Micro Heli

Currently looking into it - Issue is weight sensitivity , at 32g flying weight , any extra is going to hurt performance ..

I have new batteries on order , and have been looking into increased capacity .. There is a 300mAh battery I like the look of [ 120mAh / 130mAh stock batteries ] and it will only add about 3.5g depending on how the heli is moded ,,,

I like how the V911 flies and a 300mAh battery would be choice ... [ so looks like a future mod ]

Also plan to build a Micro DLG [ Discus Launch Glider ] , 750mm span .. Right after I build a Mini DLG , 1 meter span .

I just bought the Syma S107G on JohnnyMac's reccommendation(thanks) and have been checking out various upgrades. Seems as though some people have swapped the 150mAh Lipo with 200-240mAh packs with good success. I'm such a kid! How do I explain this purchase to my wife! I'll just buy her a new house and we'll call it even.

Shaving weight from chassis and body, putting on larger tail rotor, adding weight to nose, larger battery, and lightening the stabilizer bar for faster handling. Cosmetic improvements include changing or adding LEDs, and vacuum forming lighter bodies.

I'm tempted to try that picoo Z tail rotor mod on mine.

Supposedly if you have an old "Air Hog" laying about, it's tail rotor is larger and pushes more air than the stock rotor on the S107. Guys are switching them out and getting better forward and reverse momentum.

Some mod links to check out that I've bookmarked for myself...

http://www.symas107mods.org/

http://blog.rc-fever.com/2010/08/10/syma-s107-speed-mods/

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1227023

Flying true collective pitch helis (your 450) takes a fair bit of practice but your going to love the responsiveness compared to your micro! I just find the micros have too much electronic lag in the control system.

I STRONGLY recommend investing in a serious flight sim (real flight, reflex etc...) to learn new manoeuvres and to just reinforce your skills. Its much cheaper to be making your mistakes on the sim, but requires a very disciplined approach to your training. My first heli was a Trex 450 V2, and I'm still flying the same heli (with a couple more upgrades now :). Im learning slowly but safely, but regardless, its always Very very scary as the slightest mistake will get very destructive and expensive both in parts and time, and the heli can never be as good as it was before. The micro is ridiculously tough, surviving almost any "landing".

What 450 do you have? Looks pretty blingy!!

Good advice on the simulator. I used to have one that was pretty good (even though it was DOS based). Lot easier to try silly stuff such as low inverted passes when you don't have a fortune on the line. The one I had was pretty realistic control wise (easy to lose orientation sometimes).

I bet the RealFlight (and other modern programs) are pretty amazing.

I also remember we added dowel rods and wiffel balls to the skids to tame the gas choppers and give a wide stance until you were confident. I bet something like pixie sticks would help tame the small ones for learning.

I have a Trex 450 V2 clone Kit [ $35 ] . the one pictured ...

I also have a 450 Pro [ Carbon Body - alloy parts kit $50 or there abouts ]

And now a 3rd 450 V2 which is RTF [ ready to fly - complete combo ]

I might buy and re-sell , set them up - get them flight trimmed and sell them ready to fly . I went to a local hobby shop and asked about there cheapest 450 kit , they quoted me $180 for what looked like one of the eBay $35 kits ...

So I figure , why not , buy , set it up read to rock n roll and put my margin on it . Save some one a lot of head aches .

The two kits , both are waiting on parts , One was missing parts , the other the parts are not so great [ 2 links in the head ] , so Ive ordered more parts ..

But at $35 shipped , the entire kit is a bag of spare parts , so getting into 450's = Buy two , just head and tail combos go for $30 to $35 so why not just buy a 2nd heli

Looking forward to flying the 450's , which is why I went for the single rotor fixed pitch micro heli's , but a lot more setting up in a 450 .

I think Im past the sim , as the sim is not really realistic , helps you understand the controls , but as for simulating actual flight [ well the one I got wasnt so great ]

The micro heli's are better training aids , and from what I understand far less stable than a 450 [ single rotor fixed pitch ] , of course assuming the 450 is trimmed correctly , balanced and set up the right way , assuming !

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004A8ZRB0/

My Syma S107G arrived today. This thing is sooo easy to fly. It will definitely be a lot fun. If by chance I am interested in a more challenging/complex flight, what is the next logical choice in helicopter?