Luminus SST-40, a N4 BA bin tested

I wanted to swap out some of the old XML2 for a light fixture and thought a SST40 would fit. I wonder if it has the same hue shift as XML in this thread?

Not as much

Thank you!

Unless you have convincing evidence otherwise, I must disagree. The SST40 is also a domed emitter and from most photos I've seen, the amount of angular tint shift is comparable to XML2. It is more likely to be green than XM-L2, too, and when it gets green it can be VERY green. See this thread for how green it can be!

If you want no angular tint shift, you really need a domeless or dedomed emitter.

sst40 has less angular tint shift than xml2. You want to dispute it?
I have enough experience with sst40 and xml2. Nothing can compare with cree rainbow.
Green or very green can be any emitter.
It is obvious that ideally one should use domeless led.

G3s (and whichever XHPs are made up of quad G3s) are among the worst I’ve EVER seen. Even as a mule, they’re downright hideous, and just shining it near a white wall has the hideous green/yellow/white bullseye pattern.

That said, just as with all my LuxPro lights that came with G3s, a slathering of diffusion film evens out the light pretty nicely. I turned all mine into very floody area lights.

Also, I got one of those LED stick-lights that replaces T-whatever fluorescent tubes, and they had that annoying snot-green fringing, so I cut long strips of diffusion film and covered the length of that as well. Definite benefit is not having “echo shadows” anymore (ie, from dozens of point-sources) as well as way better color-mixing.

Seriously, diffusion film is like the push-up bra of the LED world.