Lights you're ashamed you're even thinking of buying

I got this one rubber floating light from Harbor Freight once. It's got 6 of those 0.5-1w looking led's and it's 4AA in a neat compact package, how could you go wrong? Well, the smell on that thing as soon as I opened the package was so strong that I'm surprised we're not hearing about dead chinese flashlight factory workers on the news.

I soaked that thing in the meanest chemicals I can find in the garage and all I managed to do was make the laundry even more foul and corrode the battery holder. It went in the trash sans reflector/led assembly (which seemed ok) and I'm pretty sure a garbageman somewhere is suing his employer for disability benefit.

I almost got the 109(!) led light from there just for kicks:

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-3-4-quarter-inch-109-led-flashlight-98506.html

That must be why these came in an open box just laying in a pile. It gave them time to air out.

I don't think my statements above fully conveyed the hideous nature of this thing (they're certainly not exaggerations). I mean, I literally drenched it in every common household chemical, and still cannot take it inside the house. If we were to air out a box of them in a retail store, it'd get shut down by the state within the day, and maybe even qualify for a superfund grant. Ok maybe that last part is exaggerated, but not by much. I wouldn't be surprised if I sprout a third eye from handling that thing.

Unfortunately it seems too grotesque to even find an image of on the web, and I didn't snap a pic when I had it for fear its spirits captured in the photo would come back to haunt me.

When I first saw this thread I was thinking to myself why would you be ashamed of wanting a flashlight?

I stand corrected!

BTW has anyone done a double XML mod to the Pig light yet? I think I see a project coming my way

Did you see the review of the 109 led flashlight? You reviewers on this board need to take a look at these reviews on Harbor Freight and take a lesson form an expert!

"Flashlight provides an overwhelming amount of light if directed at the face of another person during periods of darkness."

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-3-4-quarter-inch-109-led-flashlight-98506.html

Now this is the kind of review we need. Not all the fluff you guys add. Just pure and simple, how well does it blind people in the dark!

Agree on the 3AAA bit,but there are useful worklights with 3AA. I have had one similar to this for years:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140529303236&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Lennart

Awww... c'mon agenthez...

"I almost got the 109(!) led light from there just for kicks"

You're just trying to outdo my 68 LED job LOL. What's 41 LEDs amongst friends?

I also loved that reviewer's comment that the light "mimics that of HID headlights"! Maybe BMW and Mercedes should be buying 'em for their vehicles instead of wasting 3 grand a pair on their own headlights?

And Another review, further down

[quote] Has 2 settings, spot and flood.

Very, very bright.

Recommended. [/quote]

Becasue we can adjust the optics of each of the 109 5mm leds....

10 mode 3 leds.. unique design.......?

Maybe not!

2 modes, 1 LED, dual-purpose:

I've never seen a flashlight where the secondary illumination is a raw arc, but what the heck, it's light!

Edit: linked image to store for fun!

.....you sure this is a light????

when a persons name is edc and shows you one of these … sorta makes you cringe

Do I need to ask?? is that your edc ? :P

oh my Surprised

ROFL! And just where do you carry it??

This thread only took one page for someone to win

Yep. of course, now I'm curious what he does for a living, that he has THAT as an EDC item...

I handled one of those over at Smoky Mountain Knife Works a couple of weeks ago. Looked like it might be a handy budget utility light......

agenthex, I bought that light when it was half price on opening day of a brand new store near my house. I did buy this light before joining this forum so I really had no point of reference. It wasn't bad for $12.50 but now that I have several XM-Ls, especially the KD C8 with a smooth reflector, save your $12.50 - it's better spent elsewhere.

Wasn't someone looking for a pink flashlight for their girlfriend/ wife. I didn't buy it. My wife would kill me after sticking that some where unpleasant on MY body.

How did I highjack my own thread ??

I thought it was just a cool Mp3 player anyway .

this is just too cute. LOL. does it work well?