MT-G2 - Lets measure throw

Ive bored both my reflectors out so that the back of the reflector sits on the star, around 5/16’’ or just over 8mm. The beams appear ok to me. I was to scared to go further. :smiley:

For the MTG2? I need a tad over 1/2" to clear the MTG2's pcb. I'll take some pictures later today.

EDIT: Sorry it took me so long to getting around to taking some pictures of the bored out reflector. Here it is with an unmodified DST reflector on the right.

For those considering dedoming the MT-G2, here is the approach I currently use:

• Tools used: Helping hands, sharp pick, and a heat gun.
  • Aim the heat down on the dome. When you see the solder start to melt, turn off the gun and wait a second for the solder to solidify.
  • Start lifting the dome off. Surface tension will make starting the lift off hard. Once the surface tension breaks, the dome lifts with little effort. If starts to resist, apply more heat. The dome always breaks up. So you basically have to pick/crumble it off . Just keep the temp high so you don't remove phosphor.

They seem pretty easy to dedome to me, but you have to be careful and precise like in any mechanical dedome. I've only done 3 so far, but all have been successful.

You want to protect the dedomed emitter from flux splatter when you solder near it. Also, clean it with alcohol every time before you put it back in a light. I squirt the dedomed emitter with alcohol and also use an alcohol soaked Q-tip to wipe it down. I haven't lost any phosphor doing that and I have cleaned the first couple dedomed emitters many, many times.

Currently, I leave scraps of silicone over the diode area as I don't want to lose any phosphor. I think it can be all lifted off, but I need to get some magnification and have a steady hand day to try a total silicone removal. The scraps (actually like silicone crumbs) don't seem to hurt the beam. Probably reduce lux a bit.

You have to be prepared for failure on any dedome attempt. Best of luck to any that try.

Well you can add one more sample tn35vn fiat lux ~150 kcd it show around 130kcd to my light meter but this model looks like always underperform a little… the light is with dome on. Not sure on amps.

Cool. Thanks for the report Ervin. Any idea what the current to the emitter generally is in that light?

OH, domed or dedomed?

Sorry, I need to read more carefully.

EDIT: Damn, that's a real good number for having a dome. Very impressive.

Current maybe is between ~7 and ~7.5 and the led is with dome

Sounds like a truly awesome light. I picture the beam being a floody throw. Must really light up an area nicely. I'm jell.

I've never seen this thread. Well, I miss a lot, since I only ever look at the front page any more. Looks like a good thread.

Thank you O-L. With the price coming down, hopefully people will experiment more with the MT-G2.

I was looking and culdnt find a way on how to measure throw

Hey there Wrath. Long time no see. Hope you and yours are doing well.

It's fairly easy. Just set up your light meter and measure the distance between it and your light. Set the meter to Max so that it keeps the highest reading displayed. Turn on the light meter then turn on your light. I like to move the hot spot around on the sensor so that the brightest part of it hopefully hits it. Then just put your numbers in this formula:

Meters Squared * Lux Reading

Ahh I see thanks! Nah im not yet married heh

But first i got to get myself a light meter :stuck_out_tongue: