New build inspired by the most inspirational member here. OL. Updated 26.3.17 post 235. One light has been completed.

I have a feeling OL is very proud of what you are doing.

If I get a solid 4” piece, can you hold it to do the turning work? Say 4” X 1.75” :wink: TL

Jerommel jealous of MRsDNF workshop…

I have tried 4 times to swim over there and steal his saw!!! That is a work of art and really needs to be in >>>> MY <<<<<< shop!!! :innocent: TL

Thanks TL for the brass offer. Maybe we could hijack one of those Amazon drones to ship it over if you find a piece.
Plan B maybe just around the corner if some brass does not mysteriously appear. Looking around the shed I found some old oil filter black plastic caps. I may have a go at machining one of them up to see how it go’s.
Ordered some 2.5mmx12mm button head cap screws last night to hold all the front end together. They might be here within the next month or so.

Just let me know Steve. Thanks for building this and letting us watch :+1: !! TL

I just received back a quote on brass.

50mm Long
101.6mm Dia
@$80.00 pce + GST

107.95mm Dia
@$90.00 pce + GST

Ouch.

Steve,
The piece I found was 4” X 1.75 long…. it was half that…but getting it to you would probably make the price the same. Metal is getting high again. Even Aluminum here has gone up. I thought it would when I seen that Tin had gone up a lot a mont or so back.

PM Sent! TL

I’ll answer your PM tonight TL. I cant get brass in a thick enough wall thickness in pipe so the price above is for solid round.
Yes the price of raw materials these days isn’t what it used to be.

Any old fire hose couplings around?

Your very idea has crossed my mind. I’ll have another look on eBay when l have a little more time.

Been keeping up with the build when I have the time to look at it properly.

Keep up the good work, Steve. :beer:

how would bronze hollow bar go ?
to porous ?

I’m being fussy here but I’m not a fan of the color of Bronze.

No reason not to be fussy when creating a masterpiece. In fact, it’s probably mandatory.

What he said.

:slight_smile: Thanks for the vote of support. Received another quote today from another metal supplier. Yes it was double the price. :stuck_out_tongue:

I made up a rough bezel from the plastic cap to see what it looked like.
This is what the cap was before it was cut up.

And on the light after machining. If it was to be used I would profile it once it was bolted to the head.

Since it won’t be threaded could you mill it from flat stock instead?

what he said