Luminus SBT-70 - Why don't I need one?

Have you ordered a couple yet or what?

I might have one come at me via devious routes. >)

It looks like the Phlatlight PT-54 that I use for making red aspheric throwers. Same company makes them anyway. It does put off a lot of heat but also a lot of light and in the Red color spectrum at least they seem a ton brighter than what the meter says they are. The ones I bought came out of projectors and have the big honking heatsink attached to them. They will handle 9amps no problem IF you can make a heatsink that can handle them.

This link has the spec sheets for a few of their emitters.

http://www.luminus.com/products/PT-54.html

It’s hard to say why you don’t need them, it’s like asking why you shouldn’t climb the mountain. It’s there, therefore you need them!!

Hmm. One would surmise there is a crash test dummy in our midst. Good luck.

How about a foot or two of 8mm stranded optical fiber? Cram one end I the head and pull the strands apart on the other and get yourself a 360^ mule.

But for one thing, the SBT-70…you’re covering it up and I want to SEE it! I can use any light source to disperse light via optics, doesn’t have to be a $63 one! If I’m paying that much for some kind of ultimate high tech emitter, I want to be able to see the dang thing, ya know?

I wonder how many lumens the SBT-70 produces at 2A? 3A? Even 1.5A? I’m thinking an FET driver to allow the cell to give whatever it’s got, maybe 5 levels so I have some options on run time or fast death. :slight_smile:

Just trying to help out with a mod idea since your not building a bigger bullet. How about a bridgelux array light whip?

For the record I did actually end up with a Luminus SBT-70 emitter. I reflowed it to a Noctigon MT-G2 star and it works fine. I cut this star down to almost 16mm. After trying it in several lights, and in mule configuration, I ended up finding it a good home.

It’s now a permanent resident in my TangsFire TS2010. This light is equipped with the big copper pill from Ryan, I built an early BLF17DD for it back when these drivers were first coming out (I have the 200 ohm resistor standing on end under the FET gate PWM leg)

After a tedious session boring out the reflector and effectively removing the entire flat portion, the reflector now surounds the big Luminus emitter and allows it to do it’s thing, sans the AR coated glass window.

With a 26650 Powerizer cell freshly charged, I’m seeing 11.30A to the SBT-70 for 1335 lumens with 128.5Kcd lux, 717M throw. And I can fully SEE this neat emitter! :slight_smile: The big cell gives it power for a while, I’m looking at the Keeppower 5200mAh cells, thinking it’d have considerably longer run times with somewhat less overall initial output.

Here’s a couple of beamshots…taken with my Canon G1X at 1600 ISO, f/5.6 on the 28mm wide angle, f/5.8 on the 112mm zoom. Each at 1/2 second exposure. I use these settings as a standard for all my beamshots. Some lights overpower it a bit… like this one. The red oil drum is 97 yards away.

So after trying 5 or 6 different configurations, the big Luminus SBT-70 has finally found a home. :slight_smile: I Like It! :slight_smile:

How do you like it over MTG2/XML2?

At a glance, seems like a dedomed MTG2 would be a better option, but I haven't seen the sbt70 on person yet.

What’s currently the cheapest price one of these can be had for?

It’s being discontinued, so it’s end of life at Mouser and DigiKey.

Hmm any round replacements in the works?

Well, there’s the CBT-140 but that’s bigger and much more expensive.
Here’s hoping someone comes out with a budget circular led before too long.

Kaidomain has them for $46.70.

For an aspheric it's an ok led. Nice round beam, but for a reflector light, I would still go with more lumens at less amps and a much lower cost. I didn't really care for the one I used, except for the round beam in an aspheric. Other than that, it was way too cool while bordering on purple. They really have no dome on them either, just a thin layer of protection over the die.

Which bin was that, the one from kaidomain?

Doesnt really look much better to me than an MT-G2 they have some PO Bins on Kadomain hitting 2010-2116 lumens for 10 dollars…… Neutral white

seems a lot more money just for a round circle rather than a hexagon i think for that price id sooner have SBT-90 gen 2

All though :person_facepalming: damit now i want one

his MT-G2 is no where near focused correctly or dedomed

I tried my best… just buy it

The circular die SBT-70 has been discontinued by Luminus for quite some time now, they are difficult to find. I have used a lot of them and like them a lot even if they aren’t very efficient. Wish Luminus would bring them back, maybe a gen 2 that is more efficient? Either way I’d buy em…

SBT-70 Round that’s one pricey emitter

Cheap compared to some others… all in all it offered things others did not and I love it’s architecture.