Magnesium flashlights?

Thanks for the pointer to the LG Gram notebook.
Interesting to see LG taking over Apple in the field of material innovation for notebook construction.

I think there might be a trend here of producers starting to use magnesium-alloy constructions for light-weight electronic/consumer devices because of the more premium look and feel (and lower weight) when compared to objects made of aluminum.

Magnesium is an epically stupid choice for flashlights. Period. End of story.

^ Well I guess you’re not into cool white then… :smiley:

No they don’t. It’s just something different they can crow about.

It’s not the first or the last time manufacturers put sales ahead of safety.

I rather be alive then cool white….on my way to crispy brown.

Do you have any idea what products are made from magnesium? It’s not going to go up in flames as easily as in the video you have posted.

In my business we used molds. I experimented with every aluminum, steel, copper and titanium alloy.

We thought about magnesium properties……but it landed up as a joke because no insurance would cover us and no machining company would touch it.

If a calrod shorted, it would set off an unstoppable fire. The sample we got had a warning sign….EXTREME CAUTION.

But hey, lets make a flaslight out of it so if the battery ingites, we can have an unstoppable fire.

Brilliant.

pure magnesium =! magnesium alloy

No really innovative…Lenovo/IBM ThinkPad series had it long before.

Yes i do. Probably a millon times more then you.

I actually looked at the product for manufacturing. Everyone, i mean everyone who supplied, used or worked with it was concerned.

Sounds like Magnesium Alloy can be made less combustible so is moderately safe for flashlight construction.

Then the question comes down to cost. If it’s going to cost $50 for an aluminum EDC light and $250 for the same light in Magnesium alloy… I think I’ll stick with aluminum.

Looks like magnesium was not a good choice for your product. What exactly is your business and what were you trying to make?

Thanks for pointing that out. The ThinkPads have the magnesium chassis on the inside though.
It seems they used the AZ91D alloy.
I guess IBM/Lenovo managed the (perceived) fire risk in combination with the lithium-ion batteries.

Shouldn’t cost a lot more, especially since a laptop manufacturer like LG would have much more risk using it compared to a flashlight, but everything went well so far with their LG Gram line.