugging in the new one.

Would that have been doable though? Perhaps a fan that was a separate part of the head, and that you could unscrew to easily replace it.

I’m sure that opening the light would void the warranty.

Also, this fan is not something you would commonly find. It would probably have to be special-ordered.

Since the fan is proven by some review as not as efficient as expected nor having obvious airflow, And now it seems to fail prematurely, I wonder Imalent can provide another option without the fan but bigger and heavier heatsink act as thermal mass. That should help to sink more heat and no concern of repairing a non-efficient fan when it fails in future. I should also save Imalent warranty claims in 5 years time.

If it makes you guys feel better, my Fenix TK70’s turbo was broken when it arrived (years ago). Yes, the big-ass one before the TK75.
Turn it into Turbo and within 5 seconds it kicks down. Both on 32650s and NiMH. Had to ship it back to HK at my own expense (the seller was located in HK SAR and not China), luckily tracked shipping was 16 usd for that 1.4kg+ package.
Luckily it wasn’t going to China, as the last-mile China post there is sucky.

It’s Fenix, supposedly top-notch brand with all the general impressions here.

It’s definitely going back, they’d definitely want this flashlight back, just hope they are able to pay return shipping as well. Or maybe not, it might be similar what i have read with BG and Astrolux MF01…… friend, would you accept a fee of usd 16 and have someone to fix it in your country? Then usd 30, then so on and so forth. It’s all based on a flowchart, step by step…it makes sense in their shoes.

I hope you have paid via paypal.

I have one TK70. I don’t think that is a defect. In Turbo mode, TK70 is very picky on batteries quality, threads and contacts. Maybe it is Fenix design that require too too much currents that cause it. But it is not similar to the case of knocking fan inside brand new flashlight.

OT a bit……. I ran it with both 2 x 32650 6000mAh unprotected cells easily capable of 6A + running well above the voltage of 4pcs = 4.8V NiMH (so no “apparent” voltage sag to speak of vs NiMH) and brand new Tenergy Centura D NiMH. And yeah i cleaned all the threads (hey, i’m a flashaholic, supposed to know all these things anyway).

The only thing i have not tried was trying to clip the head contacts to a variable voltage output 20A PSU. :slight_smile:

The second flashlight i received was operating great, esp on 2 x 32650.

But i agree, designing a powerful flashlight to do NiMH with relatively high IR is pretty tricky in terms of balancing. Too sensitive and it’d not work, too insensitive and it might screw the batts in a general setting. (not all are flashaholics). That first TK70 probably had screwed up components or something, coz 2 x 32650s @ 7.4V did not work as well.

But the same issue may also manifest should the factory do a shoddy job of lubing, and the general flashlight buyer using regular NiMH D would not know what hit them.

Sure it can be concluded if it was tested with a power supply. I still blame Fenix design though because TK70 is notorious on this, batteries, threads and contacts must be almost perfect to operate in Turbo mode. Maybe the design of high power driver at that time was still not as efficient.

I encounter step down or flickering with brand new 2 x 26650 if the contacts are not good. So I think proper firm contacts are very important for TK70.

Nice setup you have. I wanted to setup with 2 x 32650, too bad I couldn’t get the adapter for TK70 at that time.

Those were the days. 2k lumens and triple XM-L driven nicely were big deal that time, esp with close to 100k cd. With 4 x NiMH D and a 100+mm head, you really could put someone into ICU with a single accurate whack to the right places.

I just had to get that setup. Even if it meant buying a set of high quality Tenergy Centura low LSD NiMH D and new D size charger at close to 70 usd including shipping.

Now the same things get rehashed in slightly different ways, with 32-60k lumens. :slight_smile: Sensitive with batts, sensitive with heat so need a fan. And that plastic fan gets broken during shipping…….so shall we add 10 more layers of bubble wrap?

etc etc,

So nope, no X80-GT/X70 or MS12 for me, not even at usd 200-300. Sorry.

But yes, i know the “just have to get that setup” feeling. :slight_smile:

Ya, I had 8pcs of Ternegy Centura D Size NiMH, all rusted after all these years and I threw them away.
Sure Imalent is creating very very high power flashlight compared to TK70. But the fan is shown to have no obvious airflow, start from turbo and in 6 minutes it can reach 80+ degree, might as well remove it and put a bigger heatsink there. Or may be redesign a bit with different fan placement, not sure can it be done or not with such small space in there.

@newlumen

read your PM please