Mystery mod. Updated 7.9.14 (9.7.14) HD2010 MTG-2 AA powered.

I'm sure you do think the answer was in the first post.

No its another HD2010. I seem to have collected four of them over a period of time. Unfortunately they dont breed so need purchasing. A couple of them were from members here, thanks, including the one in the above picture. I had to machine the head and as l like the grey one will not be butchering it.

They can't breed while using cells with protection.

LOL

DST?

Funny bugger. Nice idea though.

I ended up with a a 5 amp XML-2. I'll see how that goes for run time. Heres an assembled picture of a working light.

It had a couple of accidents concerning the chuck, slippage and lots of choice words hence the machined fin and slight damage on the knurling which has been carefully hidden in this picture. Now I need a good centering ring from Tom E.

Your work is just fantastic. One of these days I’m going to have to get one from you. Maybe send you a head and see what kind of body you can make for me? The Courui big head would be a good one.

edit: I still have the Solarforce Light that I won from you. I use it in shorty mode a lot, it sits next to my bed actually. It was my first modded light by the way.

But that isn’t your machine work!

Trust me when I say its pretty rough. I used a short offcut for the tailcap which does not allow me to knurl the part with a solid chunk of metal in the chuck. The finished battery tube was used to hold it which was already knurled so not a lot of force could be applied hence the double up on the knurl. When parting the battery tube of the tool jammed causing damage again to the knurling when the holder slipped in the jaws and the head also got ripped out of the chuck when I was machining the diameter down to screw the battery holder on.

Maybe I should of popped a few pills first? Come around and I'll give you a lesson on what not to do if your game.

Its good to here the Solarforce is still going.Its a shame copper stars were not around then. There is not a hope that it will come apart to upgrade. It was all press fitted together in the vice.

I have no plans of even trying to get it apart. I remember you said it was in there really tough. I like the light just the way it is. I’m mostly using it on the really low light anyway. It’s perfect, for an insomniac like me creeping around the house at night. That way I don’t wake up the old lady and end up banished to the back 40 again!

''banished to the back 40''. Google is no help with that one. It sounds really bad. I hope it does not hurt to much. If l called my darling wife an old lady she would smack me around and that does hurt. No I dont enjoy it, well maybe just a little. She is pretty though, in a massive sort of way.

The back 40 is a farm term. A lot of farms in the area have 40 acre parcels, the back 40 is often wooded and that is where the hunting camp is. So it’s kinda like getting put in the doghouse only you have more room. Sometimes it’s pretty cool because it’s big enough to invite your other friends who have also been banished from the house. I grew up farming and we still have some of the family farm left. Actually if you include all my uncle’s property we own a good part of the county. My Grandmother and Grandfather both had 11 siblings and they were all farmers.

I can get away with calling my wife The Old Lady only because she calls me her Old Man. :bigsmile:

OP updated with the finished light.

wow!

A beautiful light!

Nice.
I guess you’re using a stock HD2010 reflector ?

Yes. I cant remember if I had to enlarge the hole in the led or not.

Excellent, beautiful, fabulous! I’m sure your wife will love it.

I was wondering how it would be using 14500 in a 2S4P configuration?

The drivers rated 5.5 to 15 volts. The idea of the light was to use NiMH batteries. I'm not sure the wife likes anything to do with flashlights. I just built her up a custom F13 for walking and she wondered why when there's a shelf full of lights she can take her pick from.

heheh wifes the same. She likes the 5 led to go walking at night but she couldn’t give a rats ass about them

Sweet! Did you use the end mill on the tube? I’ve used that driver for a few different things. It cuts out too early on 5 cells and works well on 7 but I think 6 is the sweet spot for nimh’s.

Sorry RBD. I missed your question. A 6mm domed end mill was used to do the pattern. From memory it was rotated 30 degrees between the lengthwise runs. I've passed it onto a quiet member here Ezarc that has done lots for me here behind the scenes and I owed him a big thanks.

I've done the same type of pattern on a smaller light and to get the same look its distance between lines is 60 degrees. I'm building a new light at the moment that has me again just a little excited. It will be a keeper and if it works and battery's ever rock up will run on 5 x 32650s. The good wife may have to do extra gym workouts to carry it around.