Lithium batteries are not tobacco paraphernalia.

Oh yeah, I hear you can get Ebola if somebody shines a lithium powered flashlight on you…

I hear you catch Ebola if someone vapes within 100 yards. Breathing out those clouds of ebloa infested air.

http://slati.lung.org/slati/statedetail.php?stateId=47#jump3 Here is one general link that gives state overviews on tobacco laws. This is happening. I’m not going into a ecig store but I will attempt to buy 14500 batteries when they become available in department stores. I bought a new charger the Digipower TC U450 that claims to be able to charge these. Department stores assume any thing in the tobacco corral requires a photo ID to purchase. To be fair ever Radioshack and Batteries Plus don’t have these available now so the general public public can not be expected to know this. Stores have limited space and they will move items to the department that has the greatest sales. Currently they are in sporting goods auto parts and even toys. Don’t argue with store employees if they card you make an excuse not to buy the product and go some where else. Stores have the right to ban you for any reason.

Sorry, stores can not require an ID for whatever the hell they please.
Store can not even require ID when using a visa or mastercard. ConsumerReports.org: Can a merchant require ID for a credit / debit purchase

The real issue of prohibition is the money made by criminals. Biggest boost to organised crime was prohibition, and now drugs. It enabled criminals and corruption to become entrenched at all levels of authority like a cancer.

That’s probably about the least intrusive thing they could do, much worse is harassing all your friends and questioning you boss and your kid’s school teachers and the cashier after you check out at the grocery and your minister and your mother in law and everyone else. Atleast when they break own your door its over quickly.