Interest in development and Group Buy for a low lumen (1-3) single AAA light that can run for a few days on an alkaline?

Stock version is OK with me. But a GB with a more efficient LED would not hurt either.
I bought one as a light of last resort, but it turned out to be the “where did I drop the @#&*% ……”-light in my toolbox.
A sort of EDC, constantly surrounded by lots of sharp and blunt objects. Alway ready to rock and roll.

Great idea, I would be keen for something like this.

I actually prefer AA but this is just a small change to an existing light. Doing AA would mean something new from the ground up. Much more difficult.

AAAs are really obsolete in a crisis situation, too litle capacity/size.

I’d be good for a few w/ better ‘keychain’ hole and any hi-vis color (preferably orange).

I kind of agree on AA being more practical for BOB/TEOTWAWKI but this would be OK w/Li primary as Hank suggested. If the trend switches to a similar AA I’ll still be on board.

Phil

Tangential but I rate these right up there with the kind of light we’re discussing and they solve the “where …?” problem in pitch darkness:

https://www.google.com/search?q=glow+in+the+dark+keyfob
Originated, as far as I know, by a really nice guy — userid “andygold” — who has intermittently sold them at CPF when he has a batch available.
He used to have a thread there — his thread for notice when he has some to sell. They’ve moved things around, search him out if you’re interested. (I’ll post an updated link if I find one)

Highly recommended. Find-in-purse, find-in-drawer, find-in-earthquake-blackout. Got one of these on on almost every important flashlight and other tools we want to find after the earthquake when everything goes dark.

These have been widely copied. I can’t vouch for the quality of the copies.

It might be nice to have them in 2 sizes AAA and AA
They could be a set, one in CU the other in solid lead……………

OK, now that is some classic stuff right there^ Maybe silver and wood for the supernatural….

I am thinking that just to get them to change the inductor would be a bear here, who knows how many they have on the shelf as of now. Then they have to want to do this…

I think the potting may be a bear as well, the thing is, what will they put in that we can confirm? The pill is so solid as it is, I thought it was potted already… my bad. If we could just get them to cross drill a couple of 2.5mm/ 1/8” holes in the pill prior to assembly, we could push the RTV or Epoxy in ourselves and be sure of it.

The new color could be the easiest mod… they may be up for this already… But the anodizing is not type III so it wears fairly fast in a pocket with keys and change…

The tail mod would be good across their entire line, again, depending on how many are in their stock system as of now… The original one is sufficient, but not good for fitting most rings. It is tough, if you can find something that fits…

I ordered some 220uH 0307 inductors yesterday, just to see if the light goes up a bit and will test the runtime on that as well when I get one installed… If I can find some 180uH as well, I will get them too…

I’m interested. Count me in for at least three. :slight_smile:

I’d be interested in several in different colors.

I have the 180uH and 220uH inductors on order to try these out for brightness and run time versus the original 270uH one I modded.

Would anyone else in the US that has one of these in stock want me to send them a couple of the inductors from each level to try themselves? I only say the US as the shipping is just a stamp, but overseas may not be out of reach either.

If you have one of these and the skills to crack it open and do this mod, let me know here. I am looking to make sure I did not just go and get lucky with this mod.

I am in for 2-4 units.

Thanks for pursuing this, this could be something really good.

Nice idea. I’m definitely interested to see where this goes. The key is reliability considering the targeted purpose of this light. If it can be done by a proven reliable manufacturer I’m in for sure. I have a handful of semi-useless “not gift worthy as intended” good effort lights on the part of BLF where the “manufactory” failed us. No need to mention names…

I am interested. What is the price?

Why did they make the battery go in backward?

No price as of yet, have to get word they would be willing to make this first!

The backwards battery seems to be the best orientation for this twisty. First off, it is a physical reverse current protection mechanism as the top button on the battery makes contact in the tube bottom. The flat negative end doesn’t reach contact if in the end of the tube. Second, the spring in the head has a larger area to contact with the battery nose first in the tube.

I think it is an elegant solution to simplify the light,. The head is larger than a Fenix E01, and has more contact area, so it should not wear out as fast as the Fenix’s two contact tabs on the back of its head…

Is 5 lumens the target output? Or are you flexible with that number? I’d be interested if the tail-standing becomes stable and the output goes down to maybe one or two lumens. I think 5 lumens might be too high for what I’d use the light for.

No hard target yet, VERY open for suggestions on what people would want in a long runtime light like this.

I do not have a light meter or measuring device, so if there is anyone that would want to step up, get a hold of me…

I’d be interested in 1 or 2 depending on the price. I’d even like a AA sized light too. Whatever works.

Five lumens is more of a regular emergency flashlight with super long run time on a AAA, there are already many AAAs with super long moonlight run times.