Looking for a Bug Out (BOB) Survival Light

Yes 18350s work best depending on drop in depends on battery IMR for XML, Lion for XPG.

I moved the Fenix LD20 and PD31 down my short list and after your recommendations have replaced them with the 4 Sevens Quark AA2 R5 orAA2 R5 Turbo.

Two quick questions to you Quark owners.

• The programability difference between the regular series and the tactical/turbo series is that I can program the primary and secondary outputs but the regular series is fixed, right?
  • In the turbo/tactical series, can I still access the other modes simply with half clicks?

Still checking out your other recommendations, keep them coming. :glasses:

By the way, kudos for having a BOB. Most people don't think that far ahead.

I keep a Get Home Bag in my car, just because I'm prepared at home and that is where I want to get to in an emregency.

I think you were making a big mistake by eliminating the Red Dawn Senario.

After all....they made it in to a real Hollywood Movie.....TWICE. Totally Realistic!!!!

For short term, order cr123a batts in big boxes.($.90 each).

For long term, the easy way is to get a solar panel charger for a 12 volt gell cell and use that to run your Xtar WP2 II charger.

Here's a picture of an Duracell alkaline that leaked 4 1/2 years early (use by date MAR 2016). Almost killed my wireless mouse.

Alkaline will leak, I have had it happen 3 or 4 times in the last few years on relatively fresh cells. I would check them often in anything of value. They are worse when discharged.
I can’t argue with the SC50/51 option, I want one of the neutral or hi-criminal ones. I generally prefer single cell lights, but there are times where a 2 cell feels better (and generally have more output and efficiency. I like the Quarks for the legislation options. Wish I could buy a 2aa body for my V10A sometimes.

I'd like to revisit my last post, and apologize, I didn't mean to sound stupid, OOPS!

I wanted to get a clearer view of your focus. As I'm sure you know, there are a lot of Rambo's found in forums.

Sometimes it's difficult to convey feelings or intent. Believe me, I am on your side. I guess inside I'm still a Boy Scout, "Be Prepared", and all that.

I saw old4570's post about a Solarforce l2i, that he's got set-up to run what looks like EVERYTHING. I'm writing him soon to see if he will post pictures.

I was thinking about adding a Solarforce L2M with the extension tube to my modest collection, but in retrospect I'd like a second L2T and a "dummy" C123 cell.

I've had some bad experiences with AA alkaline's of late. I've lost a couple to different devices due to leakage. I'm probably going to avoid alkaline batteries when-ever possible.

So I have to ask, what is a BIB?

I have a small re-supply kit in the car, but so far, I feel limited by seasonal temperature issues. I'd like to include 3 or 4 day supply of my daily prescriptions, but summer heat is a concern.

Still a work in progress...

"...sound stupid"? What are you talking about? That was totally a legit question. Yes, there are many people out there preparing for a Zombie Apocalypse. But I opted to scale things down a bit. Someone asked me, "What are you preparing when there's an Earth killing asteroid coming towards us?" My answer was short, "I'll add an umbrella to my kit!"

As far as the alkaloid batteries, my plans are to run with lithiums in all of my gear. Especially those for my GHB and BOB.

Ah... the ever elusive "BIB"... (B)ug I(n) (B)ox or (B)ag. This kit is primarily for a Stay in Place or Stay and Shelter scenarios. That's when we experience extended outages of power, gas and water but are able to still stay in or around our home. I will PM you with links to my kits.

http://www.solarforce-sales.com/product_detail.php?t=FB&s=9&id=27 L2i Host

http://www.solarforce-sales.com/product.php?sname=&s=10&t=RB Chose a drop in .

Thanks to all of those BLF'ers who responded with your suggestions. It was a lot of research through the BLF archives, reviews, etc. In fact all of your suggestions were so good, that I used a few of them as EDC's for me and my family.

If you recall, I made a slight requirement change and was looking for a dual role a nightstand/BOB light. With that I chose to go with the Quark X 123^2.

For the nightstand, it

• bright enough light at 360 lm
  • low-low setting at .3 lm
  • can run 2 x CR123A, 2 x RCR123A or 1x 17670 batteries

For the BOB, it

• small enough to carry with me
  • throw in six (6) CR123A's into the BOB and since they have a long life (10 years), they're fine sitting in the bag till they're called upon.
  • has 5 modes (yes even the annoying strobe)
  • can be mounted on my firearms

BUT here's the bonus (based on your feedback)...

...I go ahead and buy the Quark 2xAA body, store two lithium AA's in it and if we find ourselves in a dire situation we can use any variety of batteries by simply swapping bodies. From what I've read... this SHOULD work.... right?

Let me know what you all think. I'm holding off buying the 2xAA body until I get your feedback and confirmation from 4sevens that I can swap bodies.

I would recommend a quark 1xaa plus a 1xcr123a body. If for some reason you only have one cell of either you won't be limited by a 2x body. You can always carry extra cells around. The 2xcr123a has a minimum voltage of 3v. So there is no way to back track.

Not even sure if 2xaa would work with the 2x123 quark correctly.

Got word back from 4Sevens Tech Support and although the 2xAA body will lego fine with the 2x123 head. Unfortunately, they said there won't be enough power with the 2xAA's to even drive the emitter.

Will attempt to provide a layman review of the light when it arrives next week.