Is It Fair (In Your Opinion) that the Buyer Pay for Return Shipping for a Defective Item?

Seller should pay return shipping!

IMHO, it should be the sellers who pay for return shipping. The same as getting the WRONT ITEM..

I have noticed this, some sellers will specify that "buyer pays return shipping", but they usually pay it..

If I get an item DOA, I am sure going to raise holy h*ll if they want me to pay for the return shipping. Good companies will send you a mailer pronto. Some even arrange pick up, so you don't have to drive to the post office/ups, etc..

Don't you think that, in the case of a defective item, the seller is as much a victim as their buyer? Why should the seller be out of pocket over the manufacturer's faulty work?

because the seller DIDNT check it before shipping

the moment he /she sells it , the responsibility is on the seller

as some one allready said it

IF they had to pay for shipping back a defective item , they for sure would check it before shipping

if not , they just let YOU chek it ,and you have to pay for shipping back ,

what about the credit card company , if you go to them and say , item NOT as described (working )

i mean ,if you buy a item that is supposed to be working , and its not , then you didnt get what you ordered

just a tip ,, ask the seller before you buy from them

if they say you have to pay for shipping back ,,dont buy

if they say you dont have to , then you have it in the sellers own words in the mail

AND most likely they will actually check your shipment, before they ship

The plumber is at your house. These people are in China. Might as well be on the moon, your ethics do not apply, but you tolerate that because you like the pricing.

Doesn't matter to me. I wouldn't buy from such seller.

My policy is simple. Whoever is at fault should pay.

I don't need to be sure something works when I buy it. No delusions of top notch service. For the cheap chinese prices I only need to be sure that if something does goes wrong it would be fairly resolved. And so far I have not experienced the contrary on the few chinese vendors I've dealt with.

That is 100% exactly correct. No matter what anyone else has to say on the subject, your answer is right on and should be a standard that all companies and sellers should follow. Why should anyone pay good money to get a light that doesn't work? It's not really the sellers fault, but had they checked the light when they got it like they should in the first place before sending it out to a buyer, they could of been the one sending the light back to their supplier instead of you or I having to go through the hassle of sending it back to the seller.

You got it all backwards dude! The seller is providing a product through his supplier. If his supplier can't sell lights that work like they should as a new one should, then he needs to find another supplier. Don't pass your problems on to your buyers. And if you do, you won't stay in business long. That supplier should pick the tab up on the shiiping and reinburse the seller that he sold the faulty light to.

if you've ever tried to send something through canada post then this question wouldn't even be asked..it's so expensive that it makes 20-30$ items not worth the cost..why should I eat the cost because my item is defective? bs..seller should guarantee the item is working when I buy it..that's why I prefer ebay these days..easier to deal with these issues when they arise..

Another reason why I love Cabelas. You buy anything that is not up to par or defective and they will pick up the shipping tab and reimburse UPS. It's a guarantee. The customer is always right. And that is the way it should be.

And any of you sellers here that try to say otherwise needs to think about how long you really wish to stay in business. Once you get a reputation of selling items that aren't what they should be and ask buyers to ship the item back at their expense don't need to be selling stuff in the first place. Stand behind what you sell or get out of selling stuff.

Yes ..According to your first statement the seller is bound by what he said in writing and by buying you are agreeing to his terms ..it's alot like a contract

All vendors let you know this right up front .if you chose not to buy from them then go buy from local more expensive dealers and pay more ..

is this a trick question ??

Are we on CPF ..??

Ask yourself this question ...what should the seller say instead ??

because honestly the thieves aren't the ones selling a light

Pick the worst vendor out there and I'll bet you he's being screwed more than he's ever thought about screwing someone else ...

Who hates thieves the most ??... Sellers

They deal with idiots all day every day .. Shouldn't they at least try to deter the fraudulant returns by saying the seller is culpable to some degree ?? He can always be gracious and try to negotiate a reasonable settlement .. He knows what fair is just like you or I .

There are some pretty unreasonable people out there who think because they bought something from you ..that suddenly they have a right to abuse you .

Just because they are fondling your goods and giving you a hard time doesn't make them a customer and it certainly doesn't make them right .

I'll agree that the customer is always right ...But who or what is a customer??? a customer is someone who "has bought something ,has given you money and is thanking you while they leave "

"The customer is always right " is something you tell your employee

I think ..

sellers should do exactly what they have been doing ...

saying one thing >>you have to pay to return the product ...

and doing another >>usually they fix the problem discount it or refund your money

As a matter of principle I absolutely agree that you shouldn't have to pay to send back a product you didn't order or is defective

But I realize that they have the right to run their business anyway they desire and all I can control is my purchase ..they get my business or they don't .I don't presume to tell them how to run their business

I'm not sure I like the governments telling people how to either.

ILF, I agree with your opinion.

But most Chinese sellers don't, and won't, and there is nothing we can do about it except pay more and buy from reputable sellers. I generally like the lights I get from SB and Lighthound (and even Ebay) more than I like the other stuff, but sometimes I still do the wait-and-see-because-it could-be-worth-it game. Just got a Sipik 18650 from MF, and it was well worth the $14.

I think I have only had 1 DOA light in the last 12 months, SS C3. Overall, that's a good ratio. Better than my experience buying from BLF member Reflection at least.

I'm a seller on eBay and I recently had a buyer receive something DOA. Without giving it a second thought, I reimbursed the buyer for return shipping and refunded 100% of his initial purchase price.

Honestly, I just don't see how anyone could see it another way.

you can't compare a chinese vendor with Cabelas .. people seem to think dino direct runs their business wrong yet they do 600 million a year (guessing ) and the people telling them how to run their business had a paper route as a kid and a landscaping business in college .

I hate to say it but the problem is probably bigger than this discussion ..the answer is neither simple nor is it to be found in this thread

Yea whatever happen to that Reflection guy? Seems he vanished after all of this. Guys like that need the crap beat out of them a few times. That will set them straight.

Sure I can. They don't meet the standard that Cabelas does. It's their fault not mine or anyone elses.

Cabelas has repeat after repeat of the same customers on top of all their new customers each year. They do billions of dollars in sales annually. I love buying from them when I know they get my order exactly right the first time. And they stand behind every item they sell.

then why don't you just buy all your lights from Cabelas?