Manker developed a Zoom with NO MOVING PARTS (updated info)

Well lenses does not necessarily have to project clear die projection. With combination of different kind of precoolimator lenses/diffusers, different distance from emitter you can get different shapes of beam but that usually means sacrificing of lux performance. We had such lights before(but with manually zooming mechanism)… Forgot model name but they had circular beam for the guys who thinks that nice old square die projection sucks :slight_smile: , so they were apparently happier with lower lux performance lights but the most important it has circular beam :smiley:

“Manker’s tech has supposedly better light collection efficiency than a simple lens (from M4D M4X description)” Well from mine personal experience of just watching attached video i would not say it has better efficiency than single moving lens system…

I personally did zoomie flashlights out of camera lenses which in fact are multiple aspherical lens systems, and while beam looked great performance vise they were always beaten by single aspherical system. They are only good as IR host.

We will follow this thread and see :wink:

I doubt they are using something exotic or groundbreaking. Probably something has been lost in translation. I expect there will be a “catch” and the truth will be less exciting than the promise. But I would love to be wrong.

This seems likely also.
All the Best,
Jeff

IMO in the video the beam looks like a normal TIR or maybe reflector beam, then it becomes more and more diffused, so I don’t think this any sort of variable collimation optic mechanism, but an electronically controlled diffusing material.

Sounds like the most plausible design if there are no moving parts.

A COB or multi-die LED than can have it’s dies individually controlled can pass as single LED. I mean you call XHP70 an LED, even if it has literally 4 emitters, and the are individually controllable dies in certain LEDs, or you can do that yourself deliberately by adding more LEDs juxtaposed.

Then they said “the technique will work with Osram W1 LEDs (used in the prototype shown below) ” that means they are trying suggesting 1 LED, but does that really exclude other LEDs? None the LEDs it kind sound like it is not a COB or a multi-die LED.

Also to have no change in “size” as they call it, can easily be obtained if a movement is short internally, like many top zoom lenses to not change outside length when changing focal length, thus retaining a better protection against dust or moisture.

None the less you can always make such a video and have people guess what it supposedly is and actually deliver the ideas to them how to do it, reverse psychology. :smiley:

On a different note, what do you guys think about lens systems that allow the adjustment of focal length by tuning the axial angle between two lenses, such as Variable Focus Moire Lenses , and this TIR lens product .

The inner lens can be integrated with the flashlight body, while the outer lens can be attached to the body from the outside. This way the main body remains water tight, and any liquid getting in between the lenses can be cleaned by detaching the outer lens.

ookay

i was allowed to update this next piece of the puzzle ;)

* SINGLE LED (no COB / no multiple LEDs etc)
* NO moving parts
* using a TIR Lens (some got that right already)

So the thing between the TIR and glass is probably an electronically controlled diffuser, as long as it’s not too expensive and has decently high transmittance then it’s a good solution.

When you say NO moving parts, does rotation count as moving?

rotating is moving ;)

This is a really strange TIR optics, isn’t it?

No, it’s not. Quite regular. Though small for the head size, the part (diffuser?) in front of it probably has a small aperture.
ADDED:
According to rough measurements, the TIR has ~73% diameter of the front lens. Which means it gets ~54% frontal area. And ~54% throw intensity of a similar TIR light of the same head size. Minus losses.

Not the best thrower out there.

BTW, a suggestion to Manker:
ditch these buttons. They make zoom action very slow. Zooming to any position should be a single hand movement that takes a split second.

Overall I’d love to borrow one and play with it but I probably wouldn’t buy one - because I doubt I’ll like the flood beam (I expect mule-like) and I’m not sure if I’d like the intermediate one.

But it’s not rotationally symmetrical. What am I missing?

The lens probably has 3 legs and the cutout shows one.

So it is TIR and its cup shown as solid part? Sorry for being a penetrative :smiley: .

Not sure what you mean, but it seems to be a similar TIR as in the Acebeam E10.

I was under the impression a TIR lense should be an elliptic paraboloid, but I know nothing about it.

This is my guess too.

The picture clearly shows a thick piece of glass or other material between the TIR and the lens. If this light is using a single-emitter and nothing is moving, the most logical assumption is that thick thing is an electronically controlled diffuser. Unless that thick thing contains an electronically controlled liquid lens which seems unlikely due to cost and size reasons.

Overall, I’m intrigued by the design. This could be a great solution if the price isn’t too high. :sunglasses:

Reserved/subscribed