making fun of people who like flashlights?

By that time he should realized its nothing to make fun of … :stuck_out_tongue:

True. But i havent been in a situation like that yet. :confused:

True… True… :slight_smile:
I guess im not an Flashaholic (Yet), and im not sure that i ever going to be. I really like flashlights, but i think that i shouldnt have more than i use, you know?
Like having 100 flashlights in my oppinion is very uneccesary, unless youre an Collecter, than i understand.

Im not sure how to tackle these flying comments that i get. I feel dorky if i would say something like “I hate darkness, and thats why i love things that will light up the darkness”
Proof that i hate Darkness? This is my car, i have other lights now, 3 only, but the light up as good as these did.

I had 55w Xenon in every light. Now i got 3x55w Xenon :slight_smile:

http://imageshack.us/a/img696/5591/dsc0060nr.jpg

Hehe :slight_smile: Yeees, yees its very easy to slip away. I mean to buy and buy things, especially when it comes to EDC things like Knives, Torces and so on. I only own a Bear Grylls Gerber knife now, its a great allround knife. But i do want something a little better.

Do you feel a little proud when they ask you if the can borrow your torch? I think i would, just a little bit.

Sooner or later it will :slight_smile:

I’ve been called Gadget at work, I’ve been called Flasher, SunShine, LiteBright, and asked if I was a Moth in a past life, oh and I’ve been told I need a utility belt like batman :wink:
You eventually get thick skin, my wife stopped bugging me this year (we have been together 11 years) now that she finds uses.
I find people bug me when in groups but ask where I get my flashlights when in private.
I carry spare keychain lights for when I see kids. My godson and god daughter are up to 7 flashlights each (three are from me)

I like flashlights and I’m glad because there much cheaper than Quading and Snowmobiling. Handy at work, home and when I’m out. I never leave the house without at least four light sources and a Leatherman.

My name is Kendall and I’m a flashaholic :wink:

My wifes hobby is Antique candy dishes. Do you have any idea of how much those things can cost?! She doesnt give me much grief about my light hobby.

hi kendall. welcome to the group. :slight_smile:

I have childhood friend who now lives far away and in a telephone conversation he told me he collected “shot glasses”.

This was before I got into torches…At first I was freakin’….but now I understand> :wink:

I sent him an engraved shot glass from the “Hard Rock Cafe in Las Vegas”. He totaly flipped out and thanked me. Has over a thousand in his man-cave at last count.

Yeh, I understand… :wink:

A couple of my friends were mildly amused, then they hit the magic button, next thing out of their mouths is an admission they’ve always liked a bright light, usually followed by “how much…” :bigsmile:

Thanks Kevin :slight_smile:

I play it down a fair bit and keep it to myself, I don’t EDC any but I keep one in my car and I am never far away from it anyway in case I really need it. I only keep 3-4 at a time but have owned over 40 in the last year looking for what suits me and giving away or selling the ones that get replaced

My girlfriend doesn’t mind and never says anything, some of my family poked a bit of fun at me when I first started getting in to it but soon started asking about them and had me giving them advice and ordering for them.

But one time I was talking to a friend on my messenger and sent her a link to a joke on here, she said something like “a flashlight forum? LOL” and then after seeing someone’s flashlights in their forum signature she says “OMG people collect flashlights? HAHA”

I found it quite funny at first that she found it that funny and showed her some pictures of people with collections with shelves or cabinets full of them, then it was “what the hell is wrong with these people?”, “they must have mental problems”, “I bet none of them have girlfriends” and “OMG thats soooo creepy” etc. She was pretty weirded out by it.

I see where she is coming from but its not as bad as she is making it out to be, just the other day in another thread we were talking about the difference between hoarding and collecting, usually collectable items will increase in value and its the reason for collecting something where as flashlights lose value straight away and then even more so once your brand new flashligh is using a obsolete LED that no one wants only a few months later.

You just need to think about collections or hobbies that other people have that you find weird, and thats what the average person will think of the flashlight hobby/collection.

I was trying to think of something to use as a example like sticks or empty shampoo bottles but they don’t really serve a purpose, but maybe something like computer keyboards, if you know someone that has 100 different keyboards, his house is full of them, he has displays on the walls, cupboards, draws, laying around everywhere and spends all day on forums and talking about keystrokes and the clicky sounds they make when you type and wont stop talking about the 2 new ones he ordered online for China and how awesome they will feel on the finger tips and he might get an extra word per minute because its so friggin awesome…

Or… a collection of 100s hand held mixers/beaters, or vacuum cleaners, a display full of electric toothbrushes and spending 100s a week on them?

I could think of a lot more but thats what people see and just think why? You only need 1 toothbrush, you only need 1 mixer, you only need 1 vacuum etc.

Been there LOL.

I have been called a nerd by my co-workers.

But that all stopped early one morning at 5:30 am when some one was trying to start a diesel generator in the dark using dead 2 aa mag-lite. I lit up the control panel from 100 feet away with my new Small Sun ZY-T13. My buddy said “let me see that hand photon cannon you have”

After looking it over he said “must be nice to blow $200 on a light” he just about fell over when I told him it was less than $30

He orderd one as soon as we were back inside.

My wife does not mind too much, she understands I have a lot of hobbies, Aviation, Ham Radio, Diesel Engines/Generators, Camping…….

Besides nerds are better in ummm :wink: well you get the point LOL

I just tell people its a hell of a lot cheaper than my other hobbies: guns, computers, watches, video gaming, and home theater.

And as always:

I also collect books, always have. Can't stand to get rid of one and I've been known to re-read ones I love several times (I've read the Harry Potter series 3 times, same for Lord of the Rings).

And I collect Hallmark Christmas ornaments: Full sets of Classic pickup trucks and small planes, even though I don't own a real pickup or fly planes. Finally, I'm not that into jewelry, but I have a dozen or so silver rings that I rotate daily and I'm always on the lookout for a new one.

Collecting is fun and harmless. Life would be pretty dull if we spent our time worrying about what other people thought about our weird little habits.

In the beginning people used to say “Wwwhhhaaattt” followed by teasing or head shaking.
But after I compare my lights to their trusty old Mags it turn’s to “Whoa”
After that, quite a bit of my friends/relatives shelved their lights and switched over.
Now a lot of them look forward to seeing the latest thing I got.
My favorite time is when I walk around the neighborhood during a blackout.
I meet a lot of new neighbors during that time when they approach me and ask.
I actually wish the power doesn’t come back on till sunrise. LOL

Yep, I have gotten many a raised eyebrow, from family and coworkers, over the years about my flashlight and battery interest. It took me couple of years to realize that few people are interested in the valuable information I have to share, but they always know where a flashlight(or pocket knife) is available if one is needed.

I have laid low lately, and have had my flashlight rotation and lineup sorted out for a couple of years now. Adding one and removing one from the line up from time to time.

I showed up at our annual Christmas get together with a whole bag of Sipik SK68 clones two days ago and handed out about twenty five of them. They were a big hit. There were several generations of fnsooners present and I think I was able to identify a couple of them who may have the flashaholic gene embedded in their DNA.

You can’t keep a good flashaholic down.

Never worked for me… females have a built-in hate for male hobbies. You’ll find out… wait’ll menopause comes.

Rich

lol, yes

+1 - Oh, I love this one....

Everyday my wife makes fun of me, sometimes for flashlights.

The mockers can be loud or quiet. But it’s the quiet ones that I like to observe. One day, I was at a car wash where the guy also jet sprays the engine of grime and he just couldn’t see the hidden corners to get at it. His incan could barely light up the compartment until I whipped out my single cell pocket rocket! You could see his silent perked interest and he asked to borrow my light to finish the job. I’m very sure that he was promptly shopping for an LED light after that! :money_mouth_face: