My Olight M22 lanyard broke

I read exactly what you wrote and said ‘mortuus’…. more than once, to verify my disbelief was indeed real. :wink:
And I agree with you on this point, all the blabbering is pointless. :+1:
Hope your new lanyards work out well for you.

Whoa, Jack! I just realized… that’s a FOY picture!!! I’llbeforeverdanged!

Yep . It’s only been a little over a year since we saw the last of Foy .

REPOST

There’s a guy on this board that’s named Foy

When posting he doesn’t play coy

He says what he sees

All the rest will agree

He’s a Solarforce shill , that’s his ploy

Well flashlights are his favorite toy

And his neighbors he’ll sometimes annoy

While they’re trying to sleep

He’s up shining lights deep

Into backyards and alleys with joy

Lots of energy he does employ

and his spare time he’ll sometimes destroy

When he buys a flashlight

He will stay up all night

To make sure it’s the Real McCoy

Shock cord is fantastic & makes an extremely versatile lanyard.

Some old timers might remember this…

I got some of the 3mm Dyneema cord in today, SK98 I think, some 3000 lbs strength rating. Spent some time this morning learning to tie a knot that looks like a ball, fitted several favorite lights with this nice looking black braid cord so I won’t have to worry about em hitting the ground. :slight_smile:

Edit: Ah, sorry, I got the Marlow EXCEL D12 MAX 78 3mm Black which has a 3322 lb breaking strength. Crazy! The stuff is pretty cool, a bit tough to tie paracord knots in but then, I’m watching YouTube’s to learn how so it’s probably me as much as anything.

You sure won’t… unless your wrist & hand go with it… :stuck_out_tongue:

Was it a “monkey fist” you learned to tie???

From a safety standpoint, a lanyard that is strong enough to tear your arm off if the flashlight gets caught in/on something might not be the best idea.

False Turks head? Lanyard stop another called it.

OK, yeah I know it. Thanks…… :+1:

You are so right Kindle, we discussed the “safety” aspect several post back. It is certainly something to be aware of. Probably, if you get right down to it; Paracord would probably do the same thing if it was wrapped tightly around a wrist.

Dale mentioned that is most probably why the lanyards that come with most lights have that thin cord on the connection end…. so it will break in a ‘hangup situation’.

Here’s a little trick I’ve used when making a 550 cord lanyard . Instead of tying the ends together , if you melt-splice the ends by melting the ends _and then waiting a few seconds _before pushing the melted ends together , the resulting bond will not be as strong as a quick join . Just make sure that both the outer casing and inner cords are both adhered to each other . If you make a few practice splices you can see how much force it will take to break the bond and how long to let the melted ends cool to get the right amount of weakness .
Alternatively , you can use a small O-ring to fasten two cords together and then knot the ends . This will provide a safety break-away .
I’ve used both of these techniques successfully and highly recommend using some sort of break-away with 550 cord , especially for a neck lanyard .

That is a neat trick! Thanks for sharing it………… :+1:

I make my own lanyards precisely for the reason shown by the OP. I use 50# test rigging line for fishing as the breakaway, then stronger stuff around my wrist.

BTW, I worked in industry and haven’t worn my wedding band in 40 years. It’s just too dangerous to wear anything that could get hung up and pull one in.

I like the o-ring idea and melt/bond idea for a breakaway connection though.

Wondering what the ratio is of people that wear wedding bands to people that have lost a finger due to one? I know it CAN happen, like I could win the lottery.

I know machinists with missing fingers in spite of not wearing the ring. I know a girl that ran a drive through gas station, hung her ring on the window frame when she went to slide the window shut and not only pulled the finger off but all the tendons up to her wrist along with it. She tells it like it was a freak accident, I never figured out why she was slamming the window THAT hard! My drunken ex brother in law left his finger in the tubing bender at the furniture manufacturing plant. Only 1 of the idiotic things that one has done in his lifetime, but right up there with getting bit by a rattlesnake while playing around tapping it on it’s head.

Get complacent and bad things are gonna happen.

As we all know, o-rings degenerate and get cracks, break. Routine inspection and maintenance has to be applied. Glued paracord, same issue. Skinny attachment strings on free lanyards, exact same thing. Due diligence, inspect and replace as needed. Our lights are tools we rely on, carry around with us and sometimes abuse. They get dropped, thrown, kicked, smacked, whacked, dunked, hammered and all sorts of things. Most of the time, they keep working. When they don’t, we upgrade components or replace the light. Such is life, right?

Just because things can happen despite precautions is no reason to play the odds. That’s not what industrial safety is about. If it is, I choose to work elsewhere. Except I choose to be retired having worked safely except when management got involved and almost killed me with that attitude. So if you choose to play the odds go right ahead. Just don’t tell me about it or try to justify it.

better info — of the people at risk (who work on things that can snag a ring), how many ….

Typing is relatively safe, no typewriter is going to rip off a finger ….

Hank, I don’t know what fully happened, I don’t know that anyone knows, if anyone does we never learned of it. But we’d been told nothing except not to wear rings and such around the machinery years before, during our orientations, so it had been known…

I worked in an industry where ones body wouldn’t have slowed the machinery down at all. It ran at 60 MPH and flesh was insignificant. We worked (literally) inside it and around it daily. On a daily basis I was inside a machine, on a catwalk, that with one misstep could kill me. The catwalk was my safety equipment. Nothing was worn, beyond clothing, that could be a problem, at least if one had a working brain.

We had an engineer at work who designed a specific piece of the equipment. Massive equipment. He went where he shouldn’t have been and obviously put his hand where it shouldn’t have been. He was sucked up in to the shoulder and his arm was stripped of skin and flesh and since it operated in the hundreds of degrees it was also cooked. He lived, so I heard, but I never saw him again. If the rolls had been closed his entire body would have been turned into a pancake, cooked of course. I worked inside and around that machinery for 23 years. One DOES NOT take chances or plays the odds. It’s either done safely and with reduced odds or it isn’t done. Period. No negotiations about it and no shortcuts. But management always tried to get us to do unsafe stuff. Eff management. I wanted to retire and did. They wanted unsafe stuff to be done, simple. You want it done? Shut it down, or here’s my gear, do it yourself; they never took me up on that offer. Then it was on their shoulders and not supported by my life and limb. If I had been maimed they would have circled the wagons around management and I’d have been all on my own. “Why did he do such an unsafe thing?”, screw that. Not for an hourly wage.

Another private contractor turned himself into hamburger, quite literally, by taking shortcuts. His entire body was chopped up into tiny pieces but he probably never felt anything since it happened so fast. No thanks. Not for me. Yes we had equipment that could turn a log 50 inches in diameter into chips in a 1/2 second. A human body means nothing to the machinery that does that. Yes, that was the machinery that turned that contractor into hamburger. If they buried him they also buried a few tons of wood chips in the grave.

Folks who don’t know simply haven’t a clue what it takes to wipe their butts or to get their magazines printed.

Well put BrianK……… :+1:

I think people are approaching this from two different angles.

For some of us, loose or hanging items can be very dangerous & taking precautions is an absolute must.

Others are using their flashlights in environments where they are very unlikely to be around machinery, or falls so the risks are much lower.

There isn’t a single right or wrong answer for everyone here.

That is an excellent point Kindle.
Some of us do work in environments where a “hangup” can ruin our day at the least and kill us at the worst. While others have about zero chance or hanging up on anything worse than the refrigerator door or toilet flush lever.
Big difference in environments as well as risk management. :wink: