My New (Slighty Modded) Lumintop EDC18

Ha! I was literally thinking that as i read the first part of your text. I did a little watch modding to my Seiko 007 doing that exact thing :slight_smile:

Thanks for the info, i noticed with the pattern on this Carclo 10507 is a little odd with these lines? Does this look right to you? Or do i need to reseat it? Can you see those prisms?

You may need to reseat it. Its definitely not as smooth as the factory frosted optics, but not that bad either. I only have XPL-Hi for reference. I think they had other emitter versions which will change the beam pattern.

Yep, Mine was glued pretty good. Got more pics. A solder pic thru the center LED wire hole, and if I can't force it, I give it a couple light taps with the hammer.

It's not without risks though. Glue all around:

You can see the damage from the solder pick at the corner of the FET, just below R4. Fortunately it didn't effect the driver. You have to kind of feel with the solder pick, try not to put in on a chip when you hammer:

I used the following method to remove the Lumintop EDC18 lens retainer ring.

I wrapped 2 inch wide sticky duct tape very tightly around a piece of 2 inch wide flat bar with the sticky side out so I had a 2 x 2 inch pad of sticky duct tape on both sides of the flat bar. I placed the flat bar on a counter top (where it stuck solidly because of the sticky duct tape) and then pressed the lens retainer ring against the duct tape and there was now enough friction to easily remove it.

Everything else I tried slipped too much. The duct tape originally kept slipping on it's non-sticky side while trying to hold it by hand until I used the tightly wrapped flat bar which kept the duct tape tight so it did not slip after being placed with one sticky side down on the counter top and one sticky side up to place the lens retainer ring against.

Heavy duty double sided sticky tape could also work for extra friction but I did not have any of that available at the time.

I used a piece of 3M Safety Walk tape. It is a textured rubber grip tape with a very sticky glue on the back. Slapped a fresh piece on the front of the light. Pressed the bezel into the palm of my hand and turned. The bezel came right off with no effort.

I use blue semi-sticky gloves, think commonly available. I got them at Lowes I believe. Recently with these gloves I broke thru threads with red Loctite, so they work pretty well, much better than the jar opener pads I've tried.

Lol - ok I’ll play. I used the back of my mouse pad. Worked like a charm. No slip came right off.

Does anybody have any comparison beam pictures between standard lens on EDC18 vs. Carclo 10507? (there is a video on YT, but hard to see)