Lenser copy? on Ebay

I have the C78 from DX. It was maybe the first light I ordered from them when I got into flashlights. It is an excellent little zoomer and runs on AA and 14500 but it prefers 14500 cells more. Puts out lots of light and a NiteIze minimag switch gives it extra modes. Makes a great little pocket light and grips well. The anodizing wears away easily but it just gives it character. I still use it so I can tell you it lasts. There are lots of copies out there but this one is good.

I got the $8 Ultrafire Cree/Zoomable light today that is mentioned in the OP.

LOL, for an $8 light is is pretty much a fun toy. At full focus, it has an incredibly narrow and square beam that throws a LONG way for an AA light. I can't think of any other AA lights that throw that far.

On full flood it is useable. It's a cheap light, but it works. Good glove box light.

Haha, I just popped a 14500 into the light and tried it out. It's pretty awesome; about 30% brighter than with an AA. At 100 feet the hotspot is a square that is about 8ft across. Only thing I find annoying about the light is the small holes around the bezel. They let light squirt out and it is distracting when you are looking at the beam.

The brightness of the hotspot at 200 ft with this light is about the same brightness as my Trustfire F15, but it is only about 1/10 the size. But that is pretty amazing for the price.

For 8 bucks I highly recommend this light for the fun factor, especially for a unit this small.

Thanks Trooplewis ;I appreciate my flashlight better when you tell me what it is good at.

Lennart

That's basically the C78 at DX (if the ebay pics are accurate) before they started shipping cheapo copies.

I use some tape over the holes. I cover them partially or use semi-translucent tape so they can still be used to indicate if you left it on when set down.

I bought the torch mentioned in the original post. It's OK, the waiting was fun, the zoom slider is a bit lacking in resistance and the holes around the bezel are annoying. And the switch feels a bit tacky.

At the same time I bought this one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300553338798&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

This is fantastic. Claims to be 400lm with a 14500, feels tougher, is more compact, better resistance in the slider thingy, excellent switch. Looks a bit silly. I put a 14500 in both and the difference is astonishing.

My link references the seller I bought from. 9 days from payment to arrival in UK, which is really very good. So I bought two more to sell on. Again, 9 days to the UK. Must get round to selling the OP torch soon, I'll never use it. I'll probably keep the LED Lenser P3 I bought first, though if I had bought the torch I am recommending here first, I would not have bought the P3.

My credentials? None - I wanted a decent pocket torch and was going to buy a maglite until I did a bit of research, which included this forum. So I'm just posting here to share my experience. First time I have ever come across a 14500. Good aren't they?

Thx for this forum.

Welcome aboard, doofy. The light you're referencing looks like a Sipik SK-68, which is a mightily well liked torch around these parts.

I'm back with a supplementary question that I'm sure must have been done to death here...

Can someone suggest to me what sort of AA or 14500 battery life I might expect from the above two torches. And also bulb life.

Is a 14500 going to fry the bulb quicker than an AA.

Thx for any help - I'm sure its a FAQ so if no reply here, a pointer to the relevant thread would be appreciated.

I think my Sipik runs for about an hour or so with Eneloop. Never really measured that...

On 14500, maybe half or a bit less, no accurate numbers.

I have used Trustfire "Flame" 14500 batteries, like these: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/trustfire-protected-14500-3-7v-900mah-rechargeable-lithium-batteries-2-pack-26124

LED bulbs usually last very long time. With Eneloops or regular batteries, you will have it ~forever.

14500 runs the light hotter and more heat means somewhat shorter lifespan. How much shorter, hard to say. On casual everyday use, I would say it will still last on your use to boredom :D

If you use your light with 14500, it´s a good common sense not to leave it for example running on table by itself. It will become very hot.

If you keep it in your hand, it cools down better.

....and Welcome!! Sipik is a great light to start with!

Thanks for the feedback.

Ermm... my perception of Chinese technology is that it is equalling American or European these days. Is there a perception here as to how Chinese torches/batteries perform against U.S/European competitors?

(I still have a prejudice against Chinese batteries)...

You can get some chinese stuff real cheap and with good or even excellent quality or price/quality -ratio.

There is a lot of junk available also, these forums are great for sorting these things out!

When you read these, you will pretty much know what to buy and get the most use for your buck.

and every single one i own is chinese.

Well, since the "technology" in aluminum tubes is not all that complicated, I'd say we're all on equal there. For the emitters, native chinese industries are still a couple steps behind their foreign counterparts, so the more cutting edges stuff that's popular here in that area are all American/Euro/Japanese parts.

Chinese batteries are not so much different in terms of technology but often poor QC and environmental standards.