Is this too good to be true? S2+ for $8.99

Those of us who live in the Southwest U.S. can find scorpions with them. They glow when the UV light hits them.

And I bought two of the grey 7135X6 last time they were on sale at Gearbest. Both work great. I’m thinking maybe they are cleaning out old stock in anticipation of the new firmware?

What emitter did they have?
XML or XM-L2?

They were advertised as XML. Is there a way to tell by looking at the emitter?

Yes,
Is the area around the emitter green or silver?
Green is XML, Silver is XM-L2

I would bet these have the drivers soldered into the pill - solder either instead of or over top of the usual threaded retaining ring.

I thought that all S2+’s with >4 chips were soldered?

My S2+ from GB bought in May is XM-L2. It puts out 665 lumens OTF.

I was sent one of these (grey *6) from GB recently after a giveaway and it is the genuine article!

Thanks for sharing.

I can only remember one batch of fake convoys that GB sold. Other than that all their Convoys have been reported to have been genuine so you’re chances of getting a real one are pretty good. I just want to give a reminder that Gearbest really did sell fake Convoy’s and they were not good lights.

I got a fake red Convoy S2+ from Gearbest and the light is clearly inferior to genuine convoy products. At first the light didn’t seem too bad for $12 but after comparing it to genuine Convoys I saw how horrible the quality of the fake was. Incorrectly advertised emitter, incorrectly advertised driver which is very finicky, aluminum retaining ring instead of brass, and uncomfortable stainless steel button. I got so mad that I actually swore off buying from Gearbest for about a year and only recently started buying from them again after hearing good things on BLF.

I believe Gearbest sorted out the problem and hasn’t sold any fake Convoys for a while, so you should be safe. However, just be aware that Gearbest has sold fake S2+s in the past and they were nasty.

The funny thing is that someone asked recently if the emitter was XM-L or XM-L2 and gearbest replied that it was XM-L. Clearly it’s a case of employees not knowing the product and just quoting the description.

Ordered one, not that i need more flashlights… but hey with points i paid only 7.5USD, great price for what you get, i might build another triple with this one :slight_smile:

Only those you buy cheaply prebuilt — which have been made useless as hosts.
You don’t have to do that.
Instead: Help - advice for Convoy red S2+ driver ground - #7 by hank

Ugh, I saw the sale and told myself “no, you have plenty of Convoy S-series lights”. Then I just couldn’t stand it anymore. Picked one up for $6.31 after points.

Bought one :slight_smile:
Looks like a good deal and first S2+ for me.

Sez $10.59 now. What happened to $8.99

You are right, I chatted with them and they confirmed that yes it’s a flashlight, all she said!!

I saw that in the morning they got either sold all and got new stock??
Let me update the OP

Would have bought for 8.99…but not now :cry:

Sorry for the late response - I was away from my computer this morning. I compared my emitter to the CREE website pictures and it is definitely an XM-L2.