Locking mechanisms on blades. Whats the best? Reason?

Nice. Demonstrates several things pretty well:

- Even getting a shot off before being hit can still result in death or serious injury

- Being unaware and caught by surprise can shave a lot of distance

- Attacker with weapon ready in hand shaves distance

- Needing to chamber a round, unsafe, and sight all require time and determination/poise

- A thug coming to beat you without even a real weapon is a serious thing

And, lock type is far less important than access if you are being attacked :slight_smile:

I think you will like the EL-01. It is not small (blade is nearly 4” long), quick thick liners, and of course it flips open! :bigsmile:

+1 I like to carry a blade between 3.5 & 4 inches. Kinda a general all around knife that can be used for several different tasks.

The closest thing to a fixed blade that I have found in a folder is the Benchmade 610 Rukus, it weighs as much as my fixed blade Glock knife that I like to carry when appropriate, but it is more discrete.

Here is a detailed evaluation of it. Duty carry
!!

NICE! +1

What they didn’t really say in Chloe’s video, is that even when Adam managed to get a shot off, unless it was instantaneously lethal to his attacker, he would also have been seriously injured or killed. Anybody with a weapon and the will to use it is a threat regardless of the distance from you unless you can literally stop them in their tracks with 100% certitude.

Of course I don’t use folders at home, except for jobs so small it is not worth going to the kitchen or the store room to get a solid tang knife.
I generally don’t find a lot of correlation between price and utility of knives. Remember that the ancient Romans were clean shaven, so it can’t take high technology to get a sharp edge. It is more a matter of the right knife for the job and tastes.

Well I’m on a Cold Steel kick at the moment, 7.5” Espada XL, 4.25” Kudu, 3.5” AK-47, 4” Voyager Vaquero, 4” Talwar (incoming), 4.5” Spartan, so I have to throw in a vote for the Tri-Ad interpretation of the backlock.

I also like Spyderco knives, and their Byrd range as well. Back locks are my preferred lock, but liner locks are easy to use one handed, and for a general carry utility knife the Buck Vantage Pro (S30V steel) is a very good little knife.

Whichever guy I was in that video, the one with the weapon already in his hand, or the one with his weapon sheathed, I would still choose that the weapon be a gun.

I do like my “Paul” button locks. A little bit different.
I have about 150 folders. Most of them high end, $150-$250. The one that I have been carrying to work every day for almost three years is a Spyderco Delica.

First off, I’m having to take these drugs to stop me thinking about that horrible, disgusting thing you did with the staples… The Dr. gave them to me. You should try them, they’re great. They’re called “Placebo”…

Sorry to wax philosophical, but I don’t think that’s “OT” at all! You have asked the silent question my friend Roy made famous: “So what, who cares?”… By that I mean, the thread is about the “best” lock for a folding knife. Someone needed to ask the question “why?”…

Preventing cutting yourself while parting the brainstem of an armed attacker seems to me like one good answer…

A wise cartoon once said: “Fortune favors the prepared”…

This thread seems to be more concerned with the notion that you’ve used your best situational awareness, your sidearm is at low-ready, your lights are on, your focus is as sharp as your blade, your preparations are first-rate; and still Murphy lives there. Mr. Night Soil, meet Mr. Air Circulating Device. Now that you’re “in it”, what knife are you holding in your hand, and how does it lock?

The Mythbusters just make it a little-bit entertaining.

That’s what I think, but I’m just …

Dim

Don’t worry, after removing a few this way I cut most of the fabric off then pulled the remaining strips (taking the staples with it!) which turned out to be much quicker. I wonder how the tips will perform prying open paint tins… :ghost:

This is true, although I’m sure they’d really appreciate our technology. Interesting read:
http://www.moderngent.com/history_of_shaving/history_of_shaving.php

My SRM LAND 962 is one of the original ones when they made them with quality materials and machining, the axis lock is smooth and easy to open and easy to close with one finger, it’s nothing like the newer ones re-made by another name that are terrible, they don’t open without force even if you loosen the pivot and when you close it you can feel the bad machining on the slide that holds the lock bar which is why it doesn’t open and close smoothly. But i have had afew of the ganzo, and other srm knives with the axis lock and i have to say they’re not that great but with alittle fettling on then they turn out better than expected. I’d take the axis over any other knife though as it’s just a favourite of mine because it’s just simple and ambidextrous to use.

That’s the thought that got me rev’d … well, that and remembering fitness and a knife aren’t enough for defense when you’re sick (weak, old, or just really not into being beat on by somebody who feels the need).

Everyone has different styles, but something that I recommend for people who are smart and are old or unfit and want to be able to fight close in with a knife, is a knife similar to the Spyderco civilian.

It is useful for slashing when the attacker comes at you or is already on you.

The knife is purely for fighting, not normal tasks.

!!

That looks similar to a Matriarch. This blog refers to it as the “man-opener”! :ghost:

Nice. My Stainless Endura on ’roids.

Note to self: modify ladybug hawkbill ebay alert

Now if only there is an auto-opener version …

I'm a knife newbie (though been carrying basic knives and a Swiss Army Knife for years and I voted Liner lock. Most of my liner locks lock up really solid and won't close even if I try and force them. I just received my first Axis lock, a Ganzo G704 - my first Ganzo too, and I don't think it's working right. I've been wanting to post about it (and will later) but the axis "pin" barely goes over the back end of the blade to lock it. I'm very concerned that one time it won't lock right while I'm using it. I also don't understand how you're supposed to open this knife. I pull back on the axis lock and the blade just goes limp. Am I supposed to hold the lock, give the knife a flick with my wrist (to toss the blade open), and let go of the lock? The knife looks and feels great, but this axis lock seems to make it awkward to use.

-Garry

Had this one 15 years… Gerber got this one right.