Lets see your budget knife collection.

Very nice collection Boom. I think I need to get me one with the green handle. I like it a lot. Where did you get yours and how much? Thanx.

You can buy it on discoverybargain for $9,04

http://www.discoverybargain.com/product/HT00301X/Sanrenmu_F2-723_Folded_Knife_(Black)_21057.html

Thanks Buwuve but it's the other green one (at least I think it's green) which is the one in the middle - 2nd from the top. It does look like a dark green color to me.

That would be the SRM 909 and yes it has green G10 handles. Sold out at many places. Ebay still has it. Get it while you can. ;-)

Bought one. Thanx Vectrex!

[/quote]

Bought one. Thanx Vectrex!

[/quote]

Did you make an offer?

I am pretty sure that 10$ will be accepted ;-), you might want to start lower. You have 3 tries though.

You will love the 909. It’s my EDC

They only had a few left so I just bought one.

I'm an expert, huh? Alright

If you'd asked me a month ago I'd have said it shouldn't matter. However, I just had a definitely NON-budget spring assisted knife (a Benchmade Aphid) break it's spring bar on me while in storage and closed. If you have the space and can store it open safely, you should consider it.

Sorry your knife broke but thanks for the info. That's really good to know.

This raises a concern I have with metallurgy in budget knives. Not to pick on budget knives too harshly; obviously such failures can occur with more premium knives. But one could argue that if such a failure could occur with a premium knife, it could be`more likely to occur with a budget knife.

The axis lock in particular, with it's tiny spring, has me wondering if this lock design is really suitable in a budget format. Spring temper is a big deal with such a critical part. Perhaps Sanrenmu etc. have suitably high standards of manufacturing that it's not an issue, but I wouldn't trust a run of the mill DX axis lock. It isn't rocket science - some old 1911 pistol magazines have been found, fully loaded with the magazine spring compressed for years, and they still function reliably.

For an assisted folder, I might be more willing to trust a torsion bar type assist than a coil spring. Which is the BM Aphid?

Sorry for the late reply, but I see you already found a proper resolution. I got mine from Exduct while they still had them. You will probably be very happy with that knife, I know that I am.

I just really like the looks. It's something about them Land knives that I really like. I wonder how many of them knives marked 'Land' are out there?

Torsion bar. I'd honestly not be too worried about springs, as the metallurgy necessary for long-term function has been known for a very long time. Same kind of heat treatment and preparation that would be necessary for springs in watches, car springs, weapons, mechanical components in war machines etc. I will say that I've never had a torsion bar from a budget knife break, while I have had torsion bars from Kershaw and Benchmade break.

Umm, i'm no expert by any means. Quite less than others you mentioned. I simply like them hardly use them. My obeservations and the tiny reviews of knives should be taken lightly and are usefull mostly to get a rough idea to what expect. I simply point out what i like and what i do not. I have very basic knife knowledge. I'm still going from novice apprentice to amateur on knives. :)

I will probably never own a high end (very expensive) knife anyway. At least not a EDC... would not mind a great kitchen knife.

Hey fishinfool, can you point out the spring assisted knives you have and possibly where to get them? Anyone else with some experience here please also chip in.

I have a few SRM's and Bee's but they don't seem to make assisted open ones.

In my top picture the top two knives and the bottom two knives are spring assisted they all came from DX so I hope you aren't in a rush to get them.

Which one do you suppose is the best made and perhaps provide a link?

DX knifes can be hit and miss. I have the Boker w/ wood handle and polished blade. It's very nice but very difficult to one-hand and some of the screw tend to escape until I lock-tited them.

I found this one and it seems to review well: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/steel-snake-manual-release-folding-knife-22-5cm-full-length-33987

Aloha agenthex!

The 2nd one from the left is a SOG Flash 1 which was a gift and the 3rd one is a cheap Super Knife ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKNGiwdyIig ) that I really love playing with. It also feels really good to hold in my hands. The SOG is very nice but is a bit too small for me and since it was a gift--I don't want to lose it or mess it up. The super knife on the other hand is cheap enough that if it broke or got lost--I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

The 3rd knife from the left is also called a Super Knife but I don't really like it at all. The one above looks nicer to me and is so much more fun to play with. It's just like having a switch blade.