Lights to stop traffic? Crosswalk safety, day and night

Hmmm, how about a “Superhero Shield” thing for children? That might work with the big drivers from RMM for multiple emitters.

I’m imagining something that could strap over a forearm, with a handgrip and button to make the thing light up in a big flashing circle?

’oogled, and lo: this is a wimpy little toy, but the idea works:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/32cm-Movie-Avengers-Alliance-Captain-America-Cosplay-Costume-LED-Flash-Shield-Red-Blue-Light-Sound-Captain/32419486674.html

My beloved spouse reminds me something that was, maybe still is, available elsewhere in town for me to track down.

There are crosswalks with, at each end, a bucket containing bright neon flags on short sticks.
The idea is for people to pick one up and wave it while crossing, then leave it on the other side.

Dunno how long they stay around, but worth pursuing.
No batteries required …

We have tried flush mounted pavement markers but they get plowed when it snows up here in Canada.

You can try asking for raised crosswalk (a speed hump with a flat top with crosswalk marking).

There are several kinds of “enhanced crosswalks” in my suburb (this may create/cause a problem of no standards.) Never seen on residential streets, as you point out, always on arterials or in school zones.

The most effective from my viewpoint is the LED strips along the full length of the crosswalk. They are activated at the curb by the person wanting to cross. Really gets your attention.

The latest innovation I have seen is stop signs and crosswalk signs with a border of flashing LEDs that are always on. These are powered by a solar panel on top of the sign standard. My fear is that these will loose effectiveness as drivers become desensitized to them.

There have been a few “stings” covered with lots of local media attention. It is amazing to see the percentage of drivers blowing past pedestrians in a crosswalk.

BrightKen wrote

This is exactly why I’m trying to focus on ideas for self-carried attention-getters, like the strobe amber I carry every day (but better and hands-free, for kids’ use)

Because consciously selecting to turn on the bright flasher (or whatever) goes along with situational awareness — looking up and down the streets around where you’re planning to cross for drivers, to point the bright light at.

I’ve just once had a driver call out “Too bright!” — and multiple times had drivers slow down and say “great light!” as they passed.

The drivers appreciate having their attention caught.

Bumpers and windshiels cost so damn much to replace, ya know ….

Ain’t the ‘Peds’ or seeing them- it’s the pi$$-poor drivers. Same ones who will not see cyclists or make space for others to merge. No light can fix that.

Phil

From experience, a handheld bright strobe waved by myself and friends, in the crosswalk, does get the attention of most drivers…

It may take a few seconds, they may lay some rubber stopping.

But they do stop.

Perhaps it’s because I scream really loudly after the first second or so of obvious inattention.

That also attracts witnesses.

Seriously — don’t give up.

Also, don’t just immediately flee. That sets a bad example.

RRFB was designed from the flashers on top of ambulances. We are also replacing the yellow high pressure sodium streetlights with LED streetlights. It is also amazing on the definition of peds.

Yes, Berkeley has been installing the RRFB devices for a while now.

(I’d guess “flagging” is a typo for “flashing” there)

Does anyone know where single LED units of the type that go into these flasher bars can be bought?
Might be an interesting emitter if they’re using a dedicated strobe, for a portable light that a kid could carry.

thanks U