Interesting optics thread

A compound reflector that uses 2 different parabolas:

This reminds me of an idea (possibly dumb) I had recently… I’d be curious how a small waiven/spherical portion added to the bottom side of a parabolic aluminum reflector would perform. It’d be wide aperature/shallow sphere. The intent is to recycle the heaviest of tint shifted light and keep it from forming a urine colored corona… I know TIRs and collar+ashperic make more sense, but I think it’d be an interesting experiment.

Put one of them step reflectors in a Jaxman M2 with an XP-E2 Torch emitter…

Laser Beam…

Another light that folds the light path:

The Nitex optic is very interesting indeed. It doesn’t seem like a good color mixing design though. Of course I could be dead wrong.

I’m really interested in finding a TIR/Fresnel hybrid lens like in the Trustfire MC1. If TF is using them, they have to be available somewhere on Ali. I have no idea what search terms may track one down though.

Anybody know of a source?

Not sure if this may be a start: 11.17€ |Optischen Kunststoff Menschlichen Körper Induktion Infrarot Fresnel Objektiv Stirn Thermometer Linsen Arbeits Abstand 3 5cm Brennweite 19mm|Objektive| - AliExpress

https://www.optic-gaggione.com/ultra-flat-optic-ufo-tunable-white-lenses/

Zoomable Color mixing Fresnel Type optics from Gaggione. Limited info right now. Datasheet dated Feb 2021, so these are new new

That’s very interesting, thanks for posting.
Am I the only one who sees the gaggione website for UFO very broken?

• Adjusting cookie settings doesn’t work and I need to accept cookies to read the privacy policy. I need to blindly accept everything to even start using the site.
  • There’s a datasheet picture, clicking it does nothing
  • There are plus signs below each of 3 variants. Not clickable either
  • There’s “WATCH THE VIDEO OF UFO TUNABLE WHITE LENSES”. And a video below that has nothing to do with lenses, just some sights and music.

And I have 2 same with 2 browsers.

I see that samples are not available yet…I may get some once they appear on gaggione store. :slight_smile:

Yes. Noticed all the same things. All are understandable for a page under development except the strange video haha, but even that could just be acting as placeholder for the web designer.

But did you manage to get the datasheet? Care to share the link?

I didn’t get any more info than what you can see on that page. I’m assuming in a week or so it’ll be updated. I’m also about to order a bunch of optics from their webstore. Really excited about the LLC25 series for some reason…

Greetings everyone. I am looking to create a DIY head light for working in a very small space with my hands. I will 3d print the encasement and attachment to strap it onto my head. Currently experimenting with a COB LED with <15mm LES. Looking to get an approximately 4cm diameter spot at 22-26cm working distance. Currently having some issues finding the optics to make this happen with our encasement size limitations. Ideally the encasement itself will have smallest diameter possible (40mm tops ideally). Beam angle ideally <10 degrees with as uniform a light distribution/as little halo as possible.

Ive been struggling to find an optic that can help us make this happen. Any recommendations for an optic that may help me achieve this goal would be greatly appreciated. My understanding is a TIR lens is the way to go, but struggling to find one online that meets specifications (beam angle/ideal small size). Any thoughts or advice on where to find this ideal TIR or suggestions for the project would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I hope you enjoy your stay, smithers17!