Maglite - No Respect?

Thank you for finally weighing in, Old-Friend.

I couldn't agree more. Nothing to add - you said it all.

Dave

Two brands with very strong value because of consistent design since coming to market - Porsche and Maglite

According to http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?331482-What-LEDs-are-Maglite-using-now-(2012) (I'm using cache since CPF is having database issues again), it probably is an XP-G.

In any case based on the specs and price, the mini Mag lites are interesting. I don't think I'll buy one, they'll cost too much in NZ and I suspect there won't be anyone shipping them cheaply like from China/HK. But given their price they should hopefully increase competition in the 2xAA market and drop prices with the other higher end brand 2xAA torches like the Klarus P2A and JetBeam BA20. Although I already bought my BA20 with a good price from DD hopefully arriving sometime next week.

Mag-Lites are like Harley-Davidsons; others are faster, etc. but a Harley never stops being cool and will always be cool.

I poke fun at Mags sometimes but I love them just the same. I have a pre-C (no "C" in the serial number) 2C made in the early '90s, new in the box that feels so good in the hand and I love looking at it. My guess is, most of us here are quite fond of Mags but their un-modded performance keeps them on the self.

lovesmagsFoy

Can't argue with that. By the way Foy - the O-L Mag you just got is one stunning light. I'm a fan of Gun Metal and that is by far the most beautiful Maglite I have every laid my eyes on.

And just a little off topic. Just finished lubing and heat sinking my first two Solarforce lights - a black L2P and a grey L2. While the L2 is obviously no match in quality, it is a damn good looking light. Thanks for all your wonderful photography of your SF collection, it was a big part of me finally breaking down and trying these. I am very pleased.

Glad you like them. Did you wrap them or . . .

Foy

Copper wrap, 40 guage from Hobby Lobby cut into 1/2" strips, held in place with a few dabs of Ceramique. I read troop's thread on heatsinking with interest, but I'm new to this and enjoyed the wrapping and fitting process. The L2P beam performance is almost exactly the same as my M6. Very nice.

I’ve never owned a Maglite. They just seem bulky to me. Especially anything more than 2C or 2D. A 6D Mag just look ridiculous IMO :slight_smile:
There are some things about them I can appreciate. A 2D black Mag isn’t bad looking. It has a side switch and smooth features (head in particular). It’s nice to see something plain and functional rather than the blinky, crenelated, pointy style so popular at the moment. I like a flashlight where the word “tactical” doesn’t come up.
I get that they are easy to mod. People use a cut off head as a head for cannister type dive lights. I get that.
Otherwise trying to mod a 2D light to use multiple AA’s or AAA’s or using only one 18650 and then using dummy cells or spacers doesn’t make much sense to me. It results in a light bigger than it needs to be or one that uses more batteries than it needs to use.
Surefire might be the Harley of the flashlight world but I don’t think it’s Maglite :slight_smile: Maglite is the Ford of the flashlight world.

That's why if you mod one to use a single cell you would usually cut down the body, not run dummy cells. That just defeats the purpose.

People customize a Harley - bob it, chop it, bag it, chrome it, paint it, soup it...you get the idea. They do the same with Mags and that's what makes it the H-D of the flashlight world. Each is truly unique when customized.

A Surefire is the Ford of flashlights...they all look the same, there isn't much you can do externally, and everyone's looks just like the next guys. Surefires are vanilla and like vanilla yogurt, they taste like crap to me.