Modding a Maglite XL-50 It's a thrower already, can I make it better? Edit: Nope, It's done, but with a much larger center spot

Weird… From your pictures I would bet almost anything that it’s an XP-G2.

Is there no chance you could’ve been sent a reel of the wrong LEDs?

What does the tint look like, typical 219 4500k?

I'll second red forest UK here, if you zoom in it is clearly a square not a triangle.

Nichia’s don’t look like that usually. Looks a lot like an XP-G2. Nichias have little dots around the dome too, right?

When I get home, I will do a close up of it and the others still on the reel strip, along with the previous reel strip I have. They are all Nichias. They all have the triangle on the corner of the negative side of the led. They are not XP-G2. As far as tint, I have found that they are not all 4500K. They may be labeled as 4500K, but only the very first batch I had, which was several months ago, actually looked like 4500K when powered. The rest seem to wander and meander betweek 5000K to about 5700K+. Even looking at the dies, the color is totally different. Some dark yellow, some light yellow. Also on the back sides, some have gold contact strips and some silver. I do not believe they are all the same Bin/run or CRI rating.

Anyhow, can't do anything till I get home from work, which means most of you will be safe in your beds, so you won't see the photos till tomorrow.

EDIT: It's an XP-G2, how utterly and completely embarrassing!Cry

The tube ID is about 19.2mm. Are you thinking of an 18650? Too short for that. I didn’t measure, but the battery holder is about 10mm longer than an AAA battery, so about 55mm overall?

Maybe a 18500 then. Might have to stretch the spring a little… If that’s what your going for

How much lumens it is? Ever think about modding a few to sell?

They ARE XP-G2 leds!

I ordered Nichias and got XP-G2 leds. I need to contact Craig right away. These XP-G2 leds suck!

When I was at work, I could not look at the photos. When I got home I saw it. Again, I did not look closely, since I bought Nichias and got Cree, Yuk...

MOUSE OVERS of a Fandyfire Rook against the Mag XL50 with the XP-G2 at 1.4a

The ROOK is first (mouse out) and the XL-50 is Mouse Over on all three shots.

mu1

mu2

mu3

I don't like either of them, but the XL-50 is brighter. It's not a thrower any more though. It could hit 100 yards stock, now it won't hit better than 60 yards.

That would explain why you had the impression that your new "Nichias" were cooler.

I don’t even want to talk about it.EmbarassedEmbarassedEmbarassed Frown Foot in Mouth Sealed

Ever....

Whoops.

:D

Btw., am I the only one who thinks that the XL50 looks like the solitaire.. just pumped up?

It was more about fitting a triple but I also have some 18500’s that could work.

That looks like it could be the 1D tint which is nice if you want a cool white but nowhere near even neutral. You must be the reason he was suddenly out of XP-G2’s.

Sorry to hear about the Snafu. I just ordered some 1D’s on 10mm stars and received bare LEDs. He must have some new help breaking in or he’s working late. He really does get orders out fast.

just go past this part!Actually, never show this part again!

Nice work on the XL-50, Justin! I like the pill you designed.

As for it not throwing well at all, have you tried focusing the LED? From the shadow under the reflector opening it looks like you have 2mm, maybe even 3mm, of gap between the LED and the reflector base. Try raising the emitter so it sits inside the hole properly and you may get all of your throw back and more. ;)

+1 I have several of Craig’s XP-G2 3D in use. Nice clean neutral. Very close to the 219 tint but far more powerful.

Those XPG2 beam shots look great to me! I like the larger hotspot and much brighter spill and it looks close to neutral (3D) from here.

That shot down the side of the house; how evenly lit the entire area is. That is a nice useful beam pattern.

Can anyone post a comparison shot of XPG2 3D vs. the High CRI Nichia?^^

Nope, it breaks up and distorts the center spot. I tore it all down, raised the led and the closer you get the bottom of the reflector, to the led, the worse the center spot gets, till it distorts like an old incan look. At least now, the beam can be adjusted by backing the head off a little and I put an extra thin O ring in with that maglite style—what do I want to call it— it’s not an O ring, more like a wiper seal— anyhow I added an O ring in there so the head is stiffer to turn. That way the head can be adjusted. All in all, it’s not a reflector for an XP-G, but it’s what it is.

I'm just not impressed with it. As it was stock, it was a thrower, (which I have no use for), but as it is I would never use it at all. It's no longer a thrower and it's not floody enough to be effective for close up or walking, so to me, it's useless.

As far as the XP-G2 versus the Nichia? The original Nichias I had were more yellow, more like a warm white, but not quite and the color rendition was great. These are white, white and it hurts my eyes, plus the colors are not true, the blues are enhanced, while the reds and greens are not true.

Personally, I just don't care for the Crees any more. I would rather have less light, high CRI and more natural colors.

The reason I put Crees in a lot of them, is because most people just want shockingly bright. All that does is just hurt my eyes.

Anyhow, it's done, or at least I'm done with it, time to move on...

I wish I wasn’t on a serious budget this month, I’d take a few of those xp-g2’s off your hands Justin. Their great in a 40mm reflector.

Don’t worry about it, they do look pretty similar. At least you’ve explained why your newer ‘Nichias’ looked so much cooler than the old ones now :wink:

Some people would be pleased with getting XP-G2s instead of 219s, as they cost more at the moment. I’m sure Craig will sort out a swap for them or something anyway.

The XP-G2 has actually been the most impressive LED I’ve tried to date, the efficiency of an XM-L up to 1.5 amps and almost the throw of an XP-E. Tint on the 3D bin is really nice too.