ML-101 v5.1 mod

Interesting, all of ML-101 that went trough my hands were from FT and they all terminated charging at 4.17-4.20 V

Are you sure that cell is not old(er) / with higher internal resistance ?

I bought them last year from fasttech ironically enough, and the 26650 came from intl outdoor and have a few dozen cycles on them

Nice mod!

I wish they would sell slider battery holders!

The TP4056 can do 1A (HKJ reviewed) but they get hot…I usually solder in a 2.2K resistor on RProg for 500~mA, the TP4056 isn’t reverse polarity protected…the TP4057 is, also the Xtar MC1 has TP4057 charger chips in them…

I have the V 6.0, they changed from V 6+ to micro USB only

You will notice most of the heat is at the beginning of a charge when the battery voltage is lowest. Needs to burn off the extra usb voltage.

The new version 7 ML-102 has a lot potential. It uses a switching li-ion charger chip, should produce much less heat and the 5v usb output boost converter could be capable of 2.1A. If the chips actually come close to what they claim it would make this v7 really great.

If it can charge to over 4.1V

Thanks for the suggestion. Rather than making a new terminal from copper I used part of the existing one plus a suitable spring. Sorry there are no photos but here is how I did it:

1. open case and unsolder negative terminal from circuit board.
  2. cut negative terminal across top with sidecutters.
  3. keep the back portion of the upright (bottom has the tab that solders into hole in circuit board). If necessary smooth cut edge with file or dremel.
  4. tin the battery facing side of the part from 3. Use flux. Tin the bottom part of your chosen spring.
  5. solder the part from 3 above back in its original position in the circuit board.
  6. put the assembly back together.
  7. solder spring onto neg. terminal - if necessary use a damp piece of cloth at base of upright so plastic does not melt.
  8. use dremel or knife to trim plastic near the upright terminal for a bit of extra movement.

I found that the part of the upright that faced the battery would not accept solder but the back part (rescued in 3 above) would.

The charger will now fit my aw protected cells and my Panasonic unprotected cells.

John