Luxeon TX-another "killer"(XP-G2 and nichia 219 competitor)

Great, eager to see some test results!

hi - so with the new zebralight sc62d, would the luxeon be more efficient than say a Nichia 219 in it?.

this light would be used around the home mostly on long runtimes.
thanks.

I would love to see a Zebralight with Nichia 219 or Nichia 219b emitter, or this Luxeon TX, all at ~90 CRI and 4500K to 5000K. Whether this actually happens, though, … well, I’m not holding my breath.

…you never know.

btw, will Luxeon T @5000k look more pure whiter than Nichia 219?.

thanks,

BUMP.
anyone?.
thanks.

Nichia 219 is a generic term, you mean the high cri one that is being sold at IS, or a 5000K Nichia 219?

hello - thanks, I mean the HCRI @IS vs the Luxeon T 5000k which will be in the new ZL sc62d.
just wondered which one would come out purer white.
i heard that the new N219B is just pure white, no pinky, and a HCRI of 92+, but as the Luxeon T will be in the ZL, i might have to accept that white.

ooops, and thanks.

I do not know the Luxeon T 5000K but the Nichia High CRI Typical 92 (85+) and is not a pure white tint, it's a 4200K to 4700K neutral white. If you compare it to all kind of 3000-2700K LED from CREE (90+ CRI) it's white but not compared to 5500K.

@zebrastripes was referring to the new 219B that it’s no longer pinkish.

One guy from cpf has two lights with both high CRI Nichia 219 and Luxeon Rebel 5000K, 85 CRI (T’s and TX’s close cousin) and his impressions are not positive:

Nichi 219 B10 produces 100-110lm@350mA. 5000K, 80 CRI Luxeon T does 120lm@350mA so it’s slightly brighter but we still don’t know what bin and emitter will they use in SC62d.

The XP-G seems to have a huge Vf comapred to Match's data 3.72V vs 3.30V at 3000mA. I see djozz's data is somewhere around 3.55V at 300mA. Why is Match's Vf so low?

Nichia is rated at 25C,luxeon 85C.

Thanks for posting this. Ever since I got a Nichia 219 light, I’ve been really tempted to retrofit my other lights with the same emitter, or buy new high-CRI versions of my lights. But now I don’t feel so bad about not getting a ‘d’ tinted Zebralight. It sounds like there’s really not much point if it’s “nowhere near the quality of the Nichia light”.

I’m spoiled by my L3 L10-219. Everything else looks weird now.

this is what I am wondering now, shall I go on for the sc62d with the seemingly outdated Lux T emitter (new XT out now), or just find something 219?..
oh I wish ZL did Nichia 219!!!.

i need to sleep on this, without sleeping!.
lol.

thanks .

Anyone find these being shipped yet? I see digikey lists them, but they show none on hand.

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?vendor=0&keywords=L1T2-5085

I’m not sure if this is still the case, but for several years most of ZL’s lights had kind of a greenish tint. At first I thought this was due to hand-picking the individual emitters so they’d be a specific shade, or because they were sourcing a very specific bin for their tints. But after some recent experiences with other greenish lights, I now strongly suspect the green may have been caused by the anti-reflective coating on the lenses.

If that’s the case, it would explain why everything looked green, and it would explain why people reported that the high-CRI Zebralights didn’t really look as nice as a Nichia 219 light. The LED may have been high-CRI, but perhaps the lens interfered and dropped the CRI back down to an average level. It would also mean there’s no point getting a high-CRI Zebralight instead of just a neutral white one.

However, their recent models (since the end of 2013 or so) don’t seem to have the green tint any more. Maybe they fixed their lens so it doesn’t have so much AR coating? And perhaps their high-CRI products now make more sense?

In any case, I don’t have any way to confirm the issue or the fix, but it would at least explain all the reports I’ve read about green beams and lackluster high-CRI products, and why the H52* beam tints look so much nicer than the products they made for a couple years before that.