New designs from Maxtoch - what lights would you like made?

+1 +1 here too!

Some interesting ideas coming up. Good time to clarify criteria I think.

The designs a manufacturer of scale like Maxtoch will be looking for will be for lights with broad market appeal - lights to be made by the tens of thousands. If a light has appeal only for 50 modders it will take lots of $$ to develop but never recover costs.

So what we need to look at is maybe 3-4 design ideas which have broad market appeal for ‘joe average’, but incorporate also design elements which are immediately atractive to eg BLF modders. Advanced design features must be in a marketable light host to be viable.

Thoughts….

The Eagle eye X6 is a fine looking light - but its only 14,300 lux - is that enough? (Correct me if have made a mistake reading review). I was thinking about a little C8 with serious grunt - eg 40-45k stock.

There appears definite interest in a well made hi performance zoomie aspheric. Also for a 1 or 2 26650 40-50mm head MTG2 light - maybe a Thor’s hammer design dual MTG2 model - I like that idea Texas!! And a lightweight headlamp? With lightweight h/l however you may rule out bigger reflectors (XML2) and dual battery packs.

I will have to look into their current offerings before giving suggestions

Hey mudgripz.

I am glad, once again, that MaxToch is willing to listen to BLF members.

Was this in response to my comment? Maybe I wasn’t clear…my apologies. I didn’t mean to suggest a remake of the X6. I was trying to suggest a light that has the same shape, but larger in proportion, MT-G2 emitter, and powered with a robust 26650 battery. Same ‘Form’, larger ‘Factor’, if you will…

I like the double-triple idea!

I would like to see an SX25L3 sized MT-G2 light with 3*18650 in series driven at 6A. Infinite magnetic control ring. Flat type3 hard ano. To me that'd be perfection!

Hi Krono …you know maxtoch well and it cd be fun getting some exciting new product happening. I like the two ideas and I think they might both have market appeal.

• I like the general Eagle eye X6 design and with a bigger head and 1 or 2 26650/26700 batt config plus MTG2 this could a powerhouse. Develop reflector size/depth for good distance, add in the MTG2’s huge lumen output, and then BLF tech upgrades - copper board/AR/DTP/, then design improvements like side switch not impacting on board etc and it could be a v high performance MTG2. I know maxtoch have been pondering an MTG2 light.
  • I also like the notion of a super grunter MTG2 like Texas’ idea Thor hammer model. Question here Texas - what do you mean by double/triples - MTG2 leds too big for this? - but a hammer or T shaped model running maybe 2 x MTG2s and 1 or 2 26650s at good amps and with AR/copper/DTP etc could be a serious grunter and great fun light. Esp with very useful mode spacing also giving long runtime when walking outdoors etc. Like an extremely grunty DX21…

I suspect there might be market traction for both those ideas - and a quality high zoom performance aspheric with XPG-2 for serious output/throw.

I’d like them to revisit the M12 again. This time have a much thicker heat sink platform that is totally flat or a large copper pill instead. Also a copper star with a direct heat sink path, no dielectric layer. Perhaps redesign the tail cap as well. Thus making the M12 more mod friendly.

a single body tube headlight like nitecore hc50 but with reasonable price and selectable tint :bigsmile:

>> mod friendly lights or even better, offer some good hosts for sale!!

> The designs a manufacturer of scale like Maxtoch will be looking for will be for lights with
> broad market appeal – lights to be made by the tens of thousands.

These aren’t inconsistent — if they make pill lights, or no-pill lights, making at least one model with really good heat transfer (by carving away less metal, leaving some mass) will let them pitch that light as a high-end one for mass market and at the same time sell the modders the host without driver and LED at a real good low price.
Heck, leave off the tailswitch or sideswitch as well, that stuff is generic enough. Just divert a hundred of those before the stock parts get put on and sell’em to us here.

If Maxtouch wants really good ideas — that’s the way to do it. Provide the base platform and see what people build. They’ll be amazed.

Some of the ideas coming off that would apply directly back to their mass market — by giving them better ideas about what driver and emitter can go into that one excellent host body.

Then they can copy the best ideas they can afford and call it their MegaThumper V2.1 and charge even more for it.

Just feed the modders and they’ll keep you a step or two into the future where you want to be led.

Something that can take P60 pills loaded from the rear of the head - remove head and put in P60 pill of your choice. I’m not talking a regular EDC sized P60 but either bighead thrower (around 60mm head) or a bighead zoomie.

Would be the bomb for customisers and real versatile.

I was pondering twin triple XP-G2. Six leds total. Or a XM-L2 in one side for some throw. 26650’s have the current capacity to run these set ups at 5-6 amps without struggle.
New MaxToch DX21 for the twin MT-G2. Looking at the face of the Niwalker MiniMax Nova MM15 its got soo much wasted reflector area. Make the reflectors better defined, cut out the wasted area. So back to the oversized DX21. Two-three good 26650’s so hold its own to get that 5200 lumens.

I would like a 2 x 18650 big head similar to the sn6x-sx with control ring as good as the srt7. Stainless steel bezel and end, must tail-stand, forward clicky for momentary on.

A zoomie with 50mm AR coated lens, short focal length tuned to work with 1mm square emitters-XPE2 and oslon,dual switch(side and tail),2x18650,twist zoom,1” O.D. battery tube for weapons mounting, screw in pill that accepts 20mm stars, a driver with user selectable current output starting at 1A and going up to 5A or even higher-like the TaskLed drivers. A ramping UI is all that is needed.

I would like programmable drivers, large reflectors for amazing throw (100mm anyone?), no dielectric mcpcb, anodized square threads, linear/boost drivers for constant brightness, side switches, anodizing that can take a fall on concrete and multi battery in parallel lights, and 4AA lights.

I tried looking up their website to see their current offerings, but i had no luck

1) Above-spec-driven emitters. Gotta start going higher than 3 amps. Maybe 3.8 to the emitter.

2) More lights with a separate button for mode-memory.

3) Pocket throwers, XP-G2s, and nichias are several I can think of by way of emitters.

Yes please! With a light orange-peel reflector. This should be one heckuva flooder.

A *ZOOMIE *quite like the Uniquefire UF-1405 but….
with a decent (3.5 - 4 amps) driver. Hopefully at full zoom would hit the 200kCd mark :smiley:

Hmm... Thinking about what krono suggested.

Take the X6. Scale the tube up up to fit 6 18650 batteries 2S3P.

Let the head size follow the same scale (the proportions of this light are nice) and remember to let the led shelf thickness scale up too. ( eg from ~2-3 mm up to 5~6mm)

Put a large-ish reflector in the middle of that head with a proper driven xm-l2 in copper board.

Leave space around teh edge to be able to put another 3 xm-l2 in. These should sit in small TIR optics with wide beam patterns.

Be able to run the leds independently. SO either the thrower in the middle OR the flooders around the edge...

Just an idea.

That would be very interesting!