Looking for the ideal flashlight

How about an Olight SR Mini? 3 LEDS, TIR lenses and diffuser, 3 x 18650 so plenty of run time, just under 50mm diameter, only thing lacking is the levels you are after.

What I think of this light depends greatly on how the runtimes.
I really fear it’s much less because they use the deceptive ANSI standard. ANSI FL1 Standard - LED-Resource

If only Turbo steps down I don’t care. All I’m after is a steady 1800lm
If that’s so this light is high on my list. If not, very low on my list.

/EDIT found this review

Pitty, I have some good wide tops. The real button tops seem to come in lower capacities only. Blob-o-solder I guess :slight_smile:

That makes me hope 20700 cells fit….

My Pflexpro Convoy S2+ triple Nichia 219C 4000K 90CRI on 18650 will do 800 lumens OTF for 3 min until thermal control drops it to about 500, and should run over an hour at that level. Can be boosted temporarily to 1600 lumens in short bursts. The 70CRI version is much more efficient. You’re not going to get 1200 lumens for an hour in a pocketable light, not with hi CRI, they are less efficient. Not going to be big enough to keep it cool if its pocket size. At least you would be able to program the mode groups exactly how you want.

You have unrealistic expectations, IMO. A light that can sustain 1200-1800 lm output for an hour without getting too hot to the touch will need a large head/body to help dissipate heat, which means it will not be pocketable.

Maybe it’s unrealistic but I can’t give up before the race has begun :slight_smile:
Seriously now. I was just quoting from CLF and if I read things correctly 1200lm works up to 140 mins without stepdown.
The manufacturer claims 180 mins

See graph halfway down this page: [CPF](http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:ODkcprGMcZEJ:www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php%3F412253-Olight-SR-MINI-II-2015-(3xXM-L2-3x18650)

With three LEDs and three 18650s it’s really not that difficult…

Over 5” long, almost 2” in diameter, and about 15 oz in weight including batteries… and you call that pocketable? I guess it’s all relative. You could be wearing clown pants. :slight_smile:

BTW, that Olight is about the size of my Haikelite MT02, which will maintain about 2000 lumen until the batteries die, and as long as you’re moving and there is some airflow, it won’t get so hot that you’d have to drop it. But again, it’s far from a pocketable light due to its size and weight.

Actually I do. For the spare cells :slight_smile:

I see that as confirmation for the above mentioned claims by manufacuter and tester.

Yup. Easily achievable in that form factor.

It’d be interesting to know head temps.

That light is just slightly smaller than an x7 NW Marauder and 1800 lm with that light can be sustained right after the turbo timers. 2.5 min @ 9000 turbo s then steps to 1800, and Turbo 5500 lm for 8 min then 1800lm until your batteries go flat. Or just run high at 3000 till batteries go flat. True, no TIR but you don’t need it for that flooder.

Manker MK34 is available with Nichia hi CRI, 55mm width

I went back and re-read his OP. He is fine with a light that takes 4x18650 or even 4x21700. Obviously his definition of a “pocket-sized light” is a bit different than yours and mine. :slight_smile:

Thanks Boaz, great you do this so we don’t have to spend $20-$30 on a whole roll. I might have to try it out sometime…

sounds EXACTLY what ZoomieFan needs though.

Maybe this?

• 1500lm
  • 2hrs runtime on High
  • 4-mode (no strobe)
  • Multi-LED (2 white)
  • 120 degree wide angle beam
  • Pure flood (mule) - no hotspot at all
  • Pocket size 140*32*45

click on photo for gearbest link
(Looks like they typo’d the runtime spec in the photo, max 25h should be for the 26650 and visa-versa)

There’s a couple beamshots here:
http://www.torchy.co.uk/product/brinyte-div08w-150mt-diving-videophoto-torch/
“26650 battery (gives over 2 hours on brightest mode)”
1900lm high
5500-6000K

Not exactly sure what the OP is using the flashlight for, but his requirements sort of add up to one of these diving/video/photography lights (I think)

This has nearly all the requirements he listed.

[quote=Throw me in to darkness]

I think there is a misunderstanding here…… LOL

Indeed I used the words “you misunderstood me” or similar, several times. But that was always about the turbo mode which on many lights exceeds 3000lm. I called such modes a gimmick because they step down so quickly. I also wrote 1800 or even 1200 is more than enough for my needs. So even if turbo could be sustained until the battery is empty I would not use it because it decreases runtime. I even mentioned once or twice, I would like to get rid of Turbo completly. Have it reprogrammed into a much lower useful value. Halve it.

So whatever you think I mean (keep in mind this isn’t my first language) I’m never talking about above 1800lm, in fact I would be happy with 1200lm sustained.
I have a Convoy BD04 zoomie which outputs about 650lm on high. It heats up. So trust me, I do know lights heat up. But I also know the thermal path of that light isn’t good. It’s mainly the head getting warm. Obvious, but good heatsinking would spread it more over the body. But there isn’t much to spread because the body is very thin. So I do see possibilities for improvement.

Each and every test I’ve seen shows a very quick stepdown on those extreme turbo modes. To avoid confusion, I never read reviews of those backpack sized lights. I like pocket lights. But my definition of that doesn’t seem to be very standard :slight_smile:
But even if 650lm is the undisputable limit for a flashlight this size there is room for improvement. If Simon would put a new BD04 zoomie with 21700 support on his site, I would order today. If next weeek he upgrades it with a high cri LED I would order again. So I’m not only looking for more lumen. I also look for more runtime, more smooth beam and better color rendering. Stuff like stepless dimming or ramping I also see as an upgrade.
So while most certainly I’m also guilty of the focus shifting to lumen, it’s not the only thing I’m after as my OP shows.

Ha, I can understand that. The idea is of the charger is good. I hardly ever use it because I’m sure that charging cap will get lost quickly.
Is there a mod to remove the charging functionality to make room of a bigger cell?

My custom Eagle Eye X6 can dissipate the heat from draining a 3400mah Panasonic 18650GA in an hour without thermal regulation, probably outputs 1200 lumens OTF but isn’t high CRI. You could mod one with quad LEDs and it would probably be close enough to 1200. The H17F driver I have in it can be programmed however I want it. Or wait and see what the new Acebeam ec65 levels are like

Acebeam embraces Nichia with the EC65 Quad 4000K (18650/20700)

As you can read in my signature, I’ve given up and bought them all so I can compare :slight_smile:
Still have to pick a headlamp, while not ultra bright they look great for certain tasks.
But making a choice is quite hard. Again! :slight_smile:

Skihunt: Very cheap and I like that ‘lens door’ click

Armytek: I like the fact that they don’t step down but just run at 100% and shut down because the battery is dead (except the highest mode) click

Zebralight: High CRI, perfect mode configuration, floody, frosted lens. I can find no info on runtime. PID is all it states on the website. click

Olight: The possiblity to short circuit it takes it of my list.

Acebeam: The group selection ring is great. If the 500lm mode doesn’t stepdown I would be happy with it click

Yes I agree a very tough decision in that group, I’m looking to upgrade my angle light and have pondered it long and hard and still haven’t decided.

Thanks for linking that Acebeam, didn’t know about that one, but I wouldn’t have included it in my post for your recommendation because it doesn’t have a TIR with diffuser lens like the others. It will have a concentrated hot spot because it’s a reflector light. I also like the diffuser “Door” on the reflectored Skilhunt.

And I would consider both the 2300lm Olight and 2500lm Acebeam as being “ultra bright”.

Also about the Olight, that problem has been corrected, they’ve re-designed the tail cap so that can’t happen anymore:

It was asked about recently (this month) in the Q/A section in their site: Olight | Illuminate Your World.

“With the new tail cap is there still a danger of shorting out with metal objects?”

OLIGHT answer:
“The new tailcap does not have a danger of shorting out with metal objests”

The Olight is very high on my decision list, one reason is I really like the Magnetic Charging Dock system (docking base is optional, extra cost) even though I have several good chargers I still want that, it’s just very convenient. I also like the switch on top, because now I’m used to that from using the Nitecore.