Maglite ML25LT - rarity short review

It definitely is not coming on in high first, every time. Maybe half the time. Guess I got a weird one. Fine with me, I guess, since high is a bit…high.

Bad connection… Dirty threads… Bad switch…

I guess there could be some switch bounce that knocks it out of high but it doesn’t seem to blink at all. Stable output at each setting. (and there really are three distinct modes, by the ammeter, if not easily seen on the wall)
Messed up firmware, if anything. I’m happy with it, just good to know there’s something messed up about it rather than me not being able to figure out some trick. If it dies, the ML warranty is pretty good.

Have you lubed the threads? Mags usually come fairly dry from the factory and may snag a little. Also check that the tail cap spring is snapped in place properly and that all of the bare metal contacts are cleaned and lubed. And of course check your batteries tp make sure they are good.

I’ve checked all that, it’s just the driver. I ordered a 3 C-Cell one along with a 2C ML50LX in foliage green, and warm white 2xAA, so it’ll be interesting to see if that one behaves as it should. I actually prefer the way the 2C is working. High overheats the LED pretty badly, and the 250mA mode is both bright enough, easy on the LED, and would work with alkalines in AA-to-C adapters. Unless it’s going to die from some driver fault, I like it this way.
Thanks for the help!

Mode confusion kills it for me. Long gone are the days of reliable, one-mode Mags, apparently.

I like two or three modes, though it is easier with the ones with a button so you can click right to what you want. The 2C is just a keep-in-the-kitchen kind of light so most of the time it doesn’t matter what it starts at. Not like we’re talking a 1000lm pocket-roaster that’ll blind you if it comes on hi when you don’t expect.

I’m sure Mag would replace it if I asked. Bought direct from them so I’m sure I’d have to send it back and it’s not worth the trouble for $16 (20% coupon at the time). Amazon might just replace it with no hassle.