Modded: Small Sun ZY-T13 3.2 Amps or Sunwayman T40CS Clone

Yes, I think, you can find that info in topic called, “New lights from manafont” or something like that.
Viffer wrote about it.
This driver would be greeat with more current, I like it because it always starts at high.

Look here - Many Interesting Flashlights from MF (07/10/12)

I got mine today and I am very pleased with it’s performance. I think it’s a great light for $24.24!!! I just had it outside and compared it to my TrustFire X8 and the ZY-T13 smoked it. Then I got the Shadow TC 500 and they were very close and it took several looks to tell that the T13 was the winner over it but it won’t beat the T40CS……Overall I wish I would have bought this over the Shadow TC 500 which I paid $59.99

Mine came in today and I am disappointed in manafont,I asked that it was checked before shipping and I was intending to review it on BLF.They responded that extra Q.C. would be applied,but when it came it looked like it had been dropped a few times.Ironic because I never had a damaged item from them before.Enough blubbering from me,I do like the light and it's a medium power light with decent throw and for 24 bones,not a bad deal.This may get an overhaul soon.

Uh-oh, that doesn’t sound good mate. I’ve got one of these and some other stuff from Manafont being shipped at the moment with “extra Q.C.” requested as well … maybe they think Q.C. means “Quit Caring” or something??

I’d demand a partial refund if I were you, I don’t think anyone else has reported theirs being all banged up??

It would have looked bad on them for a review and I think mine was damaged pre-packing because the thing was triple bubble wrapped and double enveloped.I don't expect they will do much,might not be worth it.

You’re a good sport mate … I’ll see how my “extra Q.C.” shipment arrives, and post here if its in bad shape too.

Cheers

Thin line between a good sport and a dummy,lol.Good luck with yours,I also have another light on the way so we will see how it goes.cheers DARC

Good news guys! I found out how to increase the current to the led! Its a piece of cake to do! Read on!

I wanted to see how to increase the current to the led and decided to access the driver and play with the sense resistors a bit, took a picture of the sense resistors and noticed that they are R220

Another pic!

Not sure if both resistors are wired in parallel, It sure looks that way to me when lighting the circuit board from behind with a light to see the electrical paths. What do you think?

Anyway, I decided to mess with the outermost resistor and since I don’t want to be applying heat several times to solder and de-solder different resistors I just soldered a 24ga. silicon wire to each end.

Now I put a 500 ohm 30 turn trimpot at the other end and set it at 500 ohm and start turning while measuring the current with a voltmeter

When the trimpot reads between 0.80 ohm(less than 1 ohm) and 0.40 ohm the current to the led is 2.80 to 3.10 amp, it is much brighter now compared to the eagletac M3C4 XM-L,

Just for the heck of it I soldered both silicon wires together for no resistance and the driver read 4.8amp (or 9.6amp to the led) I only did this for a fraction of a second and the driver and led survived phew! Wont try that again!

So tomorrow I’ll go find me some resistors from 1 ohm to 0.3 ohms to solder in place.

Will report back tomorrow after finishing the mod.

Wonderful results from your research. Sounds like you might have a winner for modding here. Super initiative. TY :-)

And what will hapen if I destroy (melt it with my cheap soldering pencil) original resistor on the driver??

Oh yeah, THANX A LOT!!!

Even with original driver this lights can throw to 360 meter or more, but not putting correct current into it is a waste of such large reflector :slight_smile:

Thats easy! Extend your right hand (or left if you are southpaw), align hand with forehead, strike palm against forehead while making your best Homer Simpson voice… Doh! :stuck_out_tongue: :bigsmile:

that’s what I suggested in the other topic, but be careful, over 1.5A the driver may overheat

You sure did! Thanks for the suggestion and also for the warning not to go over 1.5 amp, will keep that in mind, How long do you think the driver can hold that current without overheating? What happens if it overheats, does it just shut off or does it get damaged permanently? Do you know what component in the board overheats?

Thanks!

I’m finished modding this light, I bought a small 10 ohm 18 turn trimpot and calibrated it to 0.7 ohms and the best thing is that it fits perfectly inside the light!, so now its user adjustable.

Here is a pic of the trimpot mounted on the circuit board, no adjustments required, fits fine!

I took readings at the tailcap and these are the results

On High 1.62 amps

On Medium 0.79 amps

On Low 0.16 amps

The best thing is that I only added a $0.75 part to a $24.25 light, for a whooping total of $25 and I have a very good XM-L thrower driven at about 3 - 3.2 Amps! :party:

that’s very good :wink:

I think the output mosfet transistor(s ) is the most fragile component on this board. Sometimes, when the adjusted current is too much, the transistor desoldered itself simple.
Sometimes the mode selection circuit overheats, you will notice this, when the mode selection become strange.
So I think you should do some longer test at a little lower current than this.

Thank you, I will check out these components and beef them up if needed, although I plan to use this light on medium most of the time, If I notice something wrong I could dial it down a bit

Regarding that matter, recently I left Uniquefire V2 (Dinodirect version)… similar flashlight to this one, on high for 15-30 mins, I dont know how long. And it was in a buble bag, in cardboard box left like this.

When I noticed it it was very hot, not to hot to touch but definitely to hot to hold in hand… Nothing fried.
I think temp of the pill /(inside) was definitely above 70, if not significantly higher. I dont know I dont own thermometer.

I dont know will I be able to get trimpot (store with such things is in one bigger town 80k from me and I dont want to pay high postage expenses :slight_smile: ).

Would it matter if I put 0,5ohm or 1ohm resistor, and wich would be better?

Maybe you can also write current values (a) for different resistances used.

Im in a tough spot because I still dont have good multimeter for measuring current, i have to get one ASAP :o

Nice work Alex,anxious to see the result.This resistor mod could save a whole bunch of time looking around for another suitable driver,thanks!

Here are new beamshots after the mod Stock Eagletac MC34 XM-L on Highest setting

Now Small Sun ZY-T13 on highest setting

Image comparison (Let me know if it works!) Mouse out is Eagletac, Mouse over is Small Sun, The brightest one is the Small Sun!

Well compared to the stock beamshots I think its an amazing improvement

The hotspot is more concentrated on the Small Sun than on the Eagletac and there is much more brighter sidespill, did I say I like the tint of the Small Sun over the Eagletac?