MF01 Mini / MT07- Mod/Upgrade - Copper Heatsink Cover Plate

Nice! yea brass definitely better then plastic! and copper seems to be King!

It is interesting however that they did not have a insulating sticker to prevent a possible short?

That's why I was wondering what's under the plate also.

HELP - I have a question, that ay have been answered in this post or somewhere else -

Does this plate fit in the FT03? I was looking into my ft03 recently and thought they look similar?

If it does fit in the FT03, then : Gchart, i will take one definitely.

Thanks.

I don’t have an FT03 to measure / check. Looking at images online and I’m leaning toward “no”. Hopefully someone else can chime in definitively.

The FT03 is a completely different design layout wise.

+1

This heat sink plate is designed to address a very specific driver design shortcoming and configuration. Unless the FT03 uses the exact same driver it is very unlikely to fit and work as expected.

Ok, thank you guys. It just looked similar. I appreciate the help

Here is the FT03 driver. You maybe could epoxy a piece of copper in the blue highlighted area.

You can see it is a completely different layout.

I ordered a black one, I hope it will also be copper or brass.

Wow, thank you for that! So i recently took my mcbcp out of my FT03 xhp50 and dedomed it. WOW. CCT (?) went from the claimed “6000-6500k” to maybe 4500k. I wasn’t expecting that but REALLY like it. apparent lumens have dipped a little (no test just visual observation) but the throw is just amazing. thinking about doing my fw21 pro now.

Anyway… In your picture, is the opposite side of the driver where you highlighted blue the shelf the mcbcp sits on? could copper go between the shelf and mcbcp? for better heat sinking? Im thinking for my new FT03s coming in. thanks again

Just got my MF01 mini today, copper/aluminum xpl-hi. The heatsink is there and it’s brass. For what I paid ($50 delivered) I’m really impressed. Definitely going to be a favorite.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the reason the MF01 mini needs the heatsink is that one of the 7135 chips or the FET is too close to the microcontroller and causes it to read the temperature as too high. The Ft03 doesn’t have that design issue so would not benefit from the heatsink. Would there be any other reason to add a heatsink to the FT03?

And yes, slicing the dome on the xhp50.2 in the ft03 is totally worth it, mine had a much brighter hotspot afterward.

Agreed about the hotspot. Did you notice a big color(cct?) drop. I feel mine went from 6000k to 4500… I like it and prefer it that way. also, about the ft03- I heard the ft03s (I have it coming in) steps down rather quickly and just assumed more copper in the business end would help the whole setup. Just assumption…

I think the reason the FT03S throttles down so quickly is that the led is running really hot and the light heats up really quickly. Also I don’t think anduril is optimized for the light. I think a lot of these lights would benefit from having a sample light sent to toykeeper so she can optimize the algorithm but the manufacturers dont seem to want to make the time investment. They want to slap a light together and sell it. At least Mateminco seems to be willing to make changes based on user feedback.

As for the CCT drop from dedoming I think it did drop but I haven’t done a side by side comparison so I cant say how much. I have two more incoming for a friend so maybe I’ll do that when they get here.

The driver sits in a little cavity in the head.

The mcpcb sits on a shelf that is part of the head so that it can transfer heat quickly.

It is very similar to this cutaway.

In fact, most led flashlights use this basic design with the mcpcb sitting on a machined shelf and then the driver fitting in a cavity underneath it. This allows good heat transfer from the led.

Is it still possible to get one? I would be interested.

Sure, I’ll get you added to the list.

Update time! The heatsink plates arrived yesterday, much earlier than expected. Visual inspection looks good. Doing a side-by-side comparison with the heatsink I have from man of light, they are pretty much indistinguishable from each other. I ran several tests with the plastic plate in place, then replaced it with one of the new ones I just received. I used the stickers I got from man of light because the stickers I ordered have not arrived yet. A light coating of Arctic MX-4 was used.

My flashlight is the Mateminco MT07 (aka Astrolux MF01 Mini) with 5000K SST-20 LEDs. All of these tests were performed with the Shockli black 5500 mAh cell. Temperature calibration has been done. Stepped mode levels and top-of-ramp are stock settings. Thermal limit was set to 60°C. Ambient temperature was around 21°C.

“man of light” original on the left, new ones on the right

These observations pretty much match the OP. You can see that heat shedding and sustained output is much better.

Nice work, well done gchart :+1:
Thanks for organizing this batch and making this heatsinks available for the community again.

Regarding the isolation stickers, alternatively it is possible to cut out them yourself from PVC adhesive film or some similar material.
I just wanted to save people from doing this work themselves, so I was sending it in sets.

This sort of makes me want one of these lights again.