Lux Meter recommendations

Well the cheapy meter from amazon turned up today so I took some quick readings be interested to hear if any of these match anyone else’s results or sound accurate?
I have to wait a while for the UT383 to arrive :-/

Convoy L6 totally stock 3.7Klux @ 5m 92kcd

C8+ 5a convoy driver Cslnm1.tg 6.7Klux @ 5m 167kcd

Crelant V6CS stock driver Cslnm1.tg 9.8Klux @ 5m 246kcd

Jax Z1 7a Manta ray driver CSLPM1.TG 13.7Klux @ 5m 342kcd

L21A 7a Mana ray driver CSLPM1.tg 15.5Klux @ 5m 387Kcd

L21A 14x7135 Culsnm1.tg 17.6Klux @ 5m 440Kcd

L2 P400 driver Culsnm1.tg 18.2Klux @ 5m 455kcd

Crelant 7g5cs stock driver Cslnm1.tg 20klux @ 5m 500kcd

Crelant 7g5cs P400 driver Culsnm1.tg 24Klux @ 5m 600kcd

You have built up an impressive line-up of throwers in short time :open_mouth: .

I can only really judge the C8+ with 1mm2 White Flat, 167kcd sounds low-ish, I would expext it to go a little over 200kcd. Can be either the luxmeter or an imperfect focus job :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

Edit: perhaps I was a bit too optimistic about the White Flat, if I calculate my LS D80-WhiteFlat performance towards the C8 reflector size, I land pretty close to your 167kcd.
I still have a C8 with dedomed XP-G2 S4 2B that does 170kcd and I reckoned that the White Flat should outperform it, but maybe simply not.

Think this meter maybe a Liar, I just retested a few of them and got totally different readings

This time 21Klux for the L2 & L21A 1mm white
and 17.5Klux for the L21A with 2mm white :neutral_face:

Exactly the same measured distance, weird, maybe i didnt have the meter sat totally flat against the wall or something i don’t know why the readings would be so different?

Were your batteries at the same exact charge level, i.e. right off the charger?

Same batteries, have not touched any of these since testing the other day… i was going to see if i could improve the focus as per Djozz suggestion so i thought id check the readings first before i fiddled…

all 3 tested 2-3klux higher. so now im not sure which reading is correct or if this meter is just a p.o.s

Your L21a with 1mm white flat and manta ray driver should do more ( i have exactly the same combo)
I measure 550 kCd + on not even a fully charger cell.

Might be centering and focusing though.

Different readings are common, but deviation shouldnt be much.

ah, i dont have the mataray driver in the 1mm L21a its the 14×7135 5amp and that is running with the 4040 footprint Culsnm1.tg (i have a 6amp driver on order for it)

I tested again this morning and got 17.1klux @ 5meters 427kcd
last night i got 21klux 525kcd and my first test was 17.6Klux @ 5m 440Kcd

that’s 3 different readings for exactly the same torch & battery & distance i think this meter appears to be junk il wait for the Uni-T UT383s to arrive

Interesting, i have the 14x 7135 as well, thought it was a manta ray driver.
I have the same luxmeter (383s)

Interested seeing your results when your new meter arrives, we have the exact same components then

Edit, no we don’t i have the 3030 :person_facepalming:

I have a 3030 i can drop in there to compare results :slight_smile:

I believe at 5 amps the 3030 is brighter than the 4040 because the 3030 has a higher bin , i think the 4040 only outshines when you get it up to 6amps have to ask djozz if i am correct

What cheapy luxmeter did you buy, TFC? I missed that.

it is the URCERI

I see, well there’s not much to say about that one, it has the limited manual with the same specifications that all cheap luxmeters have, so without an actual direct performance comparison with a high-end meter and/or spectral response recording to prove otherwise, I predict that it makes considerable accuracy errors for the cool tints.

But usually even cheap luxmeters are consistent in their own measurements, and it seems that this one does not do that :frowning:

that seems to be the main issue , i could accept that it might not be 100% accurate on its reading , but the reading should be at least repeatable I have no way of knowing if a mod has actually made an improvement or if the meter is just feeling extra generous today 100Kcd deviation is just ridiculous

With regard to my earlier post would i be correct in saying that if you are limited to 5amps Cslnm1 would be brighter than Culsn1 based on the the flux bins ?

Flux bin : 6N (315-355lm@1000mA) cslnm1.tg
Flux bin : 5Q (710-800lm@3000mA) culnm1.tg

I had hoped to test this theory , but pretty pointless with this meter.

I do have a question that I have seen on CPF….
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?94232-Light-Meter-Benchmark-Testing-�-CPF-style
Can we use a flashlight that has been tested by someone with good equipment and pass it around to test our light meters and lumen tubes and anything necessary to give error values for correction to our readings. I have a light with white, red, and green interchangeable pills that was a Xmas present $180.00 US 3yrs ago that I can donate as long as it is returned eventually. This is the company Preditor Tactics and the light is a Night Raider. The light is only a single mode and single 18650. The design has changed and its at work so no pics till next week.
Just an idea to start so any and every suggestion is welcome.
flashlight….Night Raid Hunting Lights - Coyote Light | Predator Tactics

That idea is good, but this may be better even: WTS: Calibration lights for DIY integrating spheres / lumen tubes - 67 € - , maukka sells calibration lights that are corrected to a calibrated source. You can buy them from him, or ask around if anyone in your area has bought them and could lend it to you.

WOW !!, Thank You :+1:
I just PM “maukka” to order his lights.

Did another test tonight with the L21a with the CSLNM1.TG 1mm and 14x7135 with a fully charged 40T, measured 5555 Lx at 10m with the UNI-T 383s

That’s a pretty decent result 555Kcd!!, i spent most of the day trying to get more out of my C8+ and M21A but i cant verify anything or give any figures , i tried testing again and again and got readings ranging from 150kcd upto 245kcd this meter really is absolutely rubbish going to send it back

I do really like the L21A host it has massive potential, what gasket did you use?

One of Simons 3030 gaskets, sanded down to a paperthin gasket

Ah ok, do you have any photos of the hotspot? when i tried going that thin i seemed to get like secondary rings around the hotspot instead of a single clean beam? also when i went that thin the base of the reflector wouldnt seem to go low enough into the host to press the gasket firmly against the DTP surface

just wondering how you resolved these? don’t suppose you are able to measure your gasket thickness like with a vernier or something?