Minor deity seeking employment

I didn’t know about your job loss TK, so sorry to hear about it :cry:
Hopefully you find new employment soon, with your talents i suspect you will :beer:

Thanks! I’m still stuck in Asgard for a while though, so I can’t go to the Bay Area. If I do move though, the Portland area looks a bit nicer for me; it’s kind of like a smaller and easier San Francisco. As for Android/Java, I’ve kind of been avoiding both. I’m … picky. Paul Graham explains it in more detail.

It’s funny you use that particular metaphor; I’ve been describing my job search in a similar way. See, they say a rising tide raises all ships. However, a lot of societal effort is instead spent on building taller ships (even if it means breaking down other ships to use them for parts). I’m hoping to find tide-raising work instead of merely making someone’s ship taller.

Me either. Your observations are spot-on, and are likely one of the main reasons for the recent change in direction. Also because global politics lately suggest it’s a bad time to take risks, so companies are bracing for rough times. It’s looking similar to what happened ~16 years ago, only more widespread.

Depending on how things go, I might give the entire western world “the slip” for a while.

Nice!!! Maybe you should ask Ronald Jenkees if he has any job openings. :sunglasses:

Listening to TK’s The Slip while watching the GIF that Mike C posted above - Hilarious!

Haha, no. He seems* to write and perform music for a living. I just doodle sometimes when I’m bored.

I’m okay-ish at a whole lot of things but not particularly good at any of them. I’m also shy and don’t like being on camera, so I won’t be making it big on youtube any time soon. But I do enjoy my toys, and I like sharing what I make. Once in a while it makes an impact, but not usually.

* Had to look up who that was; somehow never ran into his videos before.

Went to school in Portland but it was way too wet for me. It’s also more prone to freezing rain than snow which makes for dangerous driving or walking. The sun barely clears the pines in winter and the city sits on the east slope of a ridge so night comes early. Beatiful view of Mt Hood but too good a view of Mt St Helens. Both just happen to be plug volcanoes fueled by tectonic movement. :wink:

TK, how about a product of your own?
And here’s a idea to get you started - I think the world is hungry for more personal clouds apps. Public cloud apps are awesome for accessibility, but people (and companies) are nervous about privacy. Bringing them to your home is the solution. To explain what I mean, lets take ownCloud for example. It is a real web service, but it’s downloaded and running in my home on a tiny board (similar to a streaming stick.) No data is sent out of the house unless I am away from home and want to. And SSL encryption protects me if I do.
So why not choose something everyone needs and create a TK product? Like a downloadable Google Docs, or Google Sheets app. You could sell licenses, or the future updates.

I may be out for a few days. It seems my dad did something he shouldn’t, and is in the hospital with coin-flip odds of seeing next week. So I’m heading out to be there. When it rains, it pours…

Sorry to hear TK. Stay safe and all the best to your father.

At least there’s nothing stopping you from spending time with your dad. Best wishes.

Sorry to hear this as well, if there is anything we can do let us know

Be safe TK & best wishes for your Dad. :+1:

A visit from you will brighten his day. :slight_smile:

Well, I’m here… but he’s not.

I may be around when I need a break from, uh, stuff, but don’t expect anything useful for a while.

Condolences, sad to hear. Hope you’ll get through the hard times.

Sorry for your loss TK. :frowning:
You & your family will be in my thoughts & prayers.

You were right, when it rains it pours. My condolences

Sad news, TK. Sorry for your loss. Remember we’re your friends. We’re here if you need anything.

Very sorry to hear that TK. Hang in there…