MT-G2 COURUI Anyone? Another O-L mod. PHOTO HEAVY - BEAM SHOTS ARE UP! 02-06-14

3 x 18650 in parallel will only give 4.2V. An MT-G2 needs 6V to get started. 6 x 18350 makes it a 2 x series light and 8.4V.

this light will only work with 6*18350s

I just used the wrong photo…

This is a light I bought from another member and apparently it was destined for a mod it never got, so my half circle wire is just undoing something that was done and with 9 amps, I wanted to use 18ga wire. Apparently that contact plate is also used in a tail switch light as well as this side switch light. I did not take a photo of the other wire added, because I forgot. I was debating on putting the wire there, or actually adding a switch for lockout, but since I had to move the plate out, for the 18350 batts, I had to just go with the crossover wire too. I will change the photo out, when I finish up the light this week.

I use an exacto knife and just lightly trim around edges on an angle to the surface, to lift off burrs. If they are too heavy, I use sandpaper.

Could you shuffle the battery carrier to have 1 dummy 18650 and the other 2 18650s in series?

Besides that, this is an amazing build! I can’t believe the precision of your handwork. It’s a relatively tiny detail, but the copper spacers on the stacked boards is pure awesome.

Thanks for sharing all the info and great pics.

Yes, it could be done, but that would be too normal.

Finished!

Beam Shots in Post #1.

guess I’m the 1st to see the beamshots. I just laughed! In the 1st picture when he said this is the ‘low setting’, I chuckled and couldn’t wait to se the next picture.

I would be careful, some animal rights activist might come after you. The coyotes vision is definitely challenged now.

Amazing thread!

Again I’m indebted to you for showing us another amazing build. Your hand skills are truly amazing. Are you happy with the way this light turned out and its output compared with others you have built? Thanks.

Wow, great build with incredable output! How far is the bank on the last beamshot?

How is the heat management on this thing? There are not many cooling fins on the body.

really nice job as always OL :open_mouth:

extremely nice work, and excellent rests too, congratulations on another successful monster light

Not all that far, about 120 yards. I don’t have anywhere close that has a lot of room for long shots. Heat management is very poor. In less than one minute, it gets hot enough that you don’t want to hold it any more. The light is thin and as you say, there are no fins. It is not a good host choice for anything other than a 30 second wonder.

I am almost satisfied with the beam. If I could do it over again, I would have raised the led off the star by about 5mm total and then I could have sunk the reflector down enough to get a tighter spot. It is one of the brightest MT-G2 lights I have done. I think the spot is a little smaller with the big reflector, but not enough to mod the light, as the heat sinking cannot ever be good, with a thin wall light.

Unfortunately, an MT-G2 at 10 amps, needs a custom made light, with a one piece head/heat sink, so that heat can be moved quickly away from the led. Something custom with a 20mm thick heat sink shelf and 30mm wall thickness head, with about 20 deep fins cut in it. (fins adding to the overall thickness, not cut out of the 30mm thick walls). OR, it needs Active cooling, which would solve most of the problems........ and create a bunch of new ones.

No words to say
Nice work as usual
you’re the machine :slight_smile:

And a wonder it is! For 120 yards it puts alot of light down range!

Thanks for the information about the thermal management on this light. I was begining to doubt my choice for the FandyFire STL-V6 as a thrower host, now a bit less. :wink:

Very nice work as usual! Awesome!

monster

If you can't find what you're looking for in 30 seconds with that, it's probably not there.

A while ago before the mtg came along I swapped one of the 7135’s for a 7805 voltage regulator. Same package size but just needed a jumper to feed the IC 5V from 3S liion. I still have the board. It worked running 3s XML’s from 3S liion. It’s not quite as simple as the Zener mod but has a wider input voltage range. It wouldn’t be very difficult to design a board to use it instead of the Zener. For 2-3 cells the 2981 is better as it works ~5-16V.

Here is a link to the post showing how to do the mod. Having thought about it for a bit I don’t think this would be a good fit for 3S liion but 3S lifepo4 might work if the voltage sag is great enough.