Li-Ion or NiMH?

[quote=fishinfool]

- Don’t get them wet

[/quote]

Don't ever feed them after midnight!

(those over 30 will get it...)

I remember that movie......only because Phoebe CatesKiss was in it.

Now I have to go and rent Fast Times at Ridgemont High. 8)

Totally off topic:

In 1984, when I was 8 years old, the movie Gremlins scared the hell out of me. I was sure that they lived in my closet and under my bed. My sister, who was 6 at the time, was also traumatized. Now that we're adults, we watch horror films because we don't scare so easily. Although I frequently carry bright flashlights in my neighborhood, I don't do it because gremlins don't like bright lights. I do it because neighborhood pit bulls also don't like bright lights. Be careful out there, because scary monsters do exist. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go reload my shotgun and make some more T-Virus vaccine.

Phoebe Cates . was a hot chiquitta ... "Doesn't anyone ever knock around here?"..Brad .!!"So what's the secret sauce over at bronco burger ? ketchup and mayonaise..Why what's the secret sauce at ALL American Burger ..thousand island...

Danger is my business!"

The voltages are OK - on standing. They will be lower when pulled out of the light just after use. As long as they are above 2.5-2.8V immediately after switch off they should be fine.

I'd add - don't charge hot batteries - let them cool first.

I think it's a very important info for newbies. We should make a stiky post, but only with this info, don't do this, don't do that, voltages, how to charge, etc.

http://www.lxe.com/uploadedFiles/pdf/White_Papers/wp_Li-IonBatteries.pdf

According to this PDF li-ion batteris have a operating temperature range from 0-60 celsius. As opposed to 100F (around 37C) stated before.

However severe capacity degradation can be observed when stored at high temperatures.

And if you must store them at high temperatures it is important to discharge them to 3.6V or less - that way there will be less permanent loss of capacity. In fact, storing lithium ion or lithium polymer cells fully charged is not good for them - around 3.6V is what is usually reported as best if you aren't' going to use them soon.

Added to list. Thanks Don.

I didn't see it mentioned, possibly because it's too obvious....but Don't SHORT them out!

-Let's say a certain person is going to check voltage on his freshly charged cell, but gets distracted by the missus who's mumbling something under her breath ( flashlighs...mumble....batteries?!?....mumble....needs to be comitted....mumble mumble...). Said person starts to take a voltage reading and is rewarded with a loud pop and subsequent sizzle because the meter probes were still plugged into the AMPS reading! The worst part is the smell....so I'm told

(actually I'm quite fastidious when it comes to my li-ions. But a fun little fable never hurts).

Good point. I've certainly done that. It is a good idea to pay attention to what one is doing.

Oh yes, almost did it a few times. Im not very organized and ulrea precise (when not required) but that i managed to double check,

i'm confused ..Would this certian person be the same one who blames his own stupidity on other people to make himself feel better ??.

".OUCH" Now who parked that car there ..huh ??.. me ? .."well ....who made me park it there in the first place " ?

or is it ...

"Gee honey when you're done playing with your flashlights there will be lots of ice cream , hot fudge and sex on the dining room table if you're interested ...oh and by the way ...make sure and change the meter to voltage instead of amps before checking those 3.7 volt cells ...right now I'm going to get beer and chips for you and your buddies when you get back from hunting so you guys don't get hungry while you watch football on the big screen tv I bought you ."

and then you wake -up..

Lithium ion isn't all that scary..Every cell phone in the world is using them ...Your kitchen knives are lethal too ..Just respect them like .. guns and gasoline .

You typed 167 words....but I still have no earthly idea what your point was.... I want to try that:

Excuse me, do you speak taco?

Then I says to her "That was my fish!"

except the problem sounds like whereas the

smell of trumpets sets my elbow meat a itchin...

OK...now your turn to interpret

yea mtach, boaz is known to confuse the hell outta people

a few times i thought he was insulting me.

boaz, you type too much lol

All NiMH batteries are very safe, especially in flashlights where they really aren't being overdriven (like in RC hobby stuff). But some NiMH batteries are better than others. If you don't have a lot of AA devices then you can keep your expenses low by getting cheap batteries and chargers, but if you will use them a lot, then get decent low self-discharge batteries (Hobby King has Turnigy brand batteries that are pretty cheap) and try to find a charger that charges batteries individually instead of in pairs. And don't get the crazy rapid 15-minute chargers. I wouldn't use anything that takes less than an hour and have no problem with ones that take 2-6 hours.

Best idea. Don't buy NiMH from DX. Or China.

BTY branded batteries are complete rubbish - no matter how cheap they are, they are still junk.

The Turnigy ones seem to be decent. But most random Chinese branded cells are a waste of money.

I will not buy any AA NiMH that claims more than 2300mAh. There are plenty that claim more and they are all rubbish. Including the well-known brand names.

I'm very, very suspicious of any AA NiMH claiming more than 2100mAh capacity. Some of them will manage 2900mAh. For ten minutes after charging.